ignition problems

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
I have been messing with my cuda for a few days now. It is a 66 that has been converted to electornic ignition at some point. I am using all the stock wiring and the harness that was installed for the ECU. I cannot get the engine started? I have troubleshooted all the wiring so i dont think that is the problem. I scraped to bare metal under the ECU to make a better ground. At this point i think i am going to have to start replacing components. Any suggestions?
thanks

throw the chrysler electronic ignition in the trash and put the petronix ignitor system in.Installs in minutes and always starts :snakeman:

yeah it turns over just fine i have gas to the carb also. I even put some staring fluid a couple times and not even a hiccup. One thing i am doing right now is grounding out the starter relay on the firewall because i have no way of connecting it to the neutral safety switch at this point. Is that a problem? Dont worry the drive shaft is not even connected yet.

grounding out the starter relay is no problem...just starts in every gear...

you need to get a voltmeter or test light and start seeing where you have juice and where you dont...

i used a test light to check voltage at the coil and ballast and at the ECU. I have power all the way to the ECU and and coil and ballast when key is on. I am thinking it must be the ECU? It has been in the weather a little when the hood was off.

have you checked the juice at the coil when you turn to the key to start....

mopars have two circuits...start and run..

so you are not getting any spark out of the coil?

its a 4 prong ballast resistor. I have power to both sides of the ballast with the key on. Have not tested while cranking. I have power to the coil too. with key on. Only thing i can figure is the ECU is bad?

need to test it while you crank the engine...that is the start part of the circuit....

ok finally got spark and even started the engine for half a second. I dont have any antifreeze or coolant in it right now cause its winter up here and i dont want to worry about it. The only question i have now is why the ground on the battery is smoking during cranking? Also my starter got kinda weak. I figure the starter was getting hot? What do i do about that?

One more thing i am bypassing the ammeter on the dash right now cause it does not seem to work problem?

why the ground on the battery is smoking during cranking? Also my starter got kinda weak. I figure the starter was getting hot? What do i do about that?

Smoking, hot wires and connections is ALWAYS an indication of poor connections. This simple statement can be misleading. The connection could be poor, say right at the battery post, or corrosion could have gotten inside the battery cable, making it effectively smaller. Of course the cables could just be cheap import crap, too

One more thing i am bypassing the ammeter on the dash right now cause it does not seem to work problem?

I don't understand? Are you saying you bypassed the ammeter already and now things don't work, or what?

Your battery ground is bad-clean it or get a good cable. It is why your starter is turning slow. If your stater is turning too slow your engine will not start. Check both ends of the ground cable and clean them both. Try starting it again and if it is still bad replace the cable.

ok finally got spark and even started the engine for half a second. I dont have any antifreeze or coolant in it right now cause its winter up here and i dont want to worry about it. The only question i have now is why the ground on the battery is smoking during cranking? Also my starter got kinda weak. I figure the starter was getting hot? What do i do about that?

Is the engine and body grounded real good ?? did you throw away the chrysler ignition and get the petronix setup ??

Ok now i got everything hooked up antifreeze and tranny fluid line etc. I start it up and it will not keep running by itself first of all? I heard this engine run before i bought it so i know it is good only have 400 miles on it. It does sound strong. I am wondering what that problem could be. Also the starter is getting hung up in the flywheel when i rev it. I am assuming i need a shim? Let me know what you think guys. Hey Yellow i did not change out the ignition to petronix i just hook a wire from the start side of the ballast and walah!Q. I guess the wire i thought was the coil + was not.

-
Back