Idea for a virtual and true ENGINEMASTERS CHALLENGE

-
5K? Whew! Your right there, that’s 4 shuure!
I get that, it was a random number. But regardless of actual decided budget cap it should take into account what level of exotic parts you can expect. I don't understand why you'd kneecap the competition by saying no "style x" heads.

I personally would be more interested in seeing what guys can accomplish on a low budget build than some high dollar deals but that's just me.

I get that, it was a random number. But regardless of actual decided budget cap it should take into account what level of exotic parts you can expect. I don't understand why you'd kneecap the competition by saying no "style x" heads.

I personally would be more interested in seeing what guys can accomplish on a low budget build than some high dollar deals but that's just me.

Budget is objective. That’s the issue with it.

I no longer deal with OE heads. Period. That’s one of my rules. It’s not worth it.

I no longer deal with OE heads. Period. That’s one of my rules. It’s not worth it.
I agree. I think messing around with OE heads is pretty silly for any real performance application. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing W2 entries. Or late model hemi engines, etc.

I‘d pass on that. That’s **** like Hysteric would build. Cost would be stupid for little gain.
I think ingenuity would be the focus, and getting a core to start with would be easy for everyone involved and it's just straight forward, and would focus on who's skills are better..

Last edited:
a budget cap would be interesting because it would show where the builders were spending their money.

cap is 5K and one builder spends 3K in heads and another spends 3K in stroker kit and machine work, things of that nature.

agree that the carb should be standardized. TQ, holly DP750 or something along those lines.

I think ingenuity would be the focus, and getting a core to start with would be easy for everyone involved and it's just straight forward, and would focus on who's skills are better..

I‘m all for ingenuity. What I’m not for is 40-50 year old, used up, worn out rusted up junk **** castings.

Thats not using ingenuity. That’s stepping over donuts to pick up dog ****.

Yeah, well I guess the last thing you'd want to do is be on a factory parts level playing field, with only your ingenuity to guide you.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I guess the last thing you'd want to do is be on a factory parts level playing field, with only your ingenuity to guide you.

Yup. If you call building junk ingenuity you have issues. Seek help.

Why do you clowns have such an affection for junk ****?

Amazing.

I‘m all for ingenuity. What I’m not for is 40-50 year old, used up, worn out rusted up junk **** castings.

Thats not using ingenuity. That’s stepping over donuts to pick up dog ****.
You're retired, so there's that, you won't be competing. lol
You could do a bench race build using W2 heads. :D
Hell, we could all do one and use the calculator for hp estimate.
No money involved and everyone can compete. lol
Just think how nice the free machine work will be. lol

You're retired, so there's that, you won't be competing. lol
You could do a bench race build using W2 heads. :D
Hell, we could all do one and use the calculator for hp estimate.
No money involved and everyone can compete. lol
Just think how nice the free machine work will be. lol

Exactly.

But I can come out of retirement. But not for some **** where I have to deal with crusty assed iron **** so the small thinkers on here can call it ingenuity.

And I have access to a dyno.

Yup. If you call building junk ingenuity you have issues. Seek help.

Why do you clowns have such an affection for junk ****?

Amazing.
It's not about what you're building it's about how you build it, in these sort of competitions. :rolleyes:
Obviously you don't understand that, but keep saying "junk" and "****" if it make's you feel like a Pro..
You know, it's ironic that you carry on about the goobers who watch UTG, when that's pretty much you're whole shtick here, always trying to impress the impressionable with your "junk" and "****" comedy act.
Let's just make sure the contest it has enough "glitter" to pacify the Rat.. but he'll probably try to piss all over it anyway because it's not about him.

Last edited:
Exactly.

But I can come out of retirement. But not for some **** where I have to deal with crusty assed iron **** so the small thinkers on here can call it ingenuity.

And I have access to a dyno.
It's obvious you wouldn't possess the skills to be competitive anyway, that's why you're hiding behind this whole "junk and "****" routine, and who'd want you there ?, kicking **** around the floor and bitching away about dog **** and donuts.LOL
So I guess if doing a factory iron thing would keep you away, then that's one positive point.

