I remember when..............

-
I am going to date myself here. LOL

The first T.V. I remember had a round screen.

My first car (72 Demon), gas was 43 cents a gallon and smokes were 43 cents a pack.

Now......just.....wait.....a.........minute..............

Your first COLOR TV is what you mean, right??? If your first car was a 72, and gas was 43, you can't be THAT old.

Until I was in Jr. High, my Mother's parents did NOT have running water, and carried drinking water home in a big milk can. They didn't have a refrigerator, rather an ice box. Grampa used to continuously have a pan in the trunk of the car to bring home big ice blocks once or twice a week.

My parent's first refrigerator, a "Crosley Shelvador"

It got it's name because it was one of the first, maybe THE first to have "shelves in the door."

Ours was a little newer than this one, and did not have a built in radio. But the evaporator ("freezer") was the thing hanging down at top center. You could, as I remember, get about 1 qt of ice cream and a couple of ice cube trays in the thing and THAT was IT

We had that thing until somewhere around 58 when we got a larger one.

Shelvador_Ad.jpg

Now......just.....wait.....a.........minute..............

Your first COLOR TV is what you mean, right??? If your first car was a 72, and gas was 43, you can't be THAT old.

Until I was in Jr. High, my Mother's parents did NOT have running water, and carried drinking water home in a big milk can. They didn't have a refrigerator, rather an ice box. Grampa used to continuously have a pan in the trunk of the car to bring home big ice blocks once or twice a week.

My parent's first refrigerator, a "Crosley Shelvador"

It got it's name because it was one of the first, maybe THE first to have "shelves in the door."

Ours was a little newer than this one, and did not have a built in radio. But the evaporator ("freezer") was the thing hanging down at top center. You could, as I remember, get about 1 qt of ice cream and a couple of ice cube trays in the thing and THAT was IT

We had that thing until somewhere around 58 when we got a larger one.

Shelvador_Ad.jpg

I said it right. The first T.V. I remember the family having was a black and white with a round screen. I was real young then and we were dirt poor so there were not to many extra's in our house. That would have been back in about 61 or 62 and I was born in 56. I can remember the odd thing from when I was younger than that, but that is the first thing I remember that would go in this thread.

Jack

We weren't all that well off, ourselves. We always had a garden, one or two cows, and at least one "beef on the hoof." All our "farm" equipment was old stuff, mostly formerly horsedrawn.

This "Farmall Regular," our family tractor for most of my young years, was built in the late '20's. Dad added a starter (flywheel added between bell and transmission), home built hydraulics, and a homebuilt "buzz saw," as well as a great plow on the front

This is it the day we sold it around ??02?? we DROVE it on the trailer!!!

You can see part of the "buzz saw" behind on the trailer, and you can see the snowplow mounts hanging down in front of the tires. Hand cranked, most of the time.

We had no baler until after I joined the Navy, so we put it up "loose." Our old mower was formerly horse drawn, and the first couple years, I had to ride the "dump rake." I was young then, and could not hold it down. Had to use a broom handle jammed in the pedal with my foot on the stick.

We burned wood, and there was a creek and beaver, who constantly ruined cottonwood trees. So we burned them just to try and keep ahead of 'em. Worst wood on the planet for heating. Hard to split!!! too.

14aykxz.jpg

That would have had to been a VERY early TV or else a color set with a problem.

Even sets of the middle 50's had rectangular tubes, unless color. So I guess you could have gotten a 10? year old set? Our first, a BW Zenith console, was rectangular, and I want to say I was in the 6th? grade, so about 58-59. It was used, but not very old, so probably new around '55

I must'a junked out 20 or 30 TV sets as a youngster, getting interested in electronics. In those days you had three major "build" strategies

1 The best, used a "power transformer" which provided 5V for the rectifier, 6.3V for all the tube filaments except the CRT and HV rectifier, and low and high voltage windings. These monsters were GREAT for building "ham radio" transmitters and other projects

2 Second best was one that had a "filament transformer" which ran the tube filaments. "High voltage" (B+) was derived right off the 120V line, so these sets "could" be dangerous

3 WORST was the "transformerless" sets which used tubes with weird filamaent voltages, so that when, wired in series, all the tubes "added up" to 120V AC. This means that if ONE tube went bad, you had to check them all. Could be "quite dangerous" because there was no isolation from the AC line.

When "we" were young, "we" used to be "deathy afraid" of imploding the bomb that was the picture tube. These tubes are in effect a giant hi voltage capacitor. I once had one had been up in the garage attic for a few weeks, and went to move the thing, and STILL got a nasty jolt out of it.

