I need some advice. My friends 68 Cuda decklid trim does not line up correctly

-

ng8264723

Reaction score
My first question is are all decklids 67-69 the same? The trim on his is clearly not lining up with the tailights. It seems like it was from a different model. I'm a ford guy and I do not know anything about mopars. I am trying to help a friend out

All are the same from 67 to 69 except for the trim holes. All 3 are different.
Even when brand new back in the day, the 2 strips of trim did not line up very well with the tail lights.
By the way, there is a top and bottom.

Pictures?

Funny, I have a younger friend who is a Ford guy and I help him out a lot. Same thing, I tell him I'm a Mopar guy so a lot of what I help him with is new to me.
He told me if I had been around in his younger years he probably would have gone Mopar. He bought his first Mope last year, a 73 Charger with a 400.

The decklids are basically the same (sheetmetal wise) the main difference is the mounting holes for the trim, because the trim was different each year. In '68 there are two trim strips from t/lite to t/lite. They are different, they are top and bottom. The top has a single row of clips (seven I think) and the bottom clips have a double row of studs (again seven clips but fourteen studs). The fitment of the trim pieces/ trunk sheet metal/ and t/lites vary from car to car.

By the way, there is a top and bottom.

They can also be upside down. I was just looking at my trunk lid trim ('67 Barracuda) and how it didn't line up to the turn signals. I took a closer look and determined that the previous owner had the bottom one mounted upside down. The black line in the trim is not centered. I took it loose, flipped it over, and it lines up much better now.

Look at red circled areas in picture below:

Trunk Trim.jpg

All three years are different in trim mounting holes and more. They do not all share the same bump stop, as well some structural holes as viewed from the inside. Some had holes for the circle fish on the deck face 67 or 68 not for sure at the moment maybe both, but not 69. Otherwise the demensions are the same.

All three years are different in trim mounting holes and more. They do not all share the same bump stop, as well some structural holes as viewed from the inside. Some had holes for the circle fish on the deck face 67 or 68 not for sure at the moment maybe both, but not 69. Otherwise the demensions are the same.

You can push on them while titening them down to help a little. Ever notice, most of the ss/ahr cars don't line up either, and they are ultra hi dollar builds. I don't hink I`ve ever seen a 68 line up perfect but one time. The article said he took an 1/8" slice out of them to make them perfect , if I remember right. I bought a brand new 68 form S 383 fastback in 1968, and it didn`t line up either.

Yeah but this car looks like it has different trim. I will take pics this weekend when I goto my house. My buds car is at my house. I'm helping him with a motor rebuild

FB_IMG_1522104540151.jpg
My car had the right deck lid trim when I bought it almost 30 years ago but it had the wrong year tail lights. It all physically fit but sure looked funky.

Last edited:
It looks good. I remember a few minutes of re-alignment after the new trunk seal was installed, but as has been said already, perfect lines and gaps were rare.
FB_IMG_1526155940534.jpg

Have the 1/4's been replaced? That may be the reason for misalignment?
See how everything looks with trim removed to give you an idea?
Welcome aboard, beautiful fish.

Have the 1/4's been replaced? That may be the reason for misalignment?
See how everything looks with trim removed to give you an idea?
Welcome aboard, beautiful fish.
Hi,
no they have not been replaced, This car has never been restored it only has 48k original miles I bought it from the original owner 26 years ago with only 31k miles. It still had the window sticker and options booklet in the glove box. It was in showroom condition I just had to buy it!

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,
no they have not been replaced, This car has never been restored it only has 48k original miles I bought it from the original owner 26 years ago with only 31k miles. It still had the window sticker and options booklet in the glove box. It was in showroom condition I just had to buy it!

Thanks,
Dave
darn nice car!!

-
Back