I need more timing adjustment

-

honcho

Reaction score
Hey folks,what am I missing here. 64 225/6. Carter 1 barrel with new kit,just about everything on her is either new or rebuilt. Changing over the electronic ignition this week. The bolt holding the dist down won't let me give her more timing. Am I missing a trick???? She wants more timing advance. The timing now is about 1/4" above the 0 TDC mark on the flywheel. Need some help from you gear heads and thank you Todd

Your dist. sort of has two timing adjustments, see the drawing. There's a slotted hole where it clamps to the dist. and one at the engine. If the combo of those two isn't enough, you'll have to pull the dist. and move the gear a tooth. But if it HAD been running and timed OK, I'd suspect something wrong -- light the dampener has slipped, or the timing chain has slipped.

20arj4l.jpg

Sounds like your a gear tooth off when you installed the new dizzy. When you turn the dizzy to advance the timing does it bang into something so you can't go any further? I have zero experience with slant 6's but thats my 2 cents. Good luck!

There is usually a bolt that holds the adjustment plate on bottom of distributor. Might need to adjust that plate so you get the dist to swing in range you want.

Did not install new dist,everything is stock,been in storage shed for 15 yrs,prior to that,daily driver. Let me ask ya, have a good Carter 1 barrel on her now,what about trying a Holley 1920 on her???? We are gonna put electronic ignition on her this weekend,but can get a reman 1920 from Orielly's. Which is better,Carter or Holley?????Right now the gas mileage is 19.8,but it flutters shifting thru gears,not as smooth as I want it,yea I'm anal. Going with pertronix 1361a ignition kit,this is gonna be my wife's daily driver,she drove it to work today. I just wanna tweak it to the max and cover all the bases Thanks again

Using the mopar electronic dizzy with the orange box I went from around 15mpg with my '66 cuda (360 4bbl with 2.91 gears) now I get easily 18-19mpg. Don't know much about the pertronix kit, it seemed a little complicated. I wanted to be able to get parts easily if it ever broke down so went with the Mopar kit which is basically just the 70's stock dizzy set up.

Carter better in my op.

Stick with the carter,you won't see much difference by changing to a holley. I think that # petronix is for the # 1 and is a easy swap.The Petronix # 2 requires their coil with the correct ohms.Been using their stuff for 10 or so years without a hitch.Read the instructions,before and during the installation so you don't miss anything.You will be good to go.

You could go the HEI route. Seems cheap enough, especially if you secure a coil and bracket from a junk yard. If your lucky you'd even find the 4 pin HEI module you need.

that will do away with the need for the orange box as well :)

It is sooo easy to be a tooth of on the dist. It may have been off the whole time and everything ran good 15 years ago.... That is a long time to sit. Should pull the Dist and do a gap check and make sure the insides are in good shape. Took me a few tries to get it right.

-
Back