Ignition Coil firewall relocation query

-

Jason Maitland

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am wanting to relocate my coil off my intake and hoping to locate on the firewall... Is it perfectly fine to use/mount off one of the blower motor bolts as per my pic? I was also thinking I could possibly fab up a special mount and attach it to the unused heater hose fittings, as I will not be re-attaching the heater at all... If anyone has any good recommendations for tidying up/plugging those fittings I would appreciate that feedback too:)
thanks, jj

PXL_20221221_055044412.jpg

PXL_20221221_055058181.jpg

Normally, intake manifolds have a place to mount the coil. Looks like you have some kinda home made bracket. Can you post pictures of the rest of the intake? Normally, the shorter the coil wire, the better.

You are correct - the bracket is something i fabricated myself and attached to the intake to mount it vertically VS horizontally; I was/am trying to reduce coil heat as much as possible, and create space, access to the part of the intake, hence want to mount it on the firewall now... wiring isn't an issue as there is plenty existing length wihin the loom to reach an extra 5/6 inches to the blower motor or if I was to mount somehow off the hose inlet fittings (obviously would have to fabricate a special bracket to achieve this/either option) thanks...

You are correct - the bracket is something i fabricated myself and attached to the intake to mount it vertically VS horizontally; I was/am trying to reduce coil heat as much as possible, and create space, access to the part of the intake, hence want to mount it on the firewall now... wiring isn't an issue as there is plenty existing length wihin the loom to reach an extra 5/6 inches to the blower motor or if I was to mount somehow off the hose inlet fittings (obviously would have to fabricate a special bracket to achieve this/either option) thanks...
I was referring to the resistance of the coil wire. The longer the wire, the more resistance. It does look kinda crowded where you have it though.

No heater hoses so I covered them up I ran The mechanical oil temp, Oil pressure, and water temp. lines through the heater hose holes

Steve 102.JPG

DSCF0171.JPG

Tho this is a 64 B body,I mounted the coil on the firewall.Intake had no provision for a coil mount.
You idea is doable.

IMG_0819.jpg

No heater hoses so I covered them up I ran The mechanical oil temp, Oil pressure, and water temp. lines through the heater hose holes

View attachment 1716024661

View attachment 1716024662
Are the copper heater hose outlets still in place behind your coil? It seems you have made a custom bracket, and attached it to the firewall by screwing/drilling 4 new holes in the firewall, to then attach the coil to the bracket?

The copper tubes were cut off the heater core was shot. The bracket was fastened with the screw going into the hole between the hoses with 3M double face tape to secure it around the perimeter. All other wires were run though the manual washer hose hole and factory tach hole. The car shook around pretty much and it never moved

Anywhere off the engine is better than on the engine, as it cooks the coil. Do not worry about the extra length of the HT lead. Testing was done some years of about 10-12 different HT leads of different resistances. There was only a few HP difference between the best & the worst, but the HP winner was NOT the lead with the lowest resistance.

Thanks everyone , is someone able to confirm if I will be okay to mount directly off the blower motor bolts if in case I don't wish to delete/modify the heater core outlet tubes etc?

Just so it's strong enough to put up with road shocks, bounce, etc.

Yeah okay , I plan to retain the original coil holder and fabricate something to mount off the blower motor bolt to avoid drilling any new holes in the firewall...

Anywhere off the engine is better than on the engine, as it cooks the coil.
My 88 D350 Ram Truck came factory with the coil mounted on the firewall.
Some engineer musta been a racer at some point and thought it was a good idea.

It used to look great. The car was totalled
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I have a 2021 Challenger that was involved in an accident earlier last week. A kid turned right into a street and immediately did a U turn right in front of me! Waiting to hear the results from the damage estimate. Ugh.

-
Back