Ignition wiring help!!!

-
Well for now it looks like it was the alt!! A huge thanks to everyone, especially Del(67dart273). We cobbled(for now) a fusible link, hooked up another alternator and connected battery...and no issues...well no smoke anyway!! We are calling it a night, not going to fire it up in the dar....again!! Thanks again to everyone, but like I said Del was more than willing to help and spend lots of time on the phone!!

Thanks
Steve and George

wow man OF ALL THINGS !!!! stupid alternator. at least you got it figured out ...

we expect this thing to be RUNNING tomarrow Steve, no more excuses LOL do you have GASoline ???

Thanks guys, go figure of all the alternators, this one "looked" the best. I never would have figured it out with 67dart273 help. It was such a simple check and fix once Del told me how to do the test. I took a test light and put the clamp on the output stud(harness disconnected from stud) I then took the test end of the light and touched the + on the battery and the test light lit up. This meant there was a short to ground. The alternator had to be grounded to do this test. Maybe 67dart273 could chime in to explain the test??

Heading to dads now.

If you're running a stock coil and ballast resistor, you should have 6-9 volts at the coil + terminal when the key is in the run postion. While cranking you should have full battery voltage, nominally 12 volts.

Thanks guys, go figure of all the alternators, this one "looked" the best. I never would have figured it out with 67dart273 help. It was such a simple check and fix once Del told me how to do the test. I took a test light and put the clamp on the output stud(harness disconnected from stud) I then took the test end of the light and touched the + on the battery and the test light lit up. This meant there was a short to ground. The alternator had to be grounded to do this test. Maybe 67dart273 could chime in to explain the test??

Heading to dads now.

Steve said he hooked up the battery and the fuse link blew After some discussion, IE the car "should be in running condition" and Steve didn't change much of anything, I figured it HAD to be something Steve did.

It HAD to be a big short, large enough to blow the fuse link. So I knew he changed the alternator. Trying to think................over the phone..................??whut?? is a simple way to explain this

So I had him unhook the alternator output stud. Hook up the battery ground. Run the test light between the output stud and the battery POS, and the light COMES ON!!

That alternator has a serious internal problem, broken insulator, bad diode(s), debris fell inside and shorted, shorted stator, etc etc.

I bet'cha Steve never forgets this one!!

67Dart273,
Thanks for teaching him. Electricity is scary and confusing at first, but simple and fun once you understand a few basics, like what current and voltage mean. Nothing in our old cars is beyond what is taught in one chapter of a high school physics book.

We all wish we had sons as caring of their old dad as Steve. My boys wouldn't even glance at an engine I had the head off as they walked by. I advised them to always buy a new car with a warranty every 3 years. An expensive approach, but if one chooses to be helpless it makes sense.

How I imagine Steve felt after this weekend

tired-baby.jpg

LOL Del, thats a great pic. Something as easy as a bad alternator can cause huge issues(nearly a fire). With a quick phonecall to 67dart273 we had the issue figured out within 5-10 minutes. Thanks Del, I tried calling you tonight but no answer(call display maybe??? LOL)

Ya know what almost everything I know about cars I have my dad to thank for. Yep I f'd up as a young'un, they all do, but I still wanted to learn about cars. The hard part is I think dad has forgotten more than I will remember or learn and it is tough seeing him forget things.
Bill I thank you for your kind words, although me and my kids have had our differences, my oldest has realized that my dad is not well and wants to spend time with him and I. It feels nice, I just gotta learn patience. Although dads project is a fairly easy one really, it has tested my patience and I am sorry that dad had to see that. I just want dad in the seat and enjoying his car.

Thanks again everyone!!

Steve and George

I left my phone in the night stand. Not sure when to call you IE your sked. If you want call me back, I'm on Pacific Daylight time, and up until 11 PM usually.

Glad you got 'er fired.

I had a 75 mercury cougar do the same thing. Had replaced the alt and two weeks later the alt shorted. I had no idea what was happening. I was a lot less knowledgable about electric then. Took several fuse links till i got it. Glad to hear you guys figured it out.

-
Back