Ignition choices

-

rtee007

Deplorable Texan
Reaction score
I have this MSD distributor by itself. I'd like to use it on a 360 car that is currently equipped with old school breaker ignition, I want to upgrade to electronic. This motor is stock, but I am building a HP engine for it.
I could buy a kit like this ProForm one to do the conversion.
Which serves to be the easiest conversion and do I need to use a MSD box with that MSD unit?
Is the ballast resistor retained if I use the MSD unit?
14906927_1792195784392593_1913671077245309157_n.jpg
000aaa.jpg

The second one gives you better distributor clearance at the wiper motor and firewall

The second one gives you better distributor clearance at the wiper motor and firewall

No wipers! LOL....I am just trying to see which will be better in the long run, if I install the MSD now it will require a MSD box/coil it appears from what I have read.
The other unit looks like like it just bolts in, but would it be enough to run a 500+hp 360 next year?

If you ever plan to run it at the strip, it may benefit you to have a rev limiter, which is integrated into an MSD box. Just something to consider.

You do not need to run an MSD box with that distributor. If I remember correctly, if you choose to run an MSD box, you will bypass the ballast.

If you ever plan to run it at the strip, it may benefit you to have a rev limiter, which is integrated into an MSD box. Just something to consider.

You do not need to run an MSD box with that distributor. If I remember correctly, if you choose to run an MSD box, you will bypass the ballast.

So will a normal Mopar electronic ignition box work with this unit? I would need to retain the ballast resistor in that scenario?

You should take a serious look at the FBO HRR688D Kit.
It has a built in digital rev limiter, a high output at RPM's and runs well enough to take King of the Track award for Don Gould (the owner of FBO) at The 2016 Madras drags in Oregon.
I deal with him here and there and can tell you he's one of the good guys.

Plug and play to the original Mopar harness, 44,000 volt coil, Ignition box with rev limiter, custom curved and vacuum phased distributor assembled for your specific motor. (eliminates the ballast resistor)

Here ya go. FBO Ignition Systems

The Mopar box will need a ballast resistor. It was an early design w/o electronic dwell control. Not much reason to do that. A GM 8-pin HEI module would be better (no ballast), but don't know if the pickup signal is compatible. An MSD box, or similar, would give rev control and other features, plus assured compatible.

I'm leaning toward biting the bullet and doing this on a couple of cars.
The autoparts chain stores 4 pin boxes have proven to be junk lately.
I'm running out of old junk yard boxes.
My daily driver probably suffers from a small voltage drop in the wiring.
Right now it's running a old junk yard 4 pin just fine.
But, again, I'm running out of old stock.
This may be just the ticket.
The web site looks good and any "problems" from years past I have read on the net may have been corrected.
I hope.
Plug and go sounds good.
And the more of "us" that buy them the better to keep him around making the stuff with a lower per unit cost.
I hope.

You should take a serious look at the FBO HRR688D Kit.
It has a built in digital rev limiter, a high output at RPM's and runs well enough to take King of the Track award for Don Gould (the owner of FBO) at The 2016 Madras drags in Oregon.
I deal with him here and there and can tell you he's one of the good guys.

Plug and play to the original Mopar harness, 44,000 volt coil, Ignition box with rev limiter, custom curved and vacuum phased distributor assembled for your specific motor. (eliminates the ballast resistor)

Here ya go. FBO Ignition Systems

I'm leaning toward biting the bullet and doing this on a couple of cars.
The autoparts chain stores 4 pin boxes have proven to be junk lately.
I'm running out of old junk yard boxes.
My daily driver probably suffers from a small voltage drop in the wiring.
Right now it's running a old junk yard 4 pin just fine.
But, again, I'm running out of old stock.
This may be just the ticket.
The web site looks good and any "problems" from years past I have read on the net may have been corrected.
I hope.
Plug and go sounds good.
And the more of "us" that buy them the better to keep him around making the stuff with a lower per unit cost.
I hope.

I build and sell HEI kits using the 8 pin weatherpac connections with instructions as well as email and telephone support but we currently don't have built in rev limiting capabilities.
I honestly do believe the HEI conversion is pretty unbeatable for reliability as well as easy to get parts for anywhere, but the FBO systems have a nice reliable rev limiter as well as a good hot spark so no reason to not like those.
They also have a good reputation for support and are easy to talk to on the phone as well.
Plus there's the 100% made in the USA advantages.

Thanks to all who responded. I like all the suggestions and think that I will for the time being use my stock ignition set up. When I get the engine back I will take another looki into that FBO kit.

-
Back