Ideas on shipping a grill?

-

drtybttr

Reaction score
I am sure many of you have done this but this is my first go around. I need to ship a duster grill half way across the country and am not sure to package it. I obviously don't want it to get damaged or broken in anyway. So any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

the best and safest way would to be make a box out of plywood, or it will get broke!. especially if its a sharktooth grille!

pack it in bubble wrap and shrink wrap a lot spare none
and put it in a box and insure it

1. bubble wrap it

2. tape the bubble wrap tightly around the unit -- spare no tape.

3. use a 1x2 scrap wood or smaller/pvc tube & make a roll cage for that grille-- nothing fancy-- just so if the box gets hit, this protects the edges & sides of the grille

4.get a heavy duty box that you can custom fit the grille in--- as long as it it larger you can cut & fit

ship it-- it is a lot of work to correctly package fragile items & make it un-harmed to destination-- no matter which service used.
Lawrence

Like Vdart said then fill the box with those lovely peanuts.

Make up something like the box I built to ship a tranny from the east coast to the west coast.
Plywood bottom with 2x2 for reinforcement and luan on the sides.
It made it there with no problems.
There was also a plywood top on in not shown in the picture.

1000286n.jpg

X2. Build a crate like sireland67 did. That's what I did for the sharktooth I sold years ago. The buyer was more than willing to pay for the wood just to make sure it made it there in one piece. When I shipped a 74 Dart Sport Grill around the same time frame, UPS destroyed it and the box it was in. Yeah it was insured, but that was a waist of a perfectly good grill. Letting them box it doesn't mean it will get there undamaged either, it just means they are more responsible for the way it arrives, but it's still a waist of a perfectly good grill.

66cuda, Paul, just sent me a dash pad via FedEx. He put the original shipping box inside a piece of that heavy cardboard tube they use as a form for concrete pillars.. and plugged the ends,, We figure a truck could drive over it, almost.. lol..

I'll be pickin it up next week,, I'll post pics, and let you know how it made out,

and yes I insured it.. grant

If you can't get a circular tube, build a triangular box. A triangle is MUCH stronger and resistant to crushing than a rectangle. Simple geometry.

Thank you guys for all of your fantastic responses. This was hugely insightful and educational. I really do appreciate all of your help, and sireland67 for the great pic.

-
Back