I think I fried my mig welder

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Well my luck just continues, I was welding up some frame connectors tonight and I think I fried my welder.
The wire feed is working ok, but when I try to weld the welder just clicks and does not weld or feed wire, just a small spark and nothing.
What did I do?
What should I do to fix it?
Please someone help

Richard

PS It is a 110 volt Lincoln Nascar welder

Take it back to Home Depot and get a new one. Or get your money back and buy a Miller or Hobart.

How long were you welding for when it died?

Take it back to Home Depot and get a new one. Or get your money back and buy a Miller or Hobart.

How long were you welding for when it died?

What do u think happened

I have a 110v lincoln welder that does the same thing if the amp selector isn't in the right position, the knob has to be exactly between the detents in the switch or it wont feed. Im not impressed with lincoln, next one is going to be a miller.

About 5 minutes

Unless it has a 50% or better duty cycle (which is HIGHLY unlikely) you toasted the transformer. The duty cycle is based on how long you can weld straight in a 10 minute period. 50% is a REAL high duty cycle.

Sounds like you have a failed reluctor, that is caused by to many gigawatt's going to the
flux capacitor. The only thing I know that will fix this fine adjustment of your spinkster valve using your index finger.
Hope this helps.

Kenny

Sounds like you have a failed reluctor, that is caused by to many gigawatt's going to the
flux capacitor. The only thing I know that will fix this fine adjustment of your spinkster valve using your index finger.
Hope this helps.

Kenny

I concur.

Many, most ?? all ?? of these light duty machines have a temp "breaker" because they are so short duty cycle. Did you let it cool down and re--try it?

Get a voltmeter and see what you have at the "heavy" connections just inside the machine where the wire/ cables connect. If you have 20-40V there on the heavy connections when you pull the trigger, you have a cable housing/ gun problem

Unless it has a 50% or better duty cycle (which is HIGHLY unlikely) you toasted the transformer. The duty cycle is based on how long you can weld straight in a 10 minute period. 50% is a REAL high duty cycle.

Bingo!

The new Miller I have at work has an auto shut off if it gets too hot.

I doubt you "toasted" either the transformer or the reluctor. You would SMELL them, and problaby "let all the smoke out."

Hope this helps.

Kenny

Great help, hope you need some in the future.

The small ones normally use a thermal breaker and turn off. Sometimes they just start a sputter, with the feed.

I have a Lincoln that I worked hard and let it trip the internal breaker all the time after 5 years of that I had the same trouble. For the money I bought a new one and dont run it that hard anymore without letting it sool and it has gone 12 years already.

Is going to be an expensive repair. Cause I'm broke

I'm confused, you said the wire feed is working ok and then you said it won't feed the wire?
Is the wire welded to the shielding nozzle?
C

I'm confused, you said the wire feed is working ok and then you said it won't feed the wire?
Is the wire welded to the shielding nozzle?
C

When I ground the welder and try to weld the welder just stops no wire feed

So, just pulling the trigger the wire feeds through but when you attempt to weld it stops?
Have you have checked the switch settings, changed them to try welding a thinner piece?
C

I doubt you "toasted" either the transformer or the reluctor. You would SMELL them, and problaby "let all the smoke out."

I agree, generally when a transformer fries it smokes and smells bad. I would think it was something in the control circuit. As said most likely the thermal overload.

I hope it's somethin simple. But he said it sparks. If it sparks that would not be a tripped breaker I do not believe. A tripped breaker would mean NO power whatsoever....at least that's what I would think.

-
Back