Ignition wiring help!!!

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, sitting at dads right now,trying to fire his car up, but the engine wiring has me confused. It has elec ign. a 2 post ballast resistor and a 70-up voltage regulator. We have run the black wire with the yellow stripe to the neg side of the coil, but we cant see any wires to connect to the positive side. In the instructions for elec ign it doesnt mention anything that connects to the positive side. Can anyone help?? This is pretty much the last step before we fire it up.

Thanks
4spdragtop

Ok, sitting at dads right now,trying to fire his car up, but the engine wiring has me confused. It has elec ign. a 2 post ballast resistor and a 70-up voltage regulator. We have run the black wire with the yellow stripe to the neg side of the coil, but we cant see any wires to connect to the positive side. In the instructions for elec ign it doesnt mention anything that connects to the positive side. Can anyone help?? This is pretty much the last step before we fire it up.

Thanks
4spdragtop

Shouldn't the missing wire be part of the engine harness? 4 pin ECU - 1 wire to junction with ballast, 1 to coil, the pair with the plug to the distributor.

This help?

Ignore the labels "existing wire" and not all is shown

Your "ignition run" (dark blue) wire, the one which hooks also to the blue alternator field, the regulator "I" and the igntion system, hooks at the very top right corner of the diagram labled "existing wire."

What is not shown is your brown "bypass" which used to connect to the coil + side of the ballast resistor. This is brown, comes out of the bulkhead, and you can either hook it to the ballast or coil + terminal.

The rest of the wiring, just follow that diagram

Notice that only one wire hooks to coil neg, goes directly to the ECU. Coil neg is where you also hook your tach

Ignition_System_4pin.jpg

Thanks guys, what we have done is taken the blue wire from the alternator(2field alternator that I supplied) and ran it to the + of the coil. The blue wire has an eyelet on the end, it doesnt have a connector similar to what you need to clip to the alternator. I see a brown wire coming out of the ballast and looks like it runs to the middle part of the bulkhead.

Oh ya forgot to mention I f'n hate electrical!!

Thanks guys, what we have done is taken the blue wire from the alternator(2field alternator that I supplied) and ran it to the + of the coil. The blue wire has an eyelet on the end, it doesnt have a connector similar to what you need to clip to the alternator. I see a brown wire coming out of the ballast and looks like it runs to the middle part of the bulkhead.

Oh ya forgot to mention I f'n hate electrical!!

No, Steve, the blue from the alternator field does not go to the coil, but rather, the OTHER side of the ballast resistor, which is the "key" side.

You have "ignition run" power (dark blue) coming out of the bulkhead. This wire fees all of below:

The ignition system power, in the diagram, the right hand side of the ballast

The alternator field (blue)

The regulator "I" terminal (blue)

The ONLY wires going to the coil + should be the brown ballast bypass wire coming from the bulkhead, and the wire coming from the "down" side of the ballast

Ok, just got back and here are some pics I took. If you cant already tell, Im lost with whats going on. I tried to go prepared as much as possible.
67dart273, I printed both the 4 pin and 5 pin diagrams off, as well as other threads on electrical(which you are helpful on).
In the 1st pic you can see the brown wire connected to the ballast, then it looks like it runs to the middle section of the bulkhead(next pic). The third pic shows the blue wire(we prev wired to the alt) now connected to the + side of coil. Next pic is of the alternator(spare one I had at home). I have another alt with a single field connection if need be. We didnt power anything up yet, we wanted to be 100% certain before we went any further. So do I need to hook the blue back up to the 2nd field connection? Then maybe do I need to run another brown wire from coil to ballast?? There are 2 wires that are cut (purposely)that I discovered, you can see them in the bulkhead pic on the right most section, the green wire, and the blue wire. Part of the problem is that the Mopar Elec ign manual doesnt mention as to what goes to the + side of the coil???Sorry guys Im lost here...maybe I need to look at the service manual wiring schematic.

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• DSCF6962 (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF6965 (Medium).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCF6966 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCF6969 (Medium).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 313
The thick blue wire on the right side of the ballast in your photo (attached to brn wire) should run to coil+. Sounds like you did that.

I don't see any cut wires in your photo. That sounds strange. Better figure out what they do. With the ign sw on, you should measure ~12 V from the left side of the ballast to BATT-.

The alternator is a completely separate circuit. That is just to charge the battery, which you can do with an external charger if you are hot to trot your new engine. The open terminal should have a wire to IGN and see ~12 V whenever the ign sw is on. That should be the same as the 2 blue wires on the left side of the ballast.

