I think my 727 is fried. Now I'm at a crossroads...

Fried 727 in a car you plan to convert to 4 speed. What would you do?

• Rebuild the 727 and run it until you're ready for the 4 speed conversion

• Do the conversion now and worry about the engine rebuild later

• Find a cliff, push the car over it, and never look back

Results are only viewable after voting.
-
I agree, I believe those are the wrong plugs.

Please forgive me, but what do you guys think is wrong about the plugs? I have iron heads, and all the searching I've done has come up with short reach plugs like the Autolite 85, NGK XR5, and Champion RJ12YC plugs. From what I understand, if I went with aluminum heads, that's where I may need to switch to a longer reach plug. Am I mistaken?

Please forgive me, but what do you guys think is wrong about the plugs? I have iron heads, and all the searching I've done has come up with short reach plugs like the Autolite 85, NGK XR5, and Champion RJ12YC plugs. From what I understand, if I went with aluminum heads, that's where I may need to switch to a longer reach plug. Am I mistaken?
What year and what engine is it? More to the point, what HEADS?

452 heads? There is 902/346/452 to name a few newer heads. As well as the motor home head which I believe is a 213. Well as new as the 70s get. Kim

What compression do u have? Less than 10-1 I would use a J14Y. Or whatever I that number crosses over to. Is the coil possibly weak or not getting enough voltage? U should start another thread on ur drivability problems. Kim

Okay, had some time to pull the converter. Originally I said it was the snout that was scored, but I misspoke and meant to say it was the hub. Anyway, here are some pics.

You can see there is obvious scoring along the body of the hub, easy to feel with a fingernail. But there's also two cracks I found, indicated by the arrows.
fullsizeoutput_fb1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_fb4.jpeg

The bushing looked brand new, which I found strange. But I forgot to take pics before putting everything back together.

Last edited:
Yes, with a new converter. The transmission is still out of the car, I'm guessing it's pretty important that I replace that bushing?

That hub was scored from low fluid level. I see it all the time. But it's just silly to replace perfectly good pump bushings; which I see 90% of the time; and NO, I do not replace good bushings with new ones; makes no sense. That converter is so worn that it would run off center; hence the leak.

Well, let's see how she runs now. I'm waiting for a lower ball joint so I can put the front end back together, then everything goes back in the car.

Yes, I've seen many times that the converter is all wore down but the bushing is, somehow, undamaged. But I put the pump down over the converter and check the fit before I put the pump back together; might want to run a chevy bushing.

Quick update.

New converter, along with a freshened front end while the engine was out. So far, so good, but I've only idled around the block to get it loaded onto the trailer. We'll see how she does after she's back from the alignment shop and some tuning.

Haha, I had the front end kit purchased already, and since the transmission was coming out, I decided to pull the engine/trans/front end as one unit so I could do the front end easier.

What I did to the tranny was pull the old converter and inspect the seal & pump bushing - both looked brand new. However, since the hub on the old converter was badly scored, I swapped in a new converter. I also plan to re-route the cooler lines so that they're away from the headers. I'll probably do that in the next couple of days but I needed to get the car out of the shop so I could get my trailer out of my front yard (HOA circling above like vultures).

I have a hard time seeing the condition of a pump bushing thatta way...but a bore scope and 20-20 vision might help. I've seen more worn converters than bushings tho...

-
Back