im gettin tired of my car

-

71dodge

ADDICTED.
Reaction score
was workin on my car and it seems like every time i do somthing good to it somthing bad happens i think i want a new project but it will break my heart to see it go i dont know im just mad i guess i want a 68 dart lol good luck gettin one of those cheap i dont know i debating on weather to sell it i just dont have the money or time to give the car im only 15 and this is a PROJECT. almost every thing on the car needs to be replaced adn its hard to buy stuff with no job i just want somthing in better shape but im not sure who knows? i am always changing my mind oh well just lettin off steam you know i wonder how much i could get parting it it has the original 8 3/4 disk brakes in the front it ia a A/C cr it has many options but ???????

Give the car to me....LOL Keep the car do as much work as you can do on it yourself.Then later on sell it and buy that 68 Dart.A 71 Dart is still a real good year and sounds like you have a V8 car to start with.

Jim

I say get whatever car you know you really want and then stick with it. If you really want a 68 Dart, then go looking for one. They are out there. There was one here in Omaha a couple months ago that only needed assembled. It had a 383, frame connectors, mini-tubbed, and I think it might have even had a cage. I think the guy was only asking $2800 or something like that. I almost bought it just to put it together to try and make some money on. Point is, don't invest a lot of money and time into a project you don't really want. I put very little money into my 71 Duster even though it was a 440 w/ 4-speed and Dana. Before I sold the car I pulled the Dana and the 4-speed for building the car I've always wanted to build; a 65 Barracuda w/ 440, 4-speed, and Dana. The Duster was all done except for body work and paint, but what good is throwing money at a project that you don't really want. However, don't expect to get good money for a non-complete project that you are trying to dump to get your dream car. I think I only got $3500 for my Duster and it was a running 440, auto w/manual vavle body, a-body 8 3/4 w/ 742 case 3.55 posi, sub-frame connectors, and 6 pt cage with only some rust in the quarters.

ya im still thinkin about it and actully my car was a slant 6 car from the factory i was dropping a 318 in it i still might just need alot of $$$$$$$

oh this car is not incomplete there is every single piece here to assemble the car with the 318 a 340 k frame 904 tranny a new roof headers etc i have been savin up parts for a while

I'm 15 and I have a 1974 Plymouth Scamp. I don't have the money for it but my dad agreed to pay for it as long as I pay him back. (mostly by getting good grades and lettering in sports)

You should keep working at it. It will feel pretty awesome to drive it around. If you do happen to find a 68 Dart you should try and get it if you feel you could get it and get the 71 Dart out of there but until then keep working on your Dart. Just take stuff apart and have it ready until you can buy the parts you need.

ya thats what im doin i drove it with the old slant in it and it was cool and my dad paid for the car and was givin to me as a gift so other than the price of the car i havepaid for every thing else sofar the car has 3500 in it and i have a 1000 into parts so my dad paid 2500 for it

From what i can see in the pics. It don't look to bad, there just getting harder to find, The disc.brakes and rearend are a big plus, i think you should keep it, If you could put it on the the backburner til you can afford to fix it.Tell all your family you won't money for xmas birthday so youn can put it in the car. I had a 67 dart gt 273 when i was 16, sold it because it had so many problems, Took me 25 years before i could get another dart, and it's a 71 not a 67 . If i had only new then i would have left it at my moms til i had the money to put in it

ya i hear ya i know there hard to find like mine with all the options i might keep it dont see why i would sell it

your going to regret selling it later on, I can guarentee it. My opinion would be to keep on the 71, just save up some cash and slowly buy parts. I know It sucks waiting but in the end its worth it. disc brakes, 8.75 rear and a decent complete car are a huge plus. Nothing wrong at all with a 71 dart either, they are nice looking cars.

ya alright i think u guys talked me into keeping it

Keep it for now Dylan, Just do a little everyday and it will get done. You have time on your side. And the FABO family. 8)

If I was closer I would help out daily. Maybe one of these days we can hook up for a work session. Keep trying to sell stuff you dont want/need to finance the project.

Yep bean there las winter ask anyone here my 69 Dart pissed me off so many times I was ready to through in the towell,but with the great advice and help here I stuck with it .now i have a rock sound car.Stay with it you owe it to you car.

I'm guessing you are in your twenties and don't have too much patience.Hang in there you got a nice project going.It may take more time than you want it to,they allways do,but stick with it.You'll be glad you did.Check this thread and maybe pm the member for some support.8)
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=76929
Our friend 71dodge is a young gun. High School, and very cool. I met him and his family last weekend to score some rocker trim molding. We just have to help him keep motivated with this project.

i wouldnt sell it if i were you, but if you really want a 68 dart, then thats what you want, start looking

I'm 18 and in college full time(Mechanical engineering) And My parts collecting is going pretty slow.. I'm almost to the point where I can start doing stuff.. I've been collecting since I was 15. So yeah. It can be slow at times! But Its totally worth it! Hopefully I'll be driving it before I'm 20! lol! Do a little bit at a time and it will surprise you how much you get done. It helps if you have a "to do list" and then check off stuff as you do it. It helps you see that your making progress even when you feel like its not going anywhere. A rendering also helps keep you motivated because you have a vision of what your working towards. Hope this helps!

Benjamin

Our friend 71dodge is a young gun. High School, and very cool. I met him and his family last weekend to score some rocker trim molding. We just have to help him keep motivated with this project.

I think he's getting some positive feedback.Great post by bjkadron,good to hear from someone his age.

Hang in there young'n. Just having the car in your driveway is more progress than a lot of folks ever make. I'm an old fart with a dependable income, but because of family and other obligations it took me almost 2 years to get to the point that I could buy the radiator you put up for sale. I'd still be waiting if you hadn't made it so affordable. I've been waiting 43 years to have "my" '66 Valiant and with the help of folks like you here on FABO the end is coming into sight. Now if somebody doesn't move the ends on me.........

I will tell you to sell it. If you're creating threads like this it's obvious that you aren't totally into it. Don't spend any more money on the car, get rid of it.

Either that or straighten up young blood. Us younger guys need to keep this thing alive. Worst that happens is you cover it up and save it for later, but you have to be sure you wanna keep going with it first. If you aren't 100 percent sure, than you really do need to sell the thing.

Got a '60 Plymouth Sport Satellite with a 383 4bbl factory that I drove when I was 16. It's close to 22 years later and I've yet to turn wrench one on it to tear it down for restoration. Other things in life have come: career, family of my own. Some have gone: business, relationships, friends, family, other cars. Through the years it's been a comforting fact that car is still there. I can look at it and know the good times I had with it and the stories to share with others (remind me later to tell you how my old man with the car loaded with five adults and a pre-teen chased down a Mach 1 at will). It's comforting to know that no matter how bad things get my dream of making new memories with the most important person in my life, my wife, will come true with that car.
We all get discouraged. I've restored a lot of cars over the years. None of 'em even mine. There are set backs (wrecking a '57 Dodge coming out of the booth is one that I can almost not cringe at now) that will make you sick. Time seems to disappear when you pay attention to the details: spending sixty hours just polishing stainless steel trim for a '57 Chevy makes you wonder what you've accomplished. But there are the very highs: the first drive of a car that you've just poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into. That's the goal to work for.
Set small goals. Accomplish each goal. Set even smaller goals with those goals if you have to. At the end of each goal you'll feel better about the project and about yourself.
No matter what you decide that '71 Dodge will always be with you.

-
Back