... I think there's a corvette motor in my cuda.

-
Yeah, they are melted a bit one almost pulled off when i tried to re-arrange it... heat and fuel resistant my @$$ (as per the ebay listing) I'm kind of confused honestly. If it is a mopar, then why hell are chev emblems on the valve covers? This is going to drive me nuts. I'm gonna go for a food run later tonight, gonna grab a flash light and pull the numbers. Some people are just silly with mix-matching parts but... I've met plenty of guys who race brand x car body, but run a chevy because it's cheap and popular but judging what you guys are telling me there's no way in hell that it's a chevy, what remains left for me to figure out is whether its a 383 or 400. Suppose it would help my sells a ton if I could know exactly what kind of engine it is.

The guy told me it's a "stock 383 with race pistons"

Edit: Cuudak thanks bro. I checked out the link and searched deeper in their store they have a version for mopar.

It looks like my Mopar 383, except looks like an electric water pump setup. Racers use that to rid a little "parasitic load". Isn't "electric assist" a slippery path to electric cars which will soon dominate drag racing once they figure out to install just enough batteries to make it 1/4 mile. Anyway, you can't use that for daily driving, and make sure the belt is on before you even run the engine the first time.

Paint it chebbie orange. lol

If it is a mopar, then why hell are chev emblems on the valve covers? .

thought I'd point something out: the Corvette emblem has a checkered flag on one side, and a bowtie and a fleur-de-lis on the other side.
This is clearly checkered flags on both sides. May have a slight resemblance to the corvette logo, but definitely isn't a corvette (or other chuvvie) logo.

Am I mistaken,wasnt the 383 and 400 the same motor just different years?The 383 became a 400 after a certain year.

Those are emblems but with a wave off this style of valve covers.
383emblem.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!hgE3vjSSY6nBOGf0(JObg~~0_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chro...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a848ad2c
These covers are chevy with 4 bolts your mopar 383 has 6 bolts so no cheby

Okie dokie...

date code 11-17-64
block code 2468130-4 "LL" (on passenger side)
water pump 2780883
msd distrib PN# 8545
crank 8781327

Definitely a 383. Pshew...

Am I mistaken,wasnt the 383 and 400 the same motor just different years?The 383 became a 400 after a certain year.

I don't know what you mean "the same motor."

The 400 is the same block HEIGHT, so takes the same intake, distributor, etc.

The 400 is a larger bore, so it is "not" a 383

You would be correct in that the 400 pretty much replaced the 383. I think the reason was an attempt to regain some power because of the smog equipment, which made everybody look bad, lack of power, driveability, and mileage.

I don't know what you mean "the same motor."

The 400 is the same block HEIGHT, so takes the same intake, distributor, etc.

The 400 is a larger bore, so it is "not" a 383

You would be correct in that the 400 pretty much replaced the 383. I think the reason was an attempt to regain some power because of the smog equipment, which made everybody look bad, lack of power, driveability, and mileage.
That is pretty much what i meant.
Like a 318 and 340 are nearly the same motor"block" but the 340 has a 4" bore where the 318 is around 3 3/4,Same stroke.The 360 has a 4" bore but longer stroke.Also you can basicly bolt all the major parts from a 6.1 on to a 5.7 with a few internal block pieces the 6.1 has for strength.So I use the word motor as meaning block.

Hey, maybe its a 361. I had one in my 1964 Polara. All of the 383 stuff bolted up to it.

It was a fun car.

Mopar big blocks have 2 variations, low deck & tall deck.
Low = 350, 361, 383, 400
Tall = 383, 413, 426, 440

Yes, they made a 383 version in each with very different bore & stroke combos. But the tall deck 383 was only around for a couple of years. Late '50's and/or early '60's.

Intake manifolds, crank, rods, pistons, pushrods and distributors are the main parts that wont interchange between the 2 versions.

There may be a couple of minor details I missed. But I'm a small block guy.

They made an RB383 but it was only for '59/'60. Since they are so rare today, you can assume that about any Mopar 383 is the common B version.

Bah, later tonight I'm going to go slide under the car and pull the numbers. If it's a chevy... I'm selling it :|

Strokerscamp -- Chevy did make a 383, most of them were in corvettes in the 70-80s I don't know if they still do... It's a good motor, but I am not the kind of guy who sleeps well if a motor/car is mix-matched. ANIT RIGHT JOE IT ANIT RIGHT~!
Chevy didn't have a factory 383, but they DID have a 283 (maybe thats what you were remembering??) and they put those in early vettes 60's and some of those had factory fuel injection, then the 283 went away and it was replaced with the 327.

Two things immediately jumped out in the picture: the shape of the valve covers and the distributor in front. Definitely MOPAR. But I'm late on this one.

-
Back