ignition problems

-

sparkyct

Reaction score
which fuse handles the ignition? I'm getting nothing at the alternator, dist., or coil

The alternator wire goes straight to the amp gauge and after the amp gauge the wire has a splice of many wires that feed the fuse box,ignition switch,coil...

probably got an issue with the wiring in the bulkhead...that is the problem i chased with my 73 duster...

WTF are we workin' on here?

AS above, the ignition feed (IGN 1, or "igntion run") the ignition switch is FED UNfused power from a taped up factory splice that comes off one side of the ammeter

IF you are getting accessory power -- wipers, heater, radio, then the switch is GETTING power OK

The switch feeds IGNITION power OUT of the switch (dark blue) through the bulkhead to one side of the ballast resistor.

You say, "getting nothing"

Does it crank? Fire and die on the starter, or not?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the car is a '72 dart swinger, slant six. It turns over, everything works except ignition.

also, forgot to ask about the resistor looking thing that the neg. coil wire goes to before it goes to ground. What is it? mine's shot. does the coil still need one? Thanks

OK, so you are saying that with key in "run" you have no juice to the ignition or alternator?

Does anything on the cluster work? fuel gauge? oil light? IF so, the ignition switch and it's connector is OK

Your top suspects are

the bulkhead connector

IF the gauges/ oil light don't work, you are looking at the connector on the ignition switch or the switch itself.

Useable diagrams from My Mopar:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72DartA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72DartB.JPG

If the ballast resistor is broken, it will spark while the starter is running but die the second you let off the starter. Common problem. Most people carry a spare ballast, except those of us that changed to HEI ignition that doesn't need the old ballast. The ballast is the white ceramic rectangle on the firewall.

You really need a multimeter to measure the voltage at coil+, rel. to gnd. You can get one free at Harbor Freight with a coupon, so little excuse.

-
Back