Ignition choices "what is your favorite"

-

fishman

Reaction score
Got the "408" running everything is good so far. Looks like I will need to upgrade the ignition. I put a stock electronic in for now. So lets here what everybody has to say. Give me some input on what you like or what works good. Thanks Tom

What RPM do you drive in?
Street/strip or strip?
Rear gear ratio, stall speed and cam duration @ .050 please.

MSD 6 series will work very well for this set up.

A cheaper way would be the MP Chrome box which I have found to be a very good ignition box. (Use proper resister with it.)

Between the two, theres no performance difference but the MSD helps alot in the lower RPM range for around town driving and mileage. Starts the car a bit easier to in most cases.

Thanks 360 I just saw a MP setup on ebag for 175.00 shipped. that's a deal on that, Might have to make a move on that.

If you can flip the coin for the MSD, that is my recomendation. You'll run a bit better on the low end and cleaner on alow speed acceleration. It's worth the purchase. (If you can of course.)

Check the Mallory stuff. I've used two of their multispark boxes and feature for feature beat MSD. A lot cheaper too and all digital not analog. I have a 685 on my duster now, it has a lot of neat features. check it out.

I would suggest looking into the msd digital 6 and hvc coil...I know it has a timing start retard feature thats really nice. If you to plan on racing it has a built in 2-step as well.

I have this setup on my 390 amc.

Msd 6a, coil and DEFINITELY the distributor. Then you can tune your advance rate by spring changes, and choose your mech advance by changing bushings. Very modular.

I really like the MSD stuff, I run a 6a box with a blaster 2 coil and probillet distributor.

Of corse if I had money falling out my rear I get the 7 series msd box, you can fiddle timing on each individual cylinder and really dial the timing in to the tee.

MSD had nothing but good luck with my 6AL blaster coil and billet distributor

Msd 6a, coil and DEFINITELY the distributor. Then you can tune your advance rate by spring changes, and choose your mech advance by changing bushings. Very modular.

The Mopar Performance distributor has a fully adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance for a lot less than the MSD distributor.

MSD..nothing else comes close,ran a mopar system for years switched to msd..like night and day...

msd 6AL is good,malory also makes a good setup. but make sure you get the digital and not the analog

I like my FBO setup. Reasonably priced, setup for your package and can use stock parts if you get stranded. My Dart fires right up even in the cold Idaho winters. I did have a problem with the ignition box, which he quickly replaced.
I've had it for 2 years now.

The Mopar Performance distributor has a fully adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance for a lot less than the MSD distributor.

Wow. They finally got it. Last time I used one (even on a customers car) You could only get a set of springs. can you change the amount of mech. advance and how fast it comes in? That is what I love about the MSD.

Alright you guys convenced me got an MSD set in the mail today. Getting ready to go to bed so I can get up early. I'll fire up the heat in the garage in the AM and put that setup in. Got the whole set dis. box and coil, ordered it from Mancini. Got the mopar version love the logo, looks cool in black. Hope it helps, maybe get some break in miles on this new motor tomorrow. Thanks for the input my wife loves you for all the help LOL.

Alright you guys convenced me got an MSD set in the mail today. Getting ready to go to bed so I can get up early. I'll fire up the heat in the garage in the AM and put that setup in. Got the whole set dis. box and coil, ordered it from Mancini. Got the mopar version love the logo, looks cool in black. Hope it helps, maybe get some break in miles on this new motor tomorrow. Thanks for the input my wife loves you for all the help LOL.

SWEET!!

Wow. They finally got it. Last time I used one (even on a customers car) You could only get a set of springs. can you change the amount of mech. advance and how fast it comes in? That is what I love about the MSD.

Yes, the MP distributor has been made by Mallory since the early 00's and uses the Mallory adjustable mechanical advance plate. Its infinitely adjustable by loosing a lock screw and sliding a stop. But the easier way is to pick up the Mallory tuning kit that comes with spacers in 2 degree increments. The kit also has an assortment of springs and charts so you can select the springs for the curve you want.

The vacuum advance has an adjustable preload on the vacuum can so you can adjust when the advance starts coming in and the amount of vacuum necessary for full advance. The total amount vaccum advance is fixed.

So $160 for the distributor from jegs and $43 & change for the mallory kit?

I'll just spend the $226 for the MSD that comes with all of that and the option for a wider spaced cap [to alleviate any high rpm cross fire in race apps] along with it's precision timing smoother bearings way bigger reluctor trouble free internals and hey it's polished aluminum......
If you want the factory look the MP is for you.

-
Back