I want my car done but......

-
May the Lord God Almighty cause his face to shine upon you all and bless you and keep you, both now and forever. Get your xxxx together cuz the end is nigh. The New Jerusalem is coming, and there's only one way through the 12 gates.

Please pass the cranberry sauce....................................

It's all about small victories and having a good supportive family. If your old lady hates your car because she thinks it's an old piece of junk that takes time and money away from her it's never gonna get done! Been thru couple chicks like that! Sex was good but never made up for the other 23 hrs 45 min of the day. If you have a supportive partner and lack motivation, this site is great for that! I love to finish a small project and post about it here. These guys make you feel good about your accomplishments.

If all else fails...... Sit in the car and make engine noises!

Or have the old lady take sexy pics with the car.

Both are fun in there own ways.

Ha! I thought all women loved these old cars!!???? NO??????

yes its all work, but it is supposed to be a hobby and FUN!?? when it gets to not being fun, I take a break. and reminice over the small victories!

That's kinda what I am going through. I do little bits and pieces, but cannot find motivation to really get all the way back where I once was. My health isn't helping either. Good luck to you. I hope you are able to keep your New Year's resolution.
Thanks and I hear ya. Same with me. I mean, look when I joined FABO and how long it took me to make my first post! Good luck to you too on your project. Maybe we'll both accomplish something positive in the new year.

That's what I do when I am doing body work. I will step back go do something diff & possibly have a beer. The weather on Christmas eve was awesome wasn't it.

Car is looking good Rod.
Glad you got to enjoy the weather.
Even though I did not have the car 100 %, I attended several car shows. Each show I added more trim.
Did several Toys for Tots this month, when I should have been working on the car. Still haven't parked it for the winter. Might work on the interior some more before spring? I was pretty disappointed I didn't make Carlisle this past summer, but it all worked out.

Thanks and I hear ya. Same with me. I mean, look when I joined FABO and how long it took me to make my first post! Good luck to you too on your project. Maybe we'll both accomplish something positive in the new year.

I don't know. I have some serious problems with my shop. Metal building, concrete floor. It has some very serious condensation problems. Everything I have is rusting away and I cannot afford to do anything about it. 40 years worth of tools, various parts, a few engines and I am helpless. It's very disconcerting. I walked out today and the condensation was so heavy on my Hemi it was dripping on the floor.

If you do decide to take a step back make sure you make up a detailed list of both accomplished and non accomplished tasks. Hard to get back into it when there's no reference as to where you left off. Keeps that list updated as much as possible.

a mag writer was interviewing Matlock Rose, a famous cutting horse trainer, Matlock was well into his 70's still training horses. she asked him bout it at his age, he just replied:

" just get a little tired'er a little quicker!"

i get a lot tired'er a whole lot quicker at 67! ha

when I work on one of my old cars and accomplish just a small task, I get a REAL feeling of accomplishment. that drives me AND just the joy it running, driving down the road, not finished.. no new unholstry, no carpet, no headliner, no fresh engine/transmission,maybe rust fixed , but in primer, but....

pure JOY!

if it quits on my, I take the cell along and call: bring the truck, trailer, and a come along! ha

If you do decide to take a step back make sure you make up a detailed list of both accomplished and non accomplished tasks. Hard to get back into it when there's no reference as to where you left off. Keeps that list updated as much as possible.

I don't think Rod was stepping back, more like a brief pause. Hes probably out there now working double time to make up for it.
For me, I am on again off again as time, weather, money permits. I have some notes, but mostly I can just look at the car and my mental to-do list comes up. As for whats done, and details of how I actually did it, i often look at my build thread to jog my memory.

That's correct, I just needed a day to get away and a great day it was. I've been laughing the last few days reading the posts everyone has taken the time to post. I guess I wasn't clear enough when I said it might be right or it might be wrong but I'm taking a day to golf. I remember many years ago, Dale Earnhardt needed a top 5 finish in the last race but instead he spent the week hunting. He had posted a note similar on his office door. He still competed that week and won a championship but did something for himself instead of focussing on his race. I hated that bastard!! Lol but its always stuck with me that some time off is good for a person. And reading everyone's post these past few days shows that as many seem to take some time away to clear your heads! I'm heading out to the shed to do more work today but tomorrow is going to be another golf day. There's just nothing like seeing a well struck ball flying in the air and landing near the cup! I'll get work done on the dart the next 4 days before another holiday break. Thanks for everyone's encouraging words. You guys are great!
Rod

One of the best things about old cars,,,They will always wait for you no matter how long,,,Right where you left them............

I drove my 66 charger on christmas day, it had been two years since I had started it!!! That and my 67 440 Dart. Time gets away from you, the older you get the faster it goes. I think my 66 dart will be my last project. IF I ever finish it! I have everything I need to finish it, All new chrome, britework, every thing, but hard to get motivated. Seems like I dont like something or other and want to redo it. Now redoing the carpet with another new kit. Not a small job to redo.

I went out last night and made the lip for the passenger side inner fender. Tonight i will work again on it. I'll be adding some pics tonight so you can see how i did this. Right now im motivated so hopefully that fire stays with me for a while.
Rod

I work an intense management job that takes a lot of time. Took me five years to build my Comet afternoons in summer & weekends. The day I rolled it out, I rolled the Barracuda in and blew it apart. That was 6 or 7 years ago. Then I went ocean fishing with my free time for five years. Retirement is approaching for me and my goal is to drive my Barracuda away from my retirement party with my arm out the window showing the "your #1" sign with my left hand. The need to drive the car away from my job has speeded the assembly process up exponentially. (I have always worked best under pressure) All that being said, I am really glad that I have a finished car and one under construction. I enjoy working in my shop more than just about anything else I do. (the fishing has to be a big second though) If I am blessed I will start my car sometime in June and finish it by September. That is my goal and then I can retire and start my second career of "DesertRat's RatRods"O:)
Until then I will just "keep on keeping on" (Janis Joplin)
Cheers and best of luck to all for the new year----DR:cheers:

I am in the middle of my build and can definitely relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed...I just keep reminding myself that this is a hobby and not my job, it is supposed to be fun and to help keep it that way I set milestones for myself, goals I want to accomplish along the way so even though I am far from done, I have things I can check off the list and celebrate

I've already put a "few cents" into this thread but - it was this thread and a conversation with another member that got me going - it took me three "days" (the most hrs in a day was 4) mostly because I wasn't really up for it but check out http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=278121 --- got the motor out! ya gotsta starts somewheres.. :twisted:

I will tell you first hand getting away and getting a clear head is exactly the right thing to do, especially if your exasperated. I've found pushing it when your having issues just makes it worse and stuff gets messed up and cost you more time and money.

Take your time and enjoy your hobbies, because that's what this and others are, isn't it?

-
Back