Ignition module?

-

RH62

Reaction score
I have 69 plymouth that has been converted over to electronic ignition. Im getting a weak spark and the car isnt starting. I went to autozone and they have different part numbers for different years, Kragen has a similar spark control module but it only has 4 poles and not 5. the part number it has on it is 0258A14 but autozone doesnt have a cross reference for that number. Any ideas what module it needs? they tested it as if was a 74 and he said it failed...

Other than quality control issues, and the overall quality of the box, here's what should interchange:

If you have the older, 4 pin ballast and properly wired, you can use EITHER a so called 5 pin or 4 pin ECU. You can NOT tell on all boxes, because some 4 pin ECUs have a "dummy" 5th pin

If you only have a 2 pin ballast, you MUST use a 4 pin ECU

i dont know about properly wired... lol, but i have a 4 pin ballast. so that means i can use any of the modules? kragen auto has teh 4 pin one and its only 20 bucks.

dual ballast resistor needs the 5 pin, single can use either

wiring.jpg

where does the green wire go on the dual ballast?

dual ballast resistor needs the 5 pin, single can use either

Sorry buddy, you got 'er backwards

The 4 pin ECU doesn't have the 5th pin connected to anything, so it doesn't matter if the ballast is 2 or 4---

It's the ECU that determines which resistor, not the other way.

maybe i should just buy a kit that has everything together so i know what i have... you guys are starting to get me really confused... lol
i have a 4 pin ballast and 5 pin ignition module.... but im not sure how to get the right module to replace mine with because i dont know what year its from.

If you have 4 pin ballast then you need a 5 pin ECU, any 5 pin will be ok. Get one for a mid 70's whatever, they used the 5 pin... my 74 dart was 5 pin... I have heard that you can use the 4 pin ECU in the 5 pin arrangement, but I always got what was there to start with.

Sounds like the ECM is working.
The spark is produced by the coil. A weak spark can be a bad coil or not enough power supplied to it.

weak spark could also be the ballast going bad, or coil... Might check them, I know autozone had a way to check the ECU's back in the day

I thought a coil or ballist going bad was just off, like a light bulb. The ballist is working getting voltage in and out. Do coils get weak?

I thought a coil or ballist going bad was just off, like a light bulb. The ballist is working getting voltage in and out. Do coils get weak?

Coils certainly get weak, work/ no work, etc, as do ballasts. A ballast is nothing more than a wirewound resistor, that is, a coil of resistor wire imbedded in the ceramic base. On some of the older ones, you could turn them over and see where the filler was cast into a trough in the rear after the guts were inserted.

The wire can break, then make/ break, just like sometimes you can slap a light bulb and get it to work.

-
Back