I need a starter.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
This 71 Satellite 318 is ready for the engine install.So with headers that old hevay starter has to go,so could you gentsssssssssssss start me on the right track,as to what year, make,on the smaller starter to get,with out any mods to get it in. thanks again.

003.JPG

I bought a starter for an 89 Dodge Truck with a 318 when I needed one for my Duster with a 360. I chose this because I have an 89 Dodge truck with a 318 and I knew it would fit. It is a great upgrade. The only issue you will find is the wiring terminals are not ideal for a car with Headers, but it can easily be made work.

Cley

I bought a starter for an 89 Dodge Truck with a 318 when I needed one for my Duster with a 360. I chose this because I have an 89 Dodge truck with a 318 and I knew it would fit. It is a great upgrade. The only issue you will find is the wiring terminals are not ideal for a car with Headers, but it can easily be made work.

Cley
Thats what i am afraid of so hopefully someone can show with pics how to.

I don't have pics, but all you do is remove a small plastic cap and remove 2 nuts holding the buss bar type adapter to the starter. Then you just connect the 2 original wires where the adapter piece bolts on. Someone on this site sells a replacement buss bar adapter to make it a fool proof deal, but it almost is anyway.

Cley

If the starter has the adaptor, take it off. Or buy the MP ministarter (not the no-name copies). Probably will be the last starter you buy.

Thats what i am afraid of so hopefully someone can show with pics how to.

Here ya go Don.
I split the OE molded piece where the red line is, took the adapter section off the starter if it has one, and I think I might have had to open one of the cable ends a little.
Other than that the OE wires went right on.
Someone makes an adapter for them, but I would rather just have the OE wires connect directly on the starter rather than add a possible fail point.

cable.jpg

ministarter.jpg

Do a search on this site as there are many threads showing what stater to buy (even model/part numbers!!) along with wiring terminal tips. All the info you need is already on this site.

I didn't have to mod any of the studs or change their location to clear the block, so you might want to test fit it and see.

I have had to grind a little bit off of the engine block when going to the mini starters. Both were 360 LA blocks. The starter would hit it just enough that it would not bolt up flush. Don't draw it in with the bolts! You'll break an ear off of the starter. Did not have to do anything with the wiring on the Duster. It will be the last starter you'll ever buy... they work great! :)

I bought one for a mid 90's V6 Dakota. The applications are pretty universal. Mine bolted right up.
More Information for POWER SELECT 17573N
Looks like the 1 I will get,just called my Car QUEST DEALER with that part number from rock auto,she cross matched and has 1 in stock for 106 canadian,it looks just like the 1 that was on my old 318 Duster..Thanksssssssssssssssssss.

-
Back