This is going great Guy's ,Your making me remember a lot of my childhood!!!! things I haven't thought about in a while!!!!!! Here is one for you---I remember going with my mom to the pharmacy (rexall) and the guy behind the counter actually used one of those ceramic bowls and a ceramic thing to crush stuff and make whatever my mom needed and also they had the BEST coke bottle candy for 1 cent,I have never ever found that candy again and I do look for it,They have coke bottle candy now but it's not the same, Also I grew up on powdered milk(sanalac) and never had real butter unless I would go to a rich kids house,They had real milk and butter--Steve

I was 20 yrs old, driving a 67 442 that got 4 MPG. I was filling it up each day driving to work at the MOPAR plant in Detroit Mich. I was complaining about gas was so high, i was filing it up for .27 cents a gal and sometimes find a gas war and get it for .23. AND did i mention that it was "high test" with 115 octane at the local Gulf.

I worked at Chrysler and i remember making the coment at work one day, that I wonder what all these shaker hoods were going. I made 200/ hour, 5 days a week and that happened for 3 shifts each day and went on for about 3 months. man! that was a lot of shaker hoods. where are they today?

I also remember the new set it 8.25 x14" tires i put on the 442. man they were nice and fat.

I remember later having a police cruiser and having one of the first sets of radial tires put on it and you could not hold it in the road! I said they would never make it! what a load of crap, and wanted them replaced.
A new thing came out, it was a microwave. I put a hot dog in it and in 5 seconds it blew up. I took it back!. waited 5 years before they got better and bought another.

I remember taking the power stearing belt off at the drag strip to get a couple more horses, took out the floor mats and anything else that wasn't nailed down to get more speed. It had stock 350 hp, but 355 was better etc. im sure i squeezed out at least 1 more MPH!

I remember laughing at the puny 350 chevy and and said what a sorry engine. It didn't have even 300 horses. what a granny motor. now I wish i had 200 horses!.

o well, its been a while.

I remember the Gonella bread trucks that drop off bread at the restaraunts in Chicago, still warm.
Day old doughnuts at the bakery for 5 cents.
Smokes and gas all for well under a buck.
My sisters giving me the key to their car when I was 12 or 13 to get them smokes.
6 pack of Old Style beer for a bit over 2 dollars.
Drinking age was 18 in Wisconsin so we'd all chip in gas money and head North for the evening (lost a friend doing that too, damn dangerous).
Like others said, being out on the bike until the street lights came on, no worries.
50 cents wouldn't buy a gallon of gas and some candy but it would buy a white bag full of candy from the drug store.
Returnable bottles (that's how we'd get the 50 cents, lol).
10 cent bottled soda from a vending machine that you opened lid on at the top at the laundry-mat. It was awesome soda made locally in Park Falls Wisconsin... the name escapes me though.

I can remember 5c soda fountain pop at the drugstore, 5c candy bars at the grocery, and 5c ice cream cones at the Frosty Whip. Hair cuts were 20c for a crew cut, 25c for a flat top. I mowed lawns for any where from 50c to $2 depending on the size of the lawn. The $2 lawn was about an acre. My first "real job", was pumping gas for a buck an hour. I was rolling in the dough then. After school, and on weekends, I made about $25-$30 a week. Wednesday nights, we could go to the drive inn movie, and get a carload in for a $1. That was in the 60's. Things were good. 1953 model here.

Although I wasn't driving age at the time, I can remember sales ads in the paper for $25 "performance radial tires"

I've always wanted to spend a week to a month (at my current age) in the 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's, 20's etc. I guess this is the closest I can get for the 40-80's. Thanks everyone for the nostalgia tour.

Okay.. Its IMPOSSIBLE to top the post from OCDart, but here's mine anyway.....
Try telling kids that WE had to stop and find a pay phone when we needed to make a call.
WE bought a cassette tape of music for $12 only to find that there were only 2 or 3 songs on it worth listening to.
We really thought that he "ghetto blaster" was cool. Yeah... 18 lbs and twice the size of a cinder block... REAL cool.
We watched TV and waited until the commercials to pee. NO DVRs back then.
We took pictures, then waited 3 days for them to be developed at the "Fotomat". If there were bad pictures in the pack, too bad.
When VCRs came out, they were the size of a large travel suitcase. Many were so expensive, you RENTED them at the video store along with the tapes!

I am 22 now so in 1993 I remember buying little pieces of candy for 3 cents each.. double bubble bubble gum and jolly ranchers... now they are 15 cents each.. I also remember gas being 69 cents a gallon and then 1.19 and eventually working its way back up.. I am a man of the past that was born in the future.. and I only get the cons.. :(

Lol; you spring chickens. 61 here; outhouses, no indoor plumbing (if you did, it was the hand pump at the kitchen sink) No heat, except for grandmother keeping the wood stove lit all night, so she could cook breakfast at 5 am.

Walk miles, if you wanted to go somewhere. Cokes, 5 cents, cigs 25 cents, gas 25 cents. Need to run up credit at the local store at 8 years old? good for it, as they knew where you lived, lol.

box of 50 .22 shorts; .59. Long rifles .79. School lunch- .25 through 8th grade; .75 in high school. No govt involved. Air pistols, $8; WW2 rifles, $15.
And nobody ever got in trouble for shooting someone else.

