If you had the choice which would you choose?

Overdrive options

• Total voters
-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
Street strip Dart Overdrive wanted. I'm waiting for the Passon unit but I think the Gear vendors would be the easiest with my set up.

You can't afford a new trans, you just bought a house!! :toothy10:

I placed my vote :cheers:

im voting passion on this one. we have a gear vendor OD on our 68 S&M clone and its awesome!

all the tremec stuff has the 3&5 gates way to close together so its really easy to miss 3 and go to 5th.

as far as a passion we buy all our 18 spline 4 speeds thru him and they are great! cant see any problem with a 5 speed from them.... maybe even aluminum case!

I did not vote. If I wanted a stick I would chose either the 833 gv or a t56 as the ones that are out are not strong enough and the other ones are fantasy land right now, the McLeod is somewhat comical, it goes from "we are in the final stages of testing" and "up to 1000 pounds of tourque"to "having to build our own gears". While I believe Passon wil be releasing one, saw a post somewhere about the unit being over $5k for just the box. And the Keisler auto 4 speed is a gm. Build one yourself, I believe it is a 4l60e. Quicktime sells the adapter bellhousing and then pick a controller, baumann, tci and there is a few others....

Jamie claims that price will be under $5000. You'll spend that much any with other conversions. Supposed to be ready by the end of winter.

I say 833 OD. I'm not a big fan of these---there seemed to be a lot of 'em that wore out early and started 'falling out of gear' 'specially in vans and pu's, but......

You could build an 833 OD, stick it RIGHT in there and save your original 4 speed "as is" if you want to spend a summer drag racing.

Much easier, much faster to install, and a hell of a lot cheaper

Of course you can't impress your buddies with your new 6 speed, but then, THEY didn't pay for it

I say 833 OD. I'm not a big fan of these---there seemed to be a lot of 'em that wore out early and started 'falling out of gear' 'specially in vans and pu's, but......

You could build an 833 OD, stick it RIGHT in there and save your original 4 speed "as is" if you want to spend a summer drag racing.

Much easier, much faster to install, and a hell of a lot cheaper

Of course you can't impress your buddies with your new 6 speed, but then, THEY didn't pay for it

All I know is there are a lot of them out there and it's only 17ish bolts to change one out lol.

I have one in my swinger right now and on the freeway with 3.55 I am turning low 1900-2000rpms
The low first gear is decent too

only problems is, the one I have makes a bit of noise when you accelerate in 2nd, lol but only half the time

Although mine is an auto, how about the TKO 6060 (this is the "new" 6 speed in the challenger,zr1 vette, and viper.

tko 6060 would be the ticket. not sure of the final ratio though.

the tko600 is .64 5th

the tko500 in the vert is .68 5th

The passon 5 speed seems nice, but i definatly wouldnt pay 5k for a transmission that cant hold BIG power...not worth imo unless you really need the overdrive in a 1 of 11 71 cuda convert LOL

Speaking from personal experience, there is no way, unless you have all the work outsourced to someone else, are building the trans for racing, or buy the keisler kit, that you will have 5k into the swap...if you do, well imo you are insane lol

Do your research, hunt for parts that interchange from other vehicles, find used parts, and do the work yourself, and you can be in it for alot less than that

thats my opinion, good luck with!

and for the record, im getting rid of my 5 speed because i broke it, have the option to go to stronger 5 speed, but I am opting for the 4 gear...4.10 gears and 4000 miles in the summer, lots of highway stuff too! imo, the only overdrive trans worth a s%$* is the nash and richmond 5 speeds

I have a T56 .74 - 5th and .50 - 6th in my barn which I'm still considering using against the 360 in my Signet but I just love the Dynamic 727 push button that's there.

I have a T56 redone to handle 750hp .74 - 5th and .50 - 6th in my barracuda and it cost less then all of them to install.If I was to pick one I would go with passon.

I voted GM, but not the 700R4. I've got a 4L80 minus the E in my '68 Barracuda. I'll get pics up as soon as it's done. Quicktime Performance makes a great adapter bell and PTC is building a custom converter to fit the crank pilot and proper mounting feet so I don't have to shim. Good gear spread and awesome strength! Flame on!

I chose the A500. I'm a big 904 fan. They can be built to take anything you throw at them and are much lighter internally than the A518.

-
Back