I Need Help Diagnosing A Steering Issue I'm Having

-

72demon-777

Reaction score
I just finished installing a new aluminum radiator in my 72 demon. While removing the old radiator I accidentally broke a transmission cooler line. While replacing the new radiator and new transmission cooler lines I removed the power steering pump to give me more room to work the new cooler lines through to the transmission.

I finally got everything back together yesterday (it was a process because I went to a V8 radiator on a slant six engine so when I swap over to a 340 I don't then have to replace my radiator). I filled all the fluids and took it around the block for a quick drive.

I now have a situation with my steering. First I noticed a chirping sound when I make a turn, doesn't matter if it's left or right. And then on the final couple turns to get the car back home the power steering would cut out for a few seconds. I checked PS fluid level and that was fine. I am thinking that my belt is slipping either because I got some "gunk" on the belt or there is not enough tension. Is there a process for making sure there is appropriate tension on that belt? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

If you grab the belt in the middle of the span between pullies, and move it in and out as far as it will go, then it should not move more than about 1/2". Also, you just might have oil on the belt; I would clean with alcohol.

The other thing to try is to bleed the pump to remove any air. This is done by turning the wheels lock to lock a few times.

Thanks. I'm going to check the belt tension and adjust the pump mount if it does seem too slack. I'll clean the belt with some alcohol for good measure. I don't "think" that I damaged the pump lines as I only loosened the hose clamps enough to remove them from the pump, but I'll give them a good look as well. Then once the weather clears up I'll get her back out on the road and see if the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the advice!

How did you tension it? All these, so far as I know, had a square punched into the bracket somewhere so you could put a ratchet / breaker bar in there and pull on the pump

-
Back