Idler arm confusion

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
So I’m looking to swap out my idler arm on my 68 dart due to age and some minor contact with the header. I order up a 68 and it’s way different from the one on my car. Did the previous owner run a 73 and later one? My original one is a top mount and the new one looks like a bottom mount.
70DE820A-E7C1-4802-8BDC-27E617480754.jpeg

I dont have a side shot that I can find but this is my 75. It bolts thru the top of the center link.

Screenshot_20181111-201439_Gallery.jpg

if it goes thru the top of the drag link...it is a 73 and newer.....68 to 72 idler arm and pitman arm come up thru the bottom.

if it goes thru the top of the drag link...it is a 73 and newer.....68 to 72 idler arm and pitman arm come up thru the bottom.
Maybe the previous owner swapped a later K frame under it...is the idler arm the only thing that comes from under?

I'd just buy a 73 and up idler arm and use it if that is how it's been. Has the car been driving the with the 73+
Yes but. Now rig the new Doug’s headers it hits bad! If it were the right 68 stuff there would be lots of room. Looks like I would need a new pitman arm and I could reuse my tie rods just rotate them.

Well I found that my k frame is from a 73 and later a body. If I convert back to the 68 I will have all the room. But will all my other suspension work that’s the question.

Well I found that my k frame is from a 73 and later a body. If I convert back to the 68 I will have all the room. But will all my other suspension work that’s the question.

!!NO!! It is not the K. Here is the deal:

confused, steering gear compatibility

67 K is one year only and has a special idler arm
68--72 K uses pillow engine mounts
73/ later K uses spool engine mounts

Between 68--72 THE STEERING LINKAGE can be swapped IF you keep the idler, the pitman arm, the center link, and the pitman arm spline to fit the steering box "all together"

In other words you can swap those parts "together" all the way from 68--76

But they must be kept "together."

!!NO!! It is not the K. Here is the deal:

confused, steering gear compatibility

67 K is one year only and has a special idler arm
68--72 K uses pillow engine mounts
73/ later K uses spool engine mounts

Between 68--72 THE STEERING LINKAGE can be swapped IF you keep the idler, the pitman arm, the center link, and the pitman arm spline to fit the steering box "all together"

In other words you can swap those parts "together" all the way from 68--76

But they must be kept "together."

Yea I found the k is a pillow mount 68-72 but the linkage is different. Is a manual pitman arm spline the same as between the years? I have a line on a correct 68 center link and picked up an idler arm. Do the tie rods intermix between the years?

If you have later model power steering, you may need a pitman arm that Chrysler never produced. I recall reading somewhere that the aftermarket now offers a pitman arm that will connect late model large spline steering gear to early model center link.
"If" word again... Easy learn is measure the hex nut that holds the pitman arm on the steering gear. If it is 1&5/16 That's the later model steering gear and you would need a special/oddball pitman arm to attach to a early model center link.
If that nut measures 1&1/8 for manual and power steering of earlier design.

I definitely have the small sector manual steering box so it should fit factory Pitman arm no problem

Yeah you will have to change the pitman arm and idler arm along with the center link but those are available. Tie rod ends are all the same, a non issue.
One more thing... There was a discussion about these center links be symmetric or not. A member had a problem with something hitting something ( I forget exactly what ). Switching ends with the center link fixed it. So even though there isn't a noticeable difference in the ends of the center link nor markings on it... I would test fit it both ways.

68 barracuda center links would work correct? My buddy has one for me...

It will if you have/ can get the matching idler/ pitman

Your are overthinking this. Regardless of the year of the car, so long as it is 67/ later, and does NOT have a 67 K member.............

there are THREE PIECES which must go together, actually 4

the center link, the idler, and the pitman must all go together. And the pitman splines must fit the box. "Generally" the studs on the idler/ pitman point one way for 72/ earlier, and the other way for 73/ later.

The center link is the Chinese key to the puzzle, as it dictates which way the studs must point.

IT IS THAT simple. Nothing else is intertwined in these 3-4 pieces. The tire rod ends don't matter, nor does the year of the car, the K, the A arms, etc.

If you look at that link I posted, it pictures the two different setups from the shop manual

Well switched everything to 68 dart parts and we are back in business. It’s still really close but clears. Thanks for all info guys.

-
Back