IBM Card 1971 Duster 340

-
So do you guy think a guy like Dave Wise or Galen Govier could read my card or like dana67 said mine is not option codes

There is no trick to these
If there is one punch in a column (short direction) then it is a number 0 at the top, 9 the bottom
If there are two punches in one column then it is a letter.
The top three rows tell you which letter group it is, Top one and number (A-I), second row and number (J-R), 0 row and number (S-Z)

No secret decoder ring needed. So I'd trust some ones decoding.

Alan

My understanding is the IBM build card came first, then the broadcast sheet and fender tag.
From what I physically have.

The build sheet has WAY more info on it.
The IBM card is next
Then the fender tag.

I have 2 build sheets both 100% readable

The IBM card copy from Chrysler is very readable with the help of a great blank enhanced copy from a member here.

The fender tag is not rusted and very readable

So do you guy think a guy like Dave Wise or Galen Govier could read my card or like dana67 said mine is not option codes
I posted exactly what is on your card. There is no other info.

There are only 80 columns there can only be so much info.

The build sheet has many more columns and rows with info in them.

37 columns times 7 rows 259 digits vs 80 digits

There is no way to make a build sheet from the I do you have.

Period!

The Quality Card is set up the same as the IBM buildcard, so this might help
There are other symbols

card-codes.jpg

What I called x and y are referred to the 12 line and the 11 line

If you have looked at a IBM car with the option codes you will see there is no place for all the items on the Broadcast Sheet.

I have looked, and we are probably talking the same thing here, different language, or whatever it's called.
Broadcast sheet has more codes, however it all comes from the IBM card.
I like the details, and my understanding is the IBM card/data feeds everything to the broadcast sheet and fender tag.

The IBM card starts the process, and from that the Broadcast sheet is made for the assembly line workers, and the fender tag for them to put on the car.
The broadcast sheet gets tossed, put in the wrong car, or sent out the door with the fender tag.

The IBM card has all the data the broadcast sheet has, but it also includes the Region and Dealer Code, as well as the Shipped Date (the actual shipped date), not the same as the Shipping Order No., aka the Scheduled Production Date, that is on all 3, IBM/Broadcast/fender tag.

Everything on the IBM card from column 1-8, (skipping 9-15, Region/Dealer Code), 16-76, (skipping 77-80, actual shipped date) is placed on the broadcast sheet.

The last 2 sections on the bottom of the broadcast sheet, both labeled BUILD CODES, are for the grunts working the assembly line and tell them what parts to grab and put on the car.

Using a 67 383 A-body as an example:
DIST is the first section in the BUILD CODES section of the broadcast sheet, the part # for a 67 383 dizzy is 264224852, so 52 would be under DIST.
It's the only dizzy for a 67 383 A-body, auto or manual, therefore this code on the broadcast sheet is driven by the Engine Code on the IBM card.

Next is the SWAY BAR, same deal, part #24628389.
67 383 REAR SPRINGS, LEFT & RIGHT, 3 digits for each on the broadcast sheet, same springs, 2835056 is stamped on the springs, 056 is on the broadcast sheet for each.

My understanding is the 1/2/3 digit BUILD CODES are either stamped, on a tag, put on with a paint pen, or some other way.

I had saved an ancient article on the IBM process but I misplaced or lost it.

20211008_194904.jpg

Build Codes.png

I have looked, and we are probably talking the same thing here, different language, or whatever it's called.
Broadcast sheet has more codes, however it all comes from the IBM card.
I like the details, and my understanding is the IBM card/data feeds everything to the broadcast sheet and fender tag.

The IBM card starts the process, and from that the Broadcast sheet is made for the assembly line workers, and the fender tag for them to put on the car.
The broadcast sheet gets tossed, put in the wrong car, or sent out the door with the fender tag.

The IBM card has all the data the broadcast sheet has, but it also includes the Region and Dealer Code, as well as the Shipped Date (the actual shipped date), not the same as the Shipping Order No., aka the Scheduled Production Date, that is on all 3, IBM/Broadcast/fender tag.

