Ignition Module Recommendations?

-

Ant

Reaction score
The ignition module in my 73 slant 6 Dart seems to have failed. Awhile ago I replaced the crapped out aftermarket icu with an aftermarket one from Carquest that was advertised as "premium" and well... it let me down. Now with two borked modules, I'm feeling more paranoid about these parts(I already was paranoid about parts) and I feel I have to be more picky, even when it comes to higher priced "premium" junk.
If anyone has any recommendations with good history, I might buy two.

So far this one seems to have no bad reports.

Or find an older one that hasn't been used/or abused.

I would also check for outside causes of failures. Myabe something that causes a voltage spike, or a short or ?
So many times we find cars have modifications, hacks, or other things that cause them not to work like new.

Also check that the thing is not overcharging. We just had a recent war over this LOL Is the ECU mounted in the stock location? If so, it should not be particularly victim to engine heat. There is a possibility that a coil with a primary partial short could be drawing enough extra current to damage them. Might pay to replace the coil

The poor fact is, that obtaining quality parts for these is nil. Even if you get "NOS" they might be a problem with bad / deteriorating components, particularly capacitors.

Some of us use GM HEI modules, and a few guys have even gutten a Mopar box and put the GM module inside

Also check that the thing is not overcharging. We just had a recent war over this LOL Is the ECU mounted in the stock location? If so, it should not be particularly victim to engine heat. There is a possibility that a coil with a primary partial short could be drawing enough extra current to damage them. Might pay to replace the coil

The poor fact is, that obtaining quality parts for these is nil. Even if you get "NOS" they might be a problem with bad / deteriorating components, particularly capacitors.

Some of us use GM HEI modules, and a few guys have even gutten a Mopar box and put the GM module inside
The module is located in the factory position by the driver's side fender. I also installed a new coil and distributor pickup, checked the wiring, checked the pickup and at the other end of the harness. I have power going to the ICU with the key in run like I should, I believe I have ran out of things to check. I hate to call new parts bad, but it does hurt paying extra cash for "premium" and getting junk instead(has happened too often).

Lol, I'm really tempted to just convert to points.

Last edited:
I second the "Hi Rev 7500". I have one on Vixen and it runs great so far. Both Rick Ehrenberg and Jegs advertise it to be made in USA and it comes with a made in USA sticker on it. I know. It's just a sticker, but I don't think they would get by with it long if it wasn't true. Wherever it's made, it seems to be pretty good.

I second the "Hi Rev 7500". I have one on Vixen and it runs great so far. Both Rick Ehrenberg and Jegs advertise it to be made in USA and it comes with a made in USA sticker on it. I know. It's just a sticker, but I don't think they would get by with it long if it wasn't true. Wherever it's made, it seems to be pretty good.
Hopefully if i order two of them I should be fine.

Ordering the Hi Rev.
I see a lot of people saying good things about it. Also, hopefully I can get my money back on this Carqrap junk.

-
Back