I Was in the High Country Today (Pics)

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I would've got some pictures on the passes but it would've been too dangerous. The roads were really bad this morning. Anyway, enjoy!

675A0028web.JPG

675A0029web.JPG

675A0031web.JPG

675A0034web.JPG

675A0035web.JPG

Thanks for the beautiful pics, Joe. Betcha it's slippery at Bandimere today! Almost looks like good weather for snowmobile drags.

Thank you Joe :-D That is the kind of country I only see here on this site or on tv:cheers: I see a couple possible avalanche looking area's in the 5th picture 8) Very cool 8) Slippery to I bet, You keep it neat and between the ditches bud :-D

I love Colorado....been out to Copper Mountain area a few times.

Thanks for the pics.

I drove right by Copper today. Ton's 'O' powder up there. I saw everyone who called in sick today to catch the fresh stuff. :)

My daughter lives in Rifel CO. Pretty out that way. Thanks for the pic's.

I've been to Rifle more than a few times. I wasn't out that far west this time though.

Looks like I-70 between Grand Junction and the tunnel, am I close? Nice Pictures!

Yep! The first few are between Eagle and Vail and the rest are after Vail pass and going toward the tunnel. That's Dillon in the last pic.

Thanks for the beautiful pics, Joe. Betcha it's slippery at Bandimere today! Almost looks like good weather for snowmobile drags.

I saw lots of snowmobiles on trailers heading to their favorite trails. Lucky dogs......

I imagine I could do a 1/4 mile "burnout" at Bandimere with the company van, lol. :-D

Thank you Joe :-D That is the kind of country I only see here on this site or on tv:cheers: I see a couple possible avalanche looking area's in the 5th picture 8) Very cool 8) Slippery to I bet, You keep it neat and between the ditches bud :-D

I had a butt clencher or two on the drive. I wish I had a button on the steering wheel to trigger the camera. :-D I went to pass a truck on Eisenhower Pass and the rear wheels kicked out at about 40...... Aaaack! There was ice under the hard pack. That van really doesn't have a lot of weight in it.

In regards to the avalanche hazard, usually lose about 4 to 6 people a year to them. They are almost always out of bounds or back country skiers. They are usually pretty good about blasting them down before they hit a road and on the ski mountains. I did get caught by one in 2002. I was the 3rd or fourth vehicle to show up. Nothing like a 4 story pile of snow with 100 ft trees sticking out of it at crazy angles blocking the road. That was on Red Mountain Pass, or as I call it now, Bad *** pass. :-D

very nice

Thanks Joe. :)

Nice pics!

This sounds like a blond question but are those ski slopes?

Not so blond my friend! Those are natural valleys that collect the snow from avalanches. The snow there can be 40' deep or more. They are very dangerous places to be. Very beautiful though and the snow melt from those valleys provide fresh water both west to California and east to Denver depending on what side of the continental divide you are on. Water from these mountains also carved the Grand Canyon.

Note the Semi in the last pic. Now imagine that semi out in one of those mountain valleys 8 miles out. It would be hardly a speck.

I drove out of town for work today.Trust me it wasn't anything like these pics.Those are made for a postcard.Thanks Joe.8)

Hey I drove the highway a few years ago Joe. Flew into Denver then headed west (go west young man) past Grande Junction into Utah then north to Price. Beautiful country, moutains, deserts (kinda), high plains and of course Mormon music blaring on the rental car radio. Second trip out there brought along some Ozzy and Led for the papil masses.:snakeman:

Nice pic's

Thanks!

I drove out of town for work today.Trust me it wasn't anything like these pics.Those are made for a postcard.Thanks Joe.8)

It's less stressful in the summer but the scene is still on my mind. It's nice to get up there and remember why I live here.

thanks for sharing pics.

Your welcome!

Hey I drove the highway a few years ago Joe. Flew into Denver then headed west (go west young man) past Grande Junction into Utah then north to Price. Beautiful country, moutains, deserts (kinda), high plains and of course Mormon music blaring on the rental car radio. Second trip out there brought along some Ozzy and Led for the papil masses.:snakeman:

LOL! Radio in Utah sucks. It really is a stunning drive though. Glenwood canyon, just east of Glenwood Springs (where Doc Holiday died) is a sight to behold. Another really cool drive is from Wolcott to Steamboat Springs on IIRC, Hwy 131. Another is Glenwood Springs to Durango via Independence and Red Mountain passes. Take Hwys 82 to 24 to 285 to 50 to 550. :)

Ahhhhhhhhh memories ... I lived in Colorado for 10 years and still find it breathtaking. Thanks for sharing Joe!

thank you!! this reminds me why i love colorado and good heaters lol:) absolutley beautiful i think i will have to go drive over break if i can:) we went to the contenital devide a few years back and it was great:) sorry about the spelling lol

I have an old friend in Lakewood. I've been out there several times. I even ran my mustang at Bandimere. Only two passes, though. It had to get me back to Philthadelphia!
I have several pics just like those. Some summer shots, too. Beautiful place. NICE!

Ahhhhhhhhh memories ... I lived in Colorado for 10 years and still find it breathtaking. Thanks for sharing Joe!

Your welcome Leanna. :)

thank you!! this reminds me why i love colorado and good heaters lol:) absolutley beautiful i think i will have to go drive over break if i can:) we went to the contenital devide a few years back and it was great:) sorry about the spelling lol

Yeah, good heaters here are essential along with good AC. I've used both on the same day. :)

I have an old friend in Lakewood. I've been out there several times. I even ran my mustang at Bandimere. Only two passes, though. It had to get me back to Philthadelphia!
I have several pics just like those. Some summer shots, too. Beautiful place. NICE!

Thanks ST! It really is a cool place to live if work can be found. The only real downside is the altitude eats about 20% of an engines power.

Thanks ST! It really is a cool place to live if work can be found. The only real downside is the altitude eats about 20% of an engines power.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know if I could get used to that part. My sea-level 13.30's turned into 14.40's up there. Probably could've got 14.20's out of it, but that ride home was in the back of my head!

-
Back