I'm not totally on board with this.

-

64 AAR Valiant

ODD DUCK
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Then again , I don't blame the guy who agreed to the transplant.
And can we please leave the religious and political comments at the curb.:thankyou:

MIT Technology Review

Subscribe

MIT Technology Review

Subscribe

BIOTECHNOLOGY

A gene-edited pig’s heart has been transplanted into a human for the first time

The procedure is a one-off, and highly experimental, but the technique could help reduce transplant waiting lists in the future.

By Charlotte Jeearchive page

January 11, 2022

Surgeons operate on Bennett in the procedure on January 7UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND

The news: A pig’s heart has been transplanted into a human being for the first time. A man with terminal heart disease named David Bennett Sr received a transplant of a genetically-modified pig heart during an eight-hour operation on Friday January 7 at the University of Maryland Medical Center, which issued a statement last night. The operation was a last-ditch attempt to recover on the part of Bennett, 57, who had been deemed ineligible for a conventional heart transplant. He had been in hospital for more than six weeks prior to the procedure with life-threatening arrhythmia. “It was either die or do this transplant,” he said in the press statement. “I want to live. I know it’s a shot in the dark, but it’s my last choice.”

Surgeon Bartley P. Griffith, left, and patient, David Bennett

The technique: Ten genes in the donor pig were altered before the transplant could take place. Three of these genes are responsible for the rejection of pig organs for humans, so these were knocked out. Six genes were inserted to help control immune acceptance of the pig heart, and one additional gene was knocked out to stop excessive growth of the pig heart tissue.

The Maryland team also used a new experimental drug to suppress the immune system and prevent rejection, and a new machine that pushed fluid through the tissue to make sure the pig’s heart remained viable until the procedure. The FDA gave emergency go ahead for the procedure on New Year’s Eve, according to the New York Times.

Related Story

A CRISPR startup is testing pig organs in monkeys to see if they’re safe for us

Gene-editing company eGenesis is now carrying out experiments to help solve a critical shortage of human organs available for transplant.

What’s next: The demand for organs is vast, with nearly 107,000 people on the US transplant waiting list, 17 of whom die every day, according to the Health Resources and Services Administration, a federal agency.

Early results look promising for Bennett, who is expected to come off the heart-lung bypass machine he’d been relying on to keep him alive today (January 11.) He will be very closely monitored over the coming days and weeks for any signs of rejection or infection.

New frontier: While xenotransplantation, the process of transplanting animal organs or tissues into humans, has a long and often unsuccessful history, new gene-editing technologies are making it more viable. The gene-edited pig in last week’s operation was supplied by Revivicor, one of several biotech companies working to develop pig organs to transplant into humans.

Revivicor was also behind a successful transplantation of a pig’s kidney into a human patient last October, which was a major milestone in proving the viability of its techniques. As well as Revivicor, Harvard scientist George Church cofounded a company, eGensisis, that is working on using CRISPR gene-editing to make animal organs viable for human transplant, although his ambitious proposed timescale has fallen by the wayside.

Nature always wins. It always a balance between those living and the deceased. It's an example of testing that theory. I'm surprised it took this long for the experiment....

JW

I learned back in high school from my Ag teacher that pig organs are very close in size to human organs. If pig organ transplants work, think of all the lives it could save. They have been using pig and cow valves for replacements for some time now.

My wife was diagnosed 11years ago with Stage 4 incurable cancer, if not the fact that we had access to a world renowned cancer facility she'd be long gone
Next week we find out if she needs yet another surgery to remove a tumour growing into her colon
She has been cut open so many times ive lost count
If there was a organ from a harvested animal that could cure her we'd take it in a second

Interesting to say the least. One part of the article talks about experimenting with pig organs in monkeys to see if they are a fit for humans. If monkeys are supposed to be so closely related to humans, why not use monkey organs?

On a side note, my cardiologist said if my aortic root and valve need fixed in 6 years, a pig's valve is an option.

I believe they've been using pig's aortas for some time.

This is just the first time a whole heart was used.

Interesting to say the least. One part of the article talks about experimenting with pig organs in monkeys to see if they are a fit for humans. If monkeys are supposed to be so closely related to humans, why not use monkey organs?

On a side note, my cardiologist said if my aortic root and valve need fixed in 6 years, a pig's valve is an option.

They have been using pig valves for years.
Fairly common.
I had an Aunt they did one for at 75, 12 years later when she passed the valve wasn't the reason.
My sister had one replaced 8 years ago. Still going.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Anyone read the sci-fi short story about transplanting dolphin's brain into a human?

When it is time to go, it's time to go. Seen it with my mother and father. I don't want to live through all that.

Natural tissue valves (pig or cow) usually last 10-15 years. Sometimes less, sometimes more. If you need a valve replaced, or in my case repaired, but if the repair doesn't work, you have a option to get a mechanical valve or a animal valve. Depending on your age you may decide on a natural valve over a mechanical. I had my mitral valve repaired but I had to decide which valve I wanted in case the repair did not work. I chose the tissue valve because it is quiet and you don't have to take anti coagulant drugs for the rest of your life. At 65 if the valve only lasted 10 years, the Dr. assured me that they would be able to replace it through the groin vein as a fairly simple surgery. "we are that close" were his exact words. My repair worked and I am on a baby aspirin a day and Metoprolol to slow my heart rate down.

I thought it was Kind of Funny that Einstein Hospital in Philadelphia was the go to hospital for Pig valve replacements. When they first started using them.
Mostly Jewish Hospital back then.

I would’ve done it in a heartbeat.

EE293FBF-6614-4575-B666-D213D6FEC8BC.jpeg

I like it. Weaponizing an animal virus is one thing, but using harvested organs is fine by me. Wait till they start giving soldiers the baboon genes for muscle growth. I watched one tear a rear view mirror off an International 1T truck door and the sucker was only 3 feet tall. Remember the ear that they grew on the back of a mouse?
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd.newsweek.com%2Fen%2Ffull%2F666345%2Fmouse.jpg

-
Back