1960 VW, $150. Be driving tractors,farming for grandfather, even lent to your uncle for the summer- $350 a year.

I really miss the simple life, food was better ( unless you had to help kill something for lunch or dinner). Of chores, I could grab a gun. and run through the woods for hours. Or jump in the boat, if I had bought gas, and cruise the river.

Kids today, have no clue.

Flying was an exciting event, and expensive, it was a privilege. First you noticed the aroma of kerosene, coffee, and cigarettes. There was no 'jetway,' you climbed stairs from the tarmac, in all kinds of weather. You wore your nicest clothes. The stewardesses were friendly, young, and beautiful. At 10 years old, my folks had no problem putting me on a plane unaccompanied and changing planes. Airline tickets were paper with carbon copies. The pilot would show a kid the cockpit if there was time. Food was served....there was a smoking section. One leg of the trip might have been on a jet with a mind-boggling cruising speed of 600 mph, with loud screaming engines that left trails of black smoke...but the other flight(s) were likely to be on a prop plane.

This song say's it all!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWEvP9gtww&ob=av2e"]Bucky Covington - A Different World - YouTube[/ame]

gas 20 cents a gallon.
dipped Ice cream cone at DQ for 10 cent
Coke for 5 cent

When people were honest! A handshake and your word was good
enough.

How I miss those times.

Jake can't believe that at 13/14 yr old I was tearing up the neighborhood on my bmx bike delivering 120 newspapers 2x a week including before school on Wednesdays....and then actually go knocking on every one of their doors once a month to collect $1.85 from each one of them.....

Flying was an exciting event,...but the other flight(s) were likely to be on a prop plane.

I flew on a 4 engine prop recip (not turbo) aircraft down around Atlanta in 69.

The FIRST thing you notice approaching the thing is that OIL is leaking FROM EVERYWHERE. This does not bring a note of confidence to the procedure.

Then you sit down, and happen to get a window seat RIGHT were if one of the blades left the scene, it would head straight for YOU

So you watch the thing crank up, and the cooling flaps are open on the cowl, and you can see the engine down in there. The damn thing looks like a badly loaded Maytag!!! It moves, jumps, jerks, coughs, sputters and looks like it's gonna come right off the wing!!!!

And you guys worry about whether your 318/ 360 swap vibrates. I doubt that any recip pilot ever worried about such trivial matters.

"Change back from your dollar" at McDonalds. Two cheeseburgers, fries and a drink for 65 cents. My Dad buying a brand new house for $17,000 and bitchin about gas wars @ 24 cents a gallon.

13 cent a gallon gas during the 50's gas war...nickel hotdogs...3 cent small french fries..
$12.00 for a 57 plymouth....45 dollars for a 59 ford wagon....25 cents for a quart of beer....etc...

Remember those metal oil filler necks you used to punch a hole in the top of the oil can?? I think I still have one of those. My Grandfather sold Kendall oil for a living and I remember asking him why Kendall was called the "2000 mile oil". He told me that was because oil back then needed to be changed every 1000 miles, and that Kendall was twice as good as any other brand so the big ad execs of the day came up with the 2000 mile thingy. When Kendall came out with the first synthetic oil in the early 70's my Grandpa thought so much of it that he drove 50,000 miles without an oilchange in his company car to prove how good it was!!!

How 'bout having to bring in your battery every night in the winter, and constantly checking the electrolyte level and adding sulphuric acid?? Oh, the list could go on!!! Geof

Already two pages and not one of you old farts mentioned an erection.

I'm nowhere near being an ol' timer yet but I do remember every summer my parents would send me to the Grandparents to work in their camp ground's country store. This was in Rural, and I mean really Rural, Kentucky in the 80's. At 10 years old I was left to there alone to sell beer and cigarettes, make pizzas, sign for deliveries, inventory and reorder supplies. Sometimes I would be there all day alone while they went to Cincinnati to get more stuff.

My biggest regret was not using my allowance to exchange out all of the pre-1964 Silver Quarters and Mercury Dimes that we rolled up every weekend for bank runs.

Already two pages and not one of you old farts mentioned an erection.

I didn't mention it because I thought this thread was about things that have changed. That's the same as it always has been. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! LOL

Of course, the wife would probably say it's not worth mentioning. LOL

Jack

Ok im quite a bit younger then some of yall. But.. I can remember when i first started driving. Gas was about $.98 a gallon my smokes for pack of Marlboro Reds were a $1.85. I could get a few gallons of gas a pack of smokes and a soda for just under $5.00.

l remember when children said yes mam and no mam or got smacked.youngsters had respect for their elders.

What about smoking sections? Nobody remember when a guy could have a smoke with his coffee? Or ashtrays in hospital waiting rooms, mall food courts, etc? Nowdays my f#$&ing $36,000 Durango don't even have an ashtray.:banghead:

-
Back