Idler Arm question

-

Fittrjoe

Reaction score
Anyone know If Idler Arm with roller bearings ( Like Bergman ) are any better than the standard bushing type?
I need a knew one and dont mind spending a little more if its a nice upgrade.
67 Barracuda with 68 K member
Thanks

Technically it would be better

Will you notice any difference probably not.

going from old to new you will notice difference.

I installed a roller bearing idler arm from @BergmanAutoCraft on my Duster. It makes a significant, VERY noticeable difference. It removes quite a bit of resistance, especially when changing directions, like if you were turning right and then turned quickly back left.

Now, I have manual 16:1 steering with 275/35/18's up front, so anything that makes the steering lighter will be noticeable. But the roller bearing idler was a significant improvement over the standard idler arm, more than I expected for sure. I will be putting them on all my cars.

Thanks for responding
I am going to chat with Peter on Monday and get more specifics. On paper the design seems excellent and would also take stress off other parts in the system.
My main concern would be durability over long haul.

Thanks for responding
I am going to chat with Peter on Monday and get more specifics. On paper the design seems excellent and would also take stress off other parts in the system.
My main concern would be durability over long haul.

It's a roller bearing, so, pretty significant improvement over the original. Outside of possibly having to lubricate it once and awhile, it should last forever at that location

Seems to me, I was taught that the idler inner and outer barrels were fused, as we're some control arm bushings.
The thru bolt wasn't to be tightened till all work and alignment were complete, or could cause a "pull".
At that time caster was 0 to -1*.
So the idler was more important returning the steering wheel to center than with today's skosh settings .
fwiw.

-
Back