Icon forged pistons

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
Is anybody using this brand for a street/strip engine? Any specific likes/dislikes? Thanks! Bob

They are from United Engine AKA KB pistons.

I've used them and seen them used in many builds. Good part IMO.

anyone know where I can get a set of IC969 .020?

I guess i should drive to Carson City since I am in Reno...LOL

Thanks crackedback! How are the 5204's doing? Making any noise yet?

Brian, how much are the IC741 and IC743's? thanks! Bob

The KB's seem to be heavier than any other piston I've looked at, like 100 grams heavier.

LOL...HUH?? The pistons we used in the Car craft 410 are shelf pistons and weigh about 600g. with pins. Not heavy at all.
They are by far cheaper than any other brand and you get custom type reliefs to boot.

Most of the icon #'s are in the 500.00 range and some less!

LOL...HUH?? The pistons we used in the Car craft 410 are shelf pistons and weigh about 600g. with pins. Not heavy at all.
They are by far cheaper than any other brand and you get custom type reliefs to boot.

Most of the icon #'s are in the 500.00 range and some less!

From Hughes engines site;

KB pistons

C.D. Approx. Weight Pin Size CC's Comp 64cc Comp 68cc Comp 72cc
1.465" 638gr .984" X 2.750" -20.5cc 10 9.6 9.3

Diamond pistons

C.D. Approx. Weight Pin Size CC's Comp 60cc Comp 65cc Comp 70cc Stroke
1.457" 502gr .984" X 2.750" -20.0 10.0 9.5 9.1 4.00"

So 136 grams is laughable?

From Hughes engines site;

KB pistons

C.D. Approx. Weight Pin Size CC's Comp 64cc Comp 68cc Comp 72cc
1.465" 638gr .984" X 2.750" -20.5cc 10 9.6 9.3

Diamond pistons

C.D. Approx. Weight Pin Size CC's Comp 60cc Comp 65cc Comp 70cc Stroke
1.457" 502gr .984" X 2.750" -20.0 10.0 9.5 9.1 4.00"

So 136 grams is laughable?

I'll bet that Diamond piston weight is without a pin. There's no way your going to get a typical shelf 408 piston down to 500g with pin. Double check that there mr. jones....

I'll bet that Diamond piston weight is without a pin. There's no way your going to get a typical shelf 408 piston down to 500g with pin. Double check that there mr. jones....

I've checked quite a few sites and different piston manufacturers, the KB's are heavy comparerd to everything else.

An Icon IC745, same piston that hughes list, is 517 grams without pin.

Pin is 118 grams

Total 635.

http://kb-silvolite.com/test/icon/icon.php?action=details&P_id=325

The diamonds are without pin weights, I've spoken with them and asked that specific question, add about 115-125 to it for the total

http://www.diamondracing.net/MoParSection.pdf

I'm not surprised hughes doesn't have an apples to apples comparison on there site. be nice if they actually listed the item with the piston/pin and a total.

An Icon IC745, same piston that hughes list, is 517 grams without pin.

Pin is 118 grams

Total 635.

http://kb-silvolite.com/test/icon/icon.php?action=details&P_id=325

The diamonds are without pin weights, I've spoken with them and asked that specific question, add about 115-125 to it for the total

http://www.diamondracing.net/MoParSection.pdf

I'm not surprised hughes doesn't have an apples to apples comparison on there site. be nice if they actually listed the item with the piston/pin and a total.

Well that explains it but apparently KB must be the only ones that list the weight with the pin.

From the SRP site they list part #220156 which is a forged .030 over dish stroker piston, same as the rest, at 457 grams.

If this is true and you add the 118 or so for the pin it's only 575. That's still 60grams lighter than the KB.

That is still a significant amount as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/SRP/Mopar/340-360_flat_inv.aspx

bought the ICON pistons for my 408 project and for the price the quality is very good. Are they US made?

How do you figure that's apples to apples when the pin is shorter? The apples to apples comparison is the IC745 at 517/118. That's 635. Granted I don't care where the weight savings comes from but those pistons are inherently heavier no matter how you look at it.

The IC984 also is based from a slightly shorter deck of the Magnum block and if I'm not mistaken the Magnum connecting rod is narrower at the little end.

thanks for all the info here guys! I would also like to know if they are made in the US.

I don't know if they are or not, the site doesn't say and since most companies that sell made in USA stuff usually proclaim that I'd tend to assume they aren't.

Anyway I'm putting Venolia customs in my stroker. I had Ross' in my 340 which were nice, no problems with them but my machinist gets a deal on the Venolias.

Impossible to compare at Hughes,as they use thier own part #s for everything.Mancini is another that does it. Summit part #s tend to be close to manufacturers.

KB is 517 grams and Diamonds are 502... inherently heavier???

With the pin they are both in the 620-640 range.

Roughly 4 8-balls difference.... crude 80's reference. :toothy10:

KB is 517 grams and Diamonds are 502... inherently heavier???

With the pin they are both in the 620-640 range.

Roughly 4 8-balls difference.... crude 80's reference. :toothy10:

And what about the 575 range with pin for the SRP's? These are just three different piston manufacturers, I'm sure I could find more.

first it's KB's are heavier by over 100 grams then a diamond, they're not.
KB list the weights as a piston/pin split on the site.

Now throw a SRP in there that lighter than both.

The difference is likely in the blanks they use. A deeper dish requires more material.

I ran the Forged SRP's in the 410 I did and they were way more expensive than the KB745's I just bought!
I dont believe you will ever know or feel the difference on a 500-550hp SBM build which most here are doing with them using either piston in my opinion.

I just did a shortblock (416) for a friend with the KB744 flat top, and it's the first KB forged I've seen in person. Nice, nice piston! Yea, so they're a LITTLE heavier than a Probe, Ross, or SRP, but for the much cheaper price (ESPECIALLY in a street/strip or bracket deal) who cares? We measured these things 10 ways from Sunday and they were spot on! Pit fit was good, and the weights matched within .3 of a gram on a digital scale.

Yes there light slugs. Call CP and get a set made with 3mm rings, or a 2 ring pack, light pins, etc. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish or how deep your wallet is I guess. I'd rather have a slug that's 25 g heavier and spend the $300 saved elsewhere.

I originally scoffed at the KB/Icon forged piston deal, writing it off as a "TRW knockoff". I was wrong and am a KB believer! KB's will go in my next moder!

First, we're racing flow benches, then dynos...now we're racing piston weights. Too funny...

first it's KB's are heavier by over 100 grams then a diamond, they're not.
KB list the weights as a piston/pin split on the site.

Now throw a SRP in there that lighter than both.

I said the KB's were heavier than ANY other pistons I've checked, not specifically the Diamonds, that was just an easy comparison to make while I was at work and not able to look up a lot of sites.

I wasn't telling the OP what to do, just making an observation please don't take it out of context.

I can see where it wouldn't matter too much for a street/strip motor but since I race my car regularly, and plan to twist it 7200 and make about 650 HP or so I would think the lighter piston would be easier on the crank and rods. I'll pay the $200 - $300 extra for custom pistons and 60 grams less.

-
Back