I received a bad part. What should I do?

-
I had a similar issue with a member here. He said "Sure, send the parts back and I'll refund your money". Never did get the refund so I'm out the parts and the 81 dollars. Beware

If I were the seller I would give you your money back. Buying used parts over the internet is always a gamble. The term "Buyer Beware" comes to mind.

Heck I've bought some ramufactured stuff and I am replacing it with brand new stuff!

i'm the seller,i think mark wanted a new part for used price.i was honest in my description of the box,it came off a good friends truck that he'd owned for 10 years and drove great...you move the steering wheel and the wheels moved with minimal play as i described.i would not have wasted my time pulling and cleaning it if i thought it wasn't good.when i inspected it for mark i just held the box down on the desk and twisted the pitman arm....it rolled silky smooth lock to lock....being that i had drove the truck i didn't see any reason to check any further nor did he specify for me to check any further.it was in good working order when i shipped it to him ...for a used 32 year old part.i have tried to settle this with mark by offering him 45$ and him keep the box or a 60$ and him send it back which is the full price of the box minus shipping.i have sold a lot of parts on here and other places and this is the first complaint....and hopefully the last.its hard to please everyone all the time but i do want to resolve this where we both can be happy.i always try to describe my parts as good as i can,and i feel like we both are at fault here somewhat and neither should be made to eat it all...i will go as far as sending him the full 60$ and he keep the box to save him from shipping it back....i think that is fair.i just saw this post this morning and had to put my side on here.thanks guys

$60 back and he keeps the box sounds fair to me. Its the shipping that would be hard to reimburst. No matter what you do someone would have to eat the shipping. So letting Mark keep the box would release him of the shipping to return it. That does sound fair. Hope you all can resolve this. Sounds like Mark has a valid complaint . But I would have to lean toward Mikes answer to resolving this issue. A full refund would require a return of the item which would be the responsibility of the buyer to ship it back. So by the seller letting Mark keep the box its Saving him the difference. Steve

IMO mikebee is offering a fair resolution to this situation. For what it's worth these boxes are being rebuilt by reputable suspension experts every day. The point being that the core value is probably worth more than the shipping loss. Sport

I'm glad the seller has chimed in, and it sounds like this can be worked out between them. FYI, Steer and Gear will buy the unit as a core for $30.00, so if the eventual holder of the item wants to recoup at least some $$$ from it, take it to the next big show you attend and turn it in to them as a core!!! Geof

the $60.00 and he keep the box sounds fair....I just dealt with the seller personally this week and he was a good guy to deal with and was all about working a deal with me to help me out......so I am sure he is not a bad guy and was not trying to screw the buyer over.

there was just a misunderstanding it looks like and I think the offer he made would work good.....that way the seller isnt at a COMPLETE lose and the buyer gets the majority of his money back. lesson learned.

hope you guys get it figured out!

There is a user feedback thingy on the site somewhere. We should start using it when buying/selling parts here at FABO. Hopefully the guy who sold that bad box was not from here. Buying stuff sight unseen is risky and I have been burnt before too. So far only good in the MOPAR stuff. Even a parts car I paid for and did not go get for several months.

I also have done at least 5 transactions with mikebee, and i bought all of the items sight unseen, and all were just as he stated. So i am sure mark, he was not trying to rob you.

As a matter of fact, i have dealt with mike alot, and if it means that much to you, that you do not feel you got beat, send me your paypal address, and accept the 60 from him and ill reimburst the difference. That is how much i trust mike as an honest and straight seller. I would bank on him any day of the week!

Mike, glad to see you come forward on this. It says a lot about you. :salut:

I have seen a lot of feedback about you and you sure seem like a good guy to me.

I am certain you weren't trying to screw over anyone. You went with what you thought about the part and went out on a limb and said it was in good shape. And it apparently isn't and needs work.

That said, we all make mistakes.

I guess one could ask if the buyer really knows that the box is in bad shape or too.

But let's for a second believe both of you guys cause I think that is the case.

The buyer doesn't need a core or a box that needs rebuilt. He was looking for a box he could use immediately without a rebuild and you said that box you were selling was such a box.

Why is it fair for the buyer to have to be out anything, let alone him having to go thru extra steps to recoup his money, like selling the box?

If a company made a mistake and sent you a defective item, would you go easily along with paying to return the one they sent so you can get the right one?

Fair is fair.

I hope this works out well. We aren't talking a lot of money here...it's the principle I think. Hate to see good folks at odds over what appears to be $25 in shipping costs.

I also have done at least 5 transactions with mikebee, and i bought all of the items sight unseen, and all were just as he stated. So i am sure mark, he was not trying to rob you.

As a matter of fact, i have dealt with mike alot, and if it means that much to you, that you do not feel you got beat, send me your paypal address, and accept the 60 from him and ill reimburst the difference. That is how much i trust mike as an honest and straight seller. I would bank on him any day of the week!
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that Mike was a crook. Not my intention at all. He thought the part was good but it turned out it wasn't. I think the photos tell it all. If it were the other way around, I would have refunded the full amount and told him to do what he wished with the core. As I said to Mike, I would post it here and see what everyone else had to say about it and determine what is fair. I'm not sure what else I could have done before buying to verify it was a good part other than asking him to check it out. I have doubts that the core is worth anything but I'd be willing to take the $60 refund and call it square. Just what I need....another $25 door stop..... :)
Thanks for everyones feedback, Mark

mikebee,

I think that;s a very fair resolution to the issue.

I"ll say thank-you for stepping up to the plate to work it out!

If everyone was like that, the world would be so much simpler!!!!!!

work it guys, move on.

:salut:

mark, like i said, i do not want you to feel shorted either, and i know he did inspect it, and in his opinion, it was good. however, you seem more experienced in determining that the part is in fact bad, and me, by dealing with mike, understand both ends of it, so, i will be more than glad to cough up the remaining 25 bucks.
i buy and sell alot, and ill make up the 25 bucks on the next part i sell.lol

or , if there is something else you are in need of, drop me a line, and ill send it out if i got it.

this way, mike does not get a bad rep over something that was over-looked, as i do not pull them apart either when i sell them.............. and you, you will not have to eat even the shipping cost!
just need a paypal address

And thats the way the cookie crumbles... Lol sorry I couldn't resist

But I'm glad it got worked out

-
Back