I think I am gonna re-enlist for 5 more years

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Well I come into my re-enlistment window next month so I think I am gonna give 5 more years. Plus I get a bonus which should be enough to pay off everything but my Jeep, Ram, and house. So it should free up about $700 a month. So I think I ma gonna do it if they gaurantee that they will send me to the promotion board. That alone would be $850 more per month. So between those 2 I would be bringing home about $1425 more per month:cheers:!

well that sounds good. hey if you really like it then why not? i was in the army for 4 years...made my E-5...but i just didnt enjoy it...i always wanted to go back home..after 2 one year long deployments to iraq, i said forget this man, I'm out...so, ive been out for 7 months now....back home...things are ok...i still dont have a job....but im getting unemployment...not going to school...YET, but i will...i dont know what i want to be when i grow up...im 23...i kinda want to drive for fedex.. haha...but good luck to you man!

Might as well, I did 15 years and was RIF'ed just prior to 9/11.
Was told I'd never see E-7 and I should consider the 15yr retirements they were offering. Otherwise I'd be QMP'd within a year.
At the time, it was the thing to do. I should have called their bluff, I retired Oct 3 2001.
What's your MOS and E grade? 4 or 5?

I am just an E-4 I should be an E-6 but I got black listed by an old 1SG I had. I am an 89D, which is EOD and we are a really small community so if one 1SG doesn't like you and you transfer he will call and talk crap about you. I guess I shouldn't have called him a Mother@#*&er but I guess you live and you learn.

yea...calling a 1SG a motherF'er will not help you...lol....EOD huh? Man when I was in, they were giving a 100,000 dollar bonus to EOD, iif they were to re enlist while in iraq, for like 10 more years or whatever...No BS...a 100 grand bonus to stay in...I was a tanker! 19 Kilo! we got hit a few times by IED's...but man...forget being EOD!

I understand being on the **** list.
I had a CSM tell me he needed a 6 man detail while on a mission. We were in the field when this went down. I told him no. I wasn't able to handle a howitzer by myself.
Long story short, he was pissed when the battery commander sided with me.
He called me on the carpet later and wanted to write me a disciplinary letter over the incident. I told him I wanted a court marshal.
When that went down, and he knew he was wrong, the incident was dropped.
Of course I stayed on the **** list and never saw E-7. That CSM was a 19 series and I was a 13 so the **** list has a heavy hand sometimes.

The job market sucks on the civilian side. If you can go with what you know and make more money it would be difficult to do better on the outside.

Well I come into my re-enlistment window next month so I think I am gonna give 5 more years. Plus I get a bonus which should be enough to pay off everything but my Jeep, Ram, and house. So it should free up about $700 a month. So I think I ma gonna do it if they gaurantee that they will send me to the promotion board. That alone would be $850 more per month. So between those 2 I would be bringing home about $1425 more per month:cheers:!

Well 1st off, regardless of the pay, job issues etc I just want to say thank you for serving the country. Proud of you! :)

My son is re-enlisting also. Job market is tough out here. My son is in Afghanistan currently. Thanks for serving us and our country and good luck.

It sounds like a win win deal for you dusted :happy10:
and all of us that you keep safe here at home.
Thank you and I hope everything goes in your favor bud :cheers:

Thank you from my hole family here in Arkansas dusted72, It's folks like you that make it safe for us and enjoy our days here on this big ball :cheers:

I spent 10 years in the U.S.A.F. as an fighter crew chief enjoyed my job and the travel did not like the maggots who thought they were all that but everything else was ok. My father passed away and being an only male child i was honerably discharged under hardship. The job market stinks so go for it get an education and maybe when you retire something will come up. Thank you for serving this great country.

Like anything else in life,if you enjoy doing it why not...i salute you for your service to this country,thank you..:salute:

Hindsight being 20/20 I'd be retired now for 14 years and it wasn't all that bad. 4 years in the Air Force and didn't re-up because of two sh--heads...maybe if I didn't hit the 2nd Lou his first night on the job things would have been different, but my wife re-enlisted and I thoughtI would be getting away from her also but she wrangled some kind of hardship discharge and it took me another year after that to get rid of her.
If you can put up with the BS now I think it gets better in your second term and beyond. Gain a little rank...etc...
Go for it and thanks, I served in peacetime and don't know how I would have dealt with what you guys are dealing with now..

Dave

I agree i would be retired for 21 years now if i had been able to stay in. I would be playin with cars now instead of reporting to work every day, can't complain least i'm getting a check and i'm able to play with cars just not as much as i'd like to. Some folks don't have nothin i consider my self blessed. Good ole lady, great boys, some toys.

Thank you sir, for the service that you have given your country and mine. I have relatives who have made careers in the Canadian military but it is only recently that they have been given equipment (ie: Leo 2 tanks) than gives them any punch. Their "rules of engagement" are messing a lot of good men up and keeping them largely toothless as a force.

We still depend entirely upon good men like you for the defense of our way of life and freedom in general. Keep your head down on tour but held high everywhere else!

The civilian job market really sucks right now. If you do not have a professional trade that can be used once you get out, take advantage of the enlistment period to get one!

Do what you feel is right in your heart dusted. And like many others on this continent, myself and my family hold you and those who serve with you in the highest regard. Thank you for what you have done, and for what you will do.

Grant

Thank you for your service, dusted72.
I did 6 years in the National Guard and made it to E5. They promised me E6 if I'd re-up for another 6 years. Should of kept going and filled out my 20 years, but hindsight is always 20/20.
Again, thank you for your service.

I think your on the right track. The job market may never be as good as it once was. If you got a good gig and with some reup money to boot stay in. A big thank you for your service to all of us in our millitary.

Well I am not gonna re-enlist now. They changed the regulations and I have to wait another year. It used to be 24 months from your end of service date but it changed this week to 12 months. So I guess I will be waiting.

-
Back