If I do say so myself, "White Whale"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
In a nearby galaxy a 'ell of a long time ago, the White Whale was leaking ATF like you can't believe........about 3/4 qt in about 100 miles!!!

So I finally FINALLY got it re-hung today. It's mated to the engine, about 5 bolts snugged up, so I HOPE the really hard work is "done." If I can brag a little, building a transmission jack using an engine hoist was certainly one of my better ideas

Holy CRAP that was in JUNE?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=317326

The blue tarp. About 34F today, an "nice balmy day" LOL

That jack works better than I could ever imagine. No busted knuckles, and only a couple of "blue" words, LOL. I might have this runnin before Christmas!!

Attachments

• IMG_0887cs.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_0901cs.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0900cs.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_0898cs.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_0897cs.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 5,061
  • IMG_0896cs.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_0892cs.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4,514
  • IMG_0888cs.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 692
h o l y s n a p p i n g a s s h o l e s ---- that is some crazy stuff! PROOF that necessity is the mother of invention.

Damn smart, Del. Good luck with it.

Barring the coming snowstorm (now LOL) I'll get out about 10AM tomorrow. I drained it by pulling the pan, but left that for "back in the truck." I'll change the filter and gasket. Judging from the "look" of this, I bet it's been overhauled, the transmission, that is. It worked great, just leaked.

Nice job Del! Is that an old garage door opener worm screw track you used for the level adjuster?

No just a length of I guess 1/2" allthread. it ain't pretty LOL Even I was amazed at how little it took to get this mess back up in there. In fact, this might be the easiest "in the car" trans install I ever did!!

(Any jack I used in the past involved blocks, floor jacks, and other makeshift)

LOL you should have been near me when I pulled the Trans in my Vega, on stands, side of the road. That little car has a HEAVY Trans! As said, nice Afro Engineering.

When I was young, I've changed Ford 4 and 3 speed OD with no jack, but that was tough. You hand to be at the right height and right position to take advantage of bodily leverage.

Any A833 I changed was B, cast iron. I had to have a jack for those. Used a floor jack back then.

Did a few autos, same deal........used a floor jack and "careful" balancing LOL

The guy who would later be the first owner of my 70RR had a 65 Chevelle with a 350 when I first met him. This was in the fall of 68, so 350's were very new. He'd bought a wrecked 67 Camaro, pulled the engine / 4 speed and Ralley wheels and put em on the Chevelle. A flat cam led to the install of the infamous 350 hp cam, and the 'breakage' was ON. During the time I knew him he broke two 10 bolt rear axles, a couple of clutches, and snapped the input shaft off the Muncie.

One big "breakage" was on the SF-Oakland bridge. Were were at Treasure Island. He came blazing off the ramp towards SF from TI and broke "everything". We coasted down the bridge to a turn out and the rear end locked up!!! Sent one guy to a call box, and jacked it up and tore the rear axle apart. Cleaned out the pieces. BUT two of us "didn't know" back then yet what C clips "were for" They fell out TOO. Remember, this is a SINGLE master cylinder. The wrecker came and decided to push us to the exit

Everything was 'fine' until we started down the ramp. Both axles came out, the tires rubbed on the fenders!!!. Fortunately, George is a pretty "quick" guy. He had a linelock in the front brakes, and managed to "pump" the brakes a couple of quick jabs, and held with the line lock.

Another trip to the hobby shop!!!!

Guess who? got to help fix all this? We changed a clutch once up in Oregon on a long weekend, with one set of wheels run up on the curb, and the other two jacked up on 2x4's

No jacks allowed!!!

Cardboard baby!!! CARDBOARD!!

I printed pics of your engineering wizardry!! I have a real nice HD engine cherry picker and it's fix'n to get some surgery!!

treblig

I printed pics of your engineering wizardry!! I have a real nice HD engine cherry picker and it's fix'n to get some surgery!!

treblig

Be sure and post any improvements you make.

One thing wrong with mine........if you let it "all the way" down, the support plate interferes with the top arm, which binds up the adjuster. "At the least" I need to notch the plate

Mounting the plate a bit higher, and further "out" would help this. The arrow shows where the arm interferes as the thing comes down further

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,250
Be sure and post any improvements you make.

One thing wrong with mine........if you let it "all the way" down, the support plate interferes with the top arm, which binds up the adjuster. "At the least" I need to notch the plate

Mounting the plate a bit higher, and further "out" would help this. The arrow shows where the arm interferes as the thing comes down further

Yes, I can see how those two modifications would make it much easier to use.

thanks,
treblig

So, Sunday. Warmed all the way up to 30F so far. Trying to snow. I actually got a little more done, came in for lunch. I "may" go out and do a bit more work.

Got the trans bolted up except for starter and braces

Got the converter bolts started, need to tighten' em

Got the crossmember and trans mount in and exhaust "roughed" into place. The hard work should be over

Have to finish up, change the filter and add ATF I might have this on the ground by Tuesday

Attachments

• IMG_0906cs.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0907cs.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 455
Testing, whone, teuuuuuu, thaaaaaaareeeeeee, foooooooooorrrrrrrrroooooorrrrrr

f55d39.jpg

It doesn't seem to need a rebuild, and in fact I suspect it had been. it was leaking atv like nobody's business either out the front pump gasket, or the plug

4:11PM just got back in the house IT RUNS!! It's snowy and slick, just under freezing so it's SLICK. I drove it around the block, and it moves, but it's so slick I ain't goin' to play with it. "We'll see" if the leak is fixed!!!

nice, looks like your win'n the battle with El Nino. lol

It just keeps on bein' fun, LMAO. We seem to be getting a "reprieve" from the snow, but at the cost of temperature. Highs this week are going to be low 20's or barely 20. That's the HIGH

http://www.khq.com/weather

73igl2.jpg

Just hope I fixed the leak, LOL. I never really knew for sure where it was coming from. Nothing, including the gasket, looked suspect. I resealed that plug in the front, but it, too, appeared OK and tight.

Wish to hell these had a drain plug. It sure would make things easier and "more tidy"

Good luck. I hope you got it.

Just hope I fixed the leak, LOL. I never really knew for sure where it was coming from. Nothing, including the gasket, looked suspect. I resealed that plug in the front, but it, too, appeared OK and tight.

Wish to hell these had a drain plug. It sure would make things easier and "more tidy"

NAPA sells a drain plug kit you can add to the pan for about $10. If I do a trans that doesn't have one I install one

-
Back