Ditto. I like the low budget idea. If it were here in the states and/or allowed a 383/400 block I could possibly be game.

I think anything and everything should be allowed but apply a rigidly enforced budgetary limit, that forces innovation and careful parts selection.

I'd keep it limited to mopars, because that's what we're interested here TBH.

Budget limits always get ridiculously convoluted because someone always brings a "sweetheart" deal or a "junkyard find".

I think keeping it the simple is better for the first go around is the way to go and that is either keeping OEM blocks/heads/single 4150/10.5 comp /flat tappet lifter and a narrow cubic inch range because we all know a '906 head won't feed a 440 the same as it will a 383. J.Rob

Last edited:
I think It would largely depend on the budget cap. Let's say you can spend $5k max including machining costs on the whole engine, no sweetheart "I bought this 426 from my buddy for $2k" bs. It's going to be difficult to build anything exotic with that kind of limit.
Love the idea but impossible to police. J.Rob

Agreed on the issue of budget but keeping OEM heads keeps it about the skill level of the guy holding the grinder which I think is the attraction for some if not most. J.Rob

I never said anything about no X heads. If this is about OEM heads and small blocks then I'd have no problem with them at all. J.Rob

Agreed on the issue of budget but keeping OEM heads keeps it about the skill level of the guy holding the grinder which I think is the attraction for some if not most. J.Rob

Yeah, I understand that. I cringe every time I think about my W2 build that’s coming up. Grinding on iron just has zero appeal to me any more. And they are my heads lol.

Maybe a spec aluminum head. Like Speed Master’s or something at that price point.

Also, would this be a pump gas deal or fuel of choice???

I also never really wanted to limit this invitation to just to this forum (FABO). I was more thinking along the lines of making this an open source YouTube project that maybe would attract Mopar specific Youtubers to FABO. J.Rob

Yeah, I understand that. I cringe every time I think about my W2 build that’s coming up. Grinding on iron just has zero appeal to me any more. And they are my heads lol.

Maybe a spec aluminum head. Like Speed Master’s or something at that price point.

Also, would this be a pump gas deal or fuel of choice???
Well if we are doing small blocks then yes that could be an idea but won't work for a bigblock build off. Any locally available commercial pumpgas--no more than 10% ethanol. J.Rob

I guess first things first--A consensus is needed on WHAT SIZE ENGINE/B/RB/LA?

I guess maybe a poll is in order.

Just my thoughts....everyone entering has a list of parts they currently have for the build. Must supply the list of parts for scrutiny/valuation.
For ex, my build,
Stock 340 block, .030 over
Cam is 20-274-4 Comp.
So block is .030 over, let's say 1 penalty point?
Comp cam above stock spec, 2 penalty points?
I have an Offy DQ for an intake(not allowed)
Carb cfm limitations?
Kinda like a hockey/football fantasy league?
Iron heads only? ANY aftermarket heads +3 penalty points?
I dont have any porting capabilities, so someone that can port discloses what they will or have done?
Just some ideas...

I know there are lots of BB guys, but there are more sb. You would get more participants if it was sb/la based?
I guess first things first--A consensus is needed on WHAT SIZE ENGINE/B/RB/LA?

I guess maybe a poll is in order.

Just my thoughts....everyone entering has a list of parts they currently have for the build. Must supply the list of parts for scrutiny/valuation.
For ex, my build,
Stock 340 block, .030 over - Don't care , we will factor for cubes
Cam is 20-274-4 Comp. - Don't care as long as lifter type is respected
So block is .030 over, let's say 1 penalty point? No
Comp cam above stock spec, 2 penalty points? No
I have an Offy DQ for an intake(not allowed) Correct
Carb cfm limitations? None if it bolts to a 4150 flange
Kinda like a hockey/football fantasy league?
Iron heads only? ANY aftermarket heads +3 penalty points? Gets messy
I dont have any porting capabilities, so someone that can port discloses what they will or have done? Don't care the dyno will have its say
Just some ideas...
Thanks for the ideas. J.Rob

-
Back