Everything on the IBM card from column 1-8, (skipping 9-15, Region/Dealer Code), 16-76, (skipping 77-80, actual shipped date) is placed on the broadcast sheet.

The last 2 sections on the bottom of the broadcast sheet, both labeled BUILD CODES, are for the grunts working the assembly line and tell them what parts to grab and put on the car.

Using a 67 383 A-body as an example:
DIST is the first section in the BUILD CODES section of the broadcast sheet, the part # for a 67 383 dizzy is 264224852, so 52 would be under DIST.
It's the only dizzy for a 67 383 A-body, auto or manual, therefore this code on the broadcast sheet is driven by the Engine Code on the IBM card.

Next is the SWAY BAR, same deal, part #24628389.
67 383 REAR SPRINGS, LEFT & RIGHT, 3 digits for each on the broadcast sheet, same springs, 2835056 is stamped on the springs, 056 is on the broadcast sheet for each.

My understanding is the 1/2/3 digit BUILD CODES are either stamped, on a tag, put on with a paint pen, or some other way.

I had saved an ancient article on the IBM process but I misplaced or lost it.

View attachment 1716188045

View attachment 1716188073

In todays world I can see it working that way but in the 60s I just don't.
The IBM car would have an engine code as E86 which would be on the broadcast sheet as well but there are a bunch of other codes that it would have to know go along with it.
The E86 in on car (lets say a 1969 Dodge Polara 500) might have an engine code of 920 but on a different car it would be 919. Now the difference might be AC, now the computer might know that. I'm not sure which way makes more since.

Alan

Nice find , I have one for my 72 challenger which was sold in 71 , as I am 2nd owner and was fortunate car had all paper work down to the plastic litter bag kept in glove box

Resized_20240106_102906.jpeg

No, there are multiple different stories, warehouse fires etc. They just don't have them.

Alan
Information on cars from mid 1967 to mid 1972 were thrown out by an overzealous and unsupervised employee. No fire, no lost. Thrown away by someone who shouldn't have ever touched them. Worst part is, Chrysler had the opportunity to recreate the information and didn't see the point of spending the money.

Information on cars from mid 1967 to mid 1972 were thrown out by an overzealous and unsupervised employee. No fire, no lost. Thrown away by someone who shouldn't have ever touched them
That's a new one.

Not saying it's not true, just a new story.

From Danielle at Stellantis the records were never turned over to the historical folks and they have looked and they have never turned up.

She has said the fire story is an urban legend.

I had read that Chrysler has the records but they are on the old computer reels when computers were the size of entire rooms and that it would cost millions to translate and decode and there is no profit in doing that for Chrysler.

I have written this before, on a different thread in the past. My dad worked at Chrysler from 1963 to 1986. He was an IBM TAB computer programmer... started out in Highland Park at the headquarters, then was transferred to Hamtramyck, sometime in the '70's. His job was to program the IBM reel to reel computers, and generate these IBM cards for the production of Chrysler vehicles. Sadly, he passed away at an early age in 1986 from a terminal illness. But before he died, my brother and I got to take a personal tour with him, through his last worksite..O.D.M.T.C. plant, off of Outer Drive, in Detroit.

By this point in time, he was the supervisor of his department. We saw his offices, the huge floor to ceiling IBM reel to reel computers. Also the rest of the plant, that was in the fall of 1984. If he was still with us, I would be asking him, all the details about these cards, and much much more obviously.

Last edited:
And as Matthon wrote above....
The IBM card (data) was the initial process, in building a vehicle. Then the Broadcast sheet was printed for the assembly line worker to follow.
Lastly, the fender tag was produced.

Oh BTW...for those interested..my father's department ran for all three shifts, just as the assembly lines did. During his career, he worked 3RD shift most of the time...12 am to 8 am. This shirt is what the guys in the plant wore...my dad's attire was business casual, in the offices.

IMG_20230814_182422252.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back