idle issues!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

-

73snakeskin

Reaction score
ok guys I am chasing a problem with my 318 idling funny, My carb is a holley 2210, the motor runs great for the most part but when I drive through town and have to stop at a stop light it idles fine for about 15 seconds then starts sputtering every few seconds then it just dies, it always starts right back up and runs fine, its just a weird issue when idling. sometimes ill catch it right before it dies and as im accelerating it sputters then just takes off like normal. any ideas?

I want to say fuel, but try to eliminate ignition first

What do you have for ignition, IE the factory Mopar ECU or aftermarket?

Get yourself a clip lead, and one of these

289003+1+1319388218.jpg

Remove the BLUE wire from the alternator field. Hook it back up using the above piggyback terminal

Hook your clip lead to the terminal, and then tuck it away "safe" away from exhaust, and clip the other end to the alternator output stud.

THIS HOTWIRES the ignition. Start the engine. Shut the key off. It should still run. Turn the key back to run and do a test drive

Remove the ignition box, scrape the firewall clean, scrape the mounting ears clean, and re-mount using star lock washers. Remove the ignition connectors, at the ballast, the distributor, and ECU. "Work" them in/ out several times

===================================

If the above comes up nothing, I'd concentrate on fuel. Might be dirt, might be too much pressure, a weak needle and seat. Get the engine warm, raise the hood and remove the air filter, and just watch down the carb throats. And LISTEN. Do you see or hear fuel dripping / running into the carb just before it quits?

Might be a good idea to add a fuel pressure gauge "for awhile."

By the way, what do you have for a pump?

OK, right now I am using the factory ignition, everything is nice and tight, ( ballast, regulator ect..) I will try the alternator trick this afternoon, and I am also running the stock mechanical pump and it is running around 6psi. I also did forget to mention, the problem started as I was cruising down the interstate at 70MPH and then it acted like it just died and lost power like it might have sucked something up, but ive been through all the fuel lines, also changed from the stock small 2bbl, to the 2210, both carbs are having the same issue.

Could the pick up tube in the gas tank be clogged?

-
Back