Identifying 73 and up disc brakes

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend was given a pretty complete disc brake set up. it was on a 72 dart and the owner bought some sort of fancy aftermarket brake set up. from the 3 pics he sent me, I believe that this is an A-body 73 and up "slider caliper" disc brake set up. What could we check (measurements?) to confirm that is what this is. 4.5 inch bolt pattern discs.
73 up disc set up1.jpeg
73 up disc set up2.jpg
73 up disc set up3.jpg

Those are 73+ discs. 72 and earlier are 4 piston.

So if that were the only 2 choices, we'd be golden, but there are all sorts of threads here showing folks how to use various disc brake set ups on A-bodies (different body lines, more modern Mopar disc set ups). I'm trying to confirm positively that's what a previous owner installed...

So if that were the only 2 choices, we'd be golden, but there are all sorts of threads here showing folks how to use various disc brake set ups on A-bodies (different body lines, more modern Mopar disc set ups). I'm trying to confirm positively that's what a previous owner installed...

You've been told what they are. What's the problem? If you don't want them, throw them in the frikkin trash can.

If you really need to get that "picky" take apart all the parts, lay them all down.
Take some clear pictures of the spindles, and the dust shields, and i can tell you if they did come off a 73-76 A body car, or some other, by the casting design of the spindles, and the shape, stamping, of the holes in the dust shields.
Some differences in the designs between body styles, but they all work, interchange, so don't loose any sleep over it.

The could also be F-body spindles with 73-76 A-body upper control arms, but it doesn't matter as they can be used interchangeably, but make sure both spindles are the same height...Also, could be 10.87" rotors or 11.75" using late B-body caliper adapters (doesn't look like those)...No other choices for slider calipers using Mopar parts.

They are not B body because of the caliper mount. B bodies used pins to retain the calipers. I'm with "everybody" Use them. You an buy larger calipers I've forgotten the application but I see no need to. One decision is whether to mount them caliper to rear or caliper to front. Caliper to rear gives you some more clearance if you use an anti roll bar, and then you must use different hoses, and swap the spindles left to right, and then make sure the calipers are mounted with bleeders up.

Courtesy of bigblockdart.com
Spindle Comparison
Gives you the dimensions to tell the difference between the A, F/M/J and B/E setups.

Thank You! those comparison pictures were just what I was looking for!

They are not B body because of the caliper mount. B bodies used pins to retain the calipers. I'm with "everybody" Use them. You an buy larger calipers I've forgotten the application but I see no need to. One decision is whether to mount them caliper to rear or caliper to front. Caliper to rear gives you some more clearance if you use an anti roll bar, and then you must use different hoses, and swap the spindles left to right, and then make sure the calipers are mounted with bleeders up.

Thank you! That was just the kind of easy give away difference I was hoping to find.

Have no fear, these will be headed to the front end of a 68 drum brake A-body soon!

The could also be F-body spindles with 73-76 A-body upper control arms, but it doesn't matter as they can be used interchangeably, but make sure both spindles are the same height...Also, could be 10.87" rotors or 11.75" using late B-body caliper adapters (doesn't look like those)...No other choices for slider calipers using Mopar parts.

From the look of the pic, they are the 10.87" rotors as the dust shields stick out past the rotors. The 11.75" rotors are even with the dust shield edges. Mopar used the same dust shields on both, and all the way up to 1989.

78-79 B and C body caliper pistons are 2.75" diameter and the casting is the exact same as the A body casting including banjo fitting location making for a nice stopping upgrade. The only difference is the piston size A body is smaller at 2.60" diameter. Some B body cars came with pin type calipers but by at least 1978 they were all slider calipers including pickups and vans.

Last edited:
-
Back