Idler pulley problems

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
My A-body Duster has manual steering, so I need to run an idler pulley where the pump goes. I bought a Mopar Idler Pulley Bracket (Part#)04593918AA and a plastic pulley that goes on it. They arrived today, installed just fine, but the bracket appears to be too long by about 1/4" so the pulley doesn't line up with the rest of the belt line. Shortening the bracket would be a *****. I assumed that all these brackets would be the same length. Any suggestions? Chrysler parts people are no help.

What cover are you running (car/truck)? I just bolted a pulley on a boss of the cover with a spacer on my setup (no A/C or P/S on a truck cover). I can take some pictures if it would help, but if you're running a car cover I'm not sure if you could do the same thing or not.

What cover are you running (car/truck)? I just bolted a pulley on a boss of the cover with a spacer on my setup (no A/C or P/S on a truck cover). I can take some pictures if it would help, but if you're running a car cover I'm not sure if you could do the same thing or not.
I'm running a car cover. My 2012 Challenger has electric P.S. and uses this type of idler. The spacer bolts to the driver's side cylinder head (which you probably already know). I could measure it and ask Mopar for specs on the spacer, but they prob. wouldn't have them. :-(

2012's have different crank pulleys and I'm sure spacing to. Try an idler from an 05 300.

Bouchellon & Street and Performance sell a kit to replace a PS pump.

I also used this method. Bought one online for 20.00

Can you give a little more info on deleting the internals? I'd be interested in doing this to my old pump that I got with my 5.7. I'll still have to replace the pulley on the pump, as mine was chipped on the outer edge when the junkyard pulled the motor out of the Wagnum R/T.

You can run without an A/c and P/S pump by just using a shorter belt on the car front covers cant you?

Can you give a little more info on deleting the internals? I'd be interested in doing this to my old pump that I got with my 5.7. I'll still have to replace the pulley on the pump, as mine was chipped on the outer edge when the junkyard pulled the motor out of the Wagnum R/T.
it was easy. Just open carefully. Get the little wings out of it which are sticking in the inner assy and put together again. Just be carefull that it goes together the same way. easier than you might think...

it was easy. Just open carefully. Get the little wings out of it which are sticking in the inner assy and put together again. Just be carefull that it goes together the same way. easier than you might think...

Interesting. I will have to try this out.

In car-speak I believe those would be the pump vanes for those interested. Clever solution for sure.

:prayer: Thanks Buschi, sounds easy enough. I'm guessing you then fill it with whatever PS fluid would be used in the vehicle the motor came out of, and install pipe plugs in the holes where the hoses went. Now I just need to find a good pulley. The front lip of mine has a chip out of it, and it would work just fine....but it would drive me nuts looking at it! :violent1:

guess those pulleys are cheap at your local dodge dealer. I put hydraulic oil in and pluged it. But I left it on top open for venting first. Don't know if required. Now for some racing I plugged it too. No probs since then...

unfortunately I have no pics. Just the final look before i plugged it completely. But next I will search for a sealed ball bearing so no oil is required.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 153
Man that Bouchellon piece is expensive... Randy seems like a nice guy and was helpful over the phone. I didn't order it yet because he has to check the fitment for the vvt truck timing cover.

-
Back