Hey Bill, the thick blue wire on the ballast, doesnt go to the coil, not sure where it goes. Im going back to dads to check everything. I know I didnt show the cut ends in my pics, but if you look at the bulkhead pic, the green wire and the blue wire wrapped in elec tape(closest to drivers side) are the ones that are cut. Thanks again for the help, going to dads this afternoon and see whats up.

Steve, the two things we need are

1 The year model (I forgot!!)

2 A clear diagram of the bulkhead connector. The diagrams over at Mymopar are not clear in this regard. I have one for 66, but not sure if it's correct for your car

Here's a diagram I hope helps:

Just go wire by wire and eliminate one at a time and "connect" or "trace and confirm" that these are connected

1 Find your brown bypass coming out of the bulkhead. This needs to go directly from the bulkhead to coil+ (or the coil + side of the ballast) NOTHING ELSE is connected to coil + unless you have a radio suppression capacitor/ condenser

2 Connect the proper wire on the diagram from the ECU connector to coil NEG. NOTHING else goes there unless you have a tach

3 The two distributor leads, right from the ECU to the dist.

4 NOW find the "dark blue" ignition run coming out of the bulkhead. It is the ONLY wire that is hot with key in run. This was originally hooked EITHER to one side of the old ballast, or to the regulator

ON the diagram, this is at top right labeled "dark blue" coming out of the bulkhead. NOTICE that I show it going to a splice. THIS wire goes to several places

A the remaining terminal on the ballast (top of ballast in diagram)

B the remaining pin on the ECU (far left on the diagram)

C EDIT no, realize you have an early regulator Blue wire going to one field connection (either field)

D The "I" (IGN) terminal of the regulator,

5 If you are using the new style alternator, ground either field, hook the green up to the remaining

I'm removing the diagram, as you don't have the late regulator

EDIT removed the incorrect 66 bulkhead connector

Hey Del, just got to dads, his car is a 67. Im going to read your post and look into the manual. The pic of the 66 bulkhead is different slightly, all labels look the same except for "B". In dads manual it is "E". The 2 wires that are cut are green and brown and go into the bulkhead labelled (on your diagram) B and G.

I hate to add any confusion to this but don't forget that this car has a tachometer. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the tach wire go to the coil too?

Sounds like you got yer hands full fer now, Steve

Don't forget to post that tach!!

Well we thought we had everything hooked up right..WRONG!!! As soon as we hooked up the battery we almost had a fire, blew the f'n fusible link out of it!!

Yes its a factory tach car, so there would be a wire going to the coil. No idea what color wire or where it is. Right now trying to figure the rest of this wiring out.....

Del we went and bought a new tach...didnt want to chance it

I followed the fusible link and read the manual, it leads to the starter relay. All the wires from the relay look correct.....1 red wire to + on battery, the other red wire goes to the starter(mini starter by the way) dark wire from relay goes to solenoid on the starter. Yellow wire goes to proper spot on bulk head. Brown wire goes down to tranny for neutral safety switch. Everything looks good, but why would fusible link go???

Attachments

• DSCF6973 (Medium).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 257
Make sure the hot wire going to the mini starter isn't grounding out. If I remember right, the connection is pretty close to the block. Sometimes you have to position to get maximum clearance.

Steve,
black w/yellow tracer goes to - coil
Lt blue w/yellow tracer goes to ballast (with both sides of the ballast disconnected and the ign in the on position, the blue w/yellow wire goes to the side which is hot)
dizzy connector is obvious
the last wire green, does not get used cap and omit.
start car set timing and have fun !

I dunno; 70 up should have a blue wire to other alt field.... thing wiring is wrong I have a 70, and single wire to ballast.

Steve and I had a marathon 'phone session...................

...............Turns out.............his alternator has an internal short..................

I dunno; 70 up should have a blue wire to other alt field.... thing wiring is wrong I have a 70, and single wire to ballast.

I confused this issue earlier. He's using a 69/ earlier regulator, with a 70/ later isolated field alternator. So you ground one of the field terminals and hook up the rest as per 69/ early

On 67
ballast resistor with brown and dk/blue the dk/blue wire goes to + coil. brown goes to bulkhead then to the ign switch.
on the other side of ballast dk/blue goes to voltage regulator then green to alt field other dark blue goes to bulkhead then to ign then to dash term F on PCB which is the brake light feed.

Steve,

you can get a new pigtail or repair harness for the later model electronic voltage regulator most parts store have this in stock. omit the mechanical 67 style use the old reg green wire in the new harness connector looks like this (x - _) x = no wire - = new wire to ballast same circuit as 2x dk blue another runs (same circuit to your open field on alt. _ = green wire on old v/reg, splice it in.

-
Back