I want my car done but......

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I want to get my car finished this winter but sometimes the things you are working on get over whelming, like the redo of the complete interior, or the getting the body ready for someone to paint, or I need to rewire the whole under hood compartment, or the completing the fuel system from front to back, or making all new brake lines and the list goes on and on! So after getting very frustrated yesterday with the welding of the inner fenders I decided to take today off away from the car even though i originally planned to work on it today. Told the wife " this might be right or it might be wrong" but I'm going out to play some golf. I gotta tell you it felt good to get away and spend the day out with some friends. Here in Pa it was all but 70* on Christmas eve! Hopefully now when I go out to work on it Saturday i'll be a little less overwhelmed!
Merry Christmas to all!
Rod

Sometimes it is best to step away and go find something else that is not so overwhelming.

Then come back and focus on ONE thing and move forward. Complete the one thing then move to the next.

When I'm building a Hot Rod, I write down a few things that I want to accomplish, on a given day, and when that's complete, I quit for that day. -- Don't make the list so long that it is overwhelming. - Good things come slowly. -- Enjoy !! and Happy Holidays.

It bees like that sometimes.

... in 1984 and haven't had a chance to get back to it since. Sometimes life and all its baggage can really get into the way. I hope to step back in early next year. It's my New Year's Resolution.

... in 1984 and haven't had a chance to get back to it since. Sometimes life and all its baggage can really get into the way. I hope to step back in early next year. It's my New Year's Resolution.

That's kinda what I am going through. I do little bits and pieces, but cannot find motivation to really get all the way back where I once was. My health isn't helping either. Good luck to you. I hope you are able to keep your New Year's resolution.

I got an uncle that has been working on a '41 chevy, I kid you not he's been restoring this thing for 30 years. He takes one step forward and 10 backwards, talk about overwhelming. Had it running 5 years ago with a rebuilt 350 under the hood. He took it apart and sold it so he can buy a painless wiring kit and now he wants to put a 454 under the hood. I gave up helping him cause my hardwork is all for nothing. Then 3 years ago he started restoring a 82 GMC Sierra in hopes to flip it for funds for his 41. 10k into it, I mean 10k he could of spent for his 41!!!! Now this is overwhelming. 30 years of his life gone and a divorce over financial issues.

beer helps.. - no really --- sometimes I just have to kick back and contemplate where I'm at with things and have a beer - or two.. I literally sit down on an old milk crate and have a beer and just stare at it - then when the light goes off (and it will) if ya gotta write it down, do it - whatever it takes - do it.. then pull yourself up by the boot straps and go..

beer helps.. - no really --- sometimes I just have to kick back and contemplate where I'm at with things and have a beer - or two.. I literally sit down on an old milk crate and have a beer and just stare at it - then when the light goes off (and it will) if ya gotta write it down, do it - whatever it takes - do it.. then pull yourself up by the boot straps and go..

I do this too, minus the beer!! Sometimes I just sit and stare at a project, and get a good idea of what I want to do! Learned that from my old buddy Sam!! Mock something up, even if it's attached with just one bolt, sit back and admire the view!! It motivates you to get that look all the time!!

I'm just starting my first project car, things definitely can get over whelming. I tend to start small if I feel like working on it, a few bolts and nuts to start then it gets things going. Once I start I can't stop!

If I hit a "wall" I will do as scamp suggest (except with some bourbon), I sit back have a few drinks and figure out what my next move is. Don't be so hard on your self, remember this is suppose to be fun! You're not trying to meet a deadline at work. You didn't pick up a car that needed work so that you could drive it yesterday.

Happened to me this morning. Walked out into the shop to immediately be reminded that I live in the rust belt (rust on bolt heads of a brake kit I just got installed at the end of August) as well as some leaks from said brake kit and new lines, which have been a pain to remedy.

Luckily my dad was there to remind me how much potential is really in the thing. I get a little meticulous sometimes and have trouble looking at the big picture.

I should try that beer thing :D

Always good to step away when you feel that way. I know many times I had trouble taking a part off or putting it on to the point of frustration. I stopped, put the tools away and the next day the part would go on or off too easily. It's a hobby for fun, not a chore. I remember driving the Duster with a beat up interior, and needing things and thinking I would never see the car done. (they are never truly done) But, I made it, took 15 years but worth every bit of sweat and frustration.

Sounds like my project I've been hammering away on since June. I will say one thing, take your time and plan it out. Nothing pisses me off more than having to do something twice! I bought a car for 1500 and its almost ready for paint and body, $8500 invested so far!!

As others have said

It is good to step back

But make baby steps, look at the big picture and it will drive you crazy

But if you set your sites on getting wiring in engine compartment done then you have a goal, complete that and move to something else, but to think, I have to get body work done, interior, wiring, rebuild suspension, polish trim and then build a motor, YOU WILL GO CRAZY

I spent 10 years building mine, yes seemed I would never get it done.

You know, it really isn't done now, but it is drivable, just things I need to do, redo or improve

I have had a new headlight switch for 2 years, someday I will get it put in, till then if I drive at night I have a light I plug into lighter to light up the dash........LOL

The reason you see so many project cars for sale is people do not realize how much time & money to build a car

That's absolutely amazing! That you can play golf in Pennslyvania in December.

It was definitely a bit unusual for Christmas Eve. Finished my last minute shopping in a t-shirt. I think a lot of us get the not-enough-done blues at the end of the year. You've done some major work to that car in a relatively short time compared to many of us. I'm sure you'll be right back at it. At least you can heat your shop and keep going if winter ever starts. Lol

When I feel overwhelmed I like to reflect on what I have completed and then go forward with one step at a time. Another thing that I do if possible is ask a friend to come over and help with a big project, that helps keep me motivated. I also read other peoples stories on this site and that encourages me to press on.

I've learned to relax when working on my car over the past couple of years. I have to wait until spring to work on a big project (tax returns for funding, weather for comfort) so I always start my driving season with my car laid up. I got the front end rebuilt one year, and got headers/exhaust done the next. Unless something catastrophic occurs, only little things need to be addressed and I should be good to just pull it out and drive next spring. It sucked waiting for my task to be accomplished so I could finally drive the car, and I always made it longer than planned, but having driven it every year prior lessened the blow. Still sucks seeing a car sitting there you want to drive!

It's all about small victories and having a good supportive family. If your old lady hates your car because she thinks it's an old piece of junk that takes time and money away from her it's never gonna get done! Been thru couple chicks like that! Sex was good but never made up for the other 23 hrs 45 min of the day. If you have a supportive partner and lack motivation, this site is great for that! I love to finish a small project and post about it here. These guys make you feel good about your accomplishments.

If all else fails...... Sit in the car and make engine noises!

Or have the old lady take sexy pics with the car.

Both are fun in there own ways.

Younggun, you gotta remember tho that your "small victories" and some of us others "small victories" are completely different things!! Your small victories might consist of fabbing up something badass for your car, my small victories? Installing a little plastic clip to the the inside of the passenger door so the exterior latch was operational!! Lol!! :D just funnin :D I did feel pretty accomplished tho when I got both doors functional! Lol

Just take things one step at a time, this was my Duster this time last year.
Got it together and running by this past spring.
Have not touched it since.

FxDMSm.jpg

84Ys9a.jpg

I do notice the older I get that it takes a lot longer to make a spark and get the fire started. It's been about 3 months that I walked away from the Valiant project.I did do a little work on the 63 Belvedere swapping in new leaf springs.Told the wife after the holidays to push me out the door to get going back on the Valiant.Plans are to have the Valiant up and running for the MATS Vegas show at the end of March. We'll see.....

-
Back