Im so nervous

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
A lot of members are telling me to relax but its harder than everyone says. Anyone wanna go interview for me. Ill pay you!!! I have an interview with the Port Authority of NY and NJ tomorrow morning in Manhattan. Ive studied so much, prepped, dressed to impress, and still my heart wont calm down....well im off to go for a walk. If anyone wants to leave some comments and maybe some advice to help a young gun like me out I would REALLY appreciate it. Be back soon......

-Joe

Just relax and be yourself. Employers want to see that your a person. Many can see through people who aren't being their selves. Take deep breaths and you will be fine. Good Luck!

Just do what you always do and try not to worry about it.

I look at interviews as an opportunity to show the employer why they would be crazy not to hire me.

When they ask me a question that stumps me for a second, which is rare, I like to reply that their question was a very good question, that way it gives me a few seconds to contemplate my answer and keeps there from being any awkward pauses.

Good luck you.

You can admit to the interviewer that you are nervous, because you are excited about the prospect of obtaining this job....and it is true, right? That may put both of you at ease. A bit of humor and a bit of laughter helps too.

keep your answers short and to the point
and be polite,
these two rules will take you far

Firm handshake, look them in the eye. Try to mimic their body language at the interview,(unless they pick their nose) I've heard its a self conscious thing(body language, not the nose pickin') Good luck!!

The one thing that helped me when I was in basic training was to think "they can't kill me", they being my DI nad by can't I mean not legaly. lol

thanks for the help guys. I like the idea of trying to convince them why they shouldnt hire me.

Breathe, smile. The interviewer is just another human being. If asked for words to decribe yourself, 'energetic' is a good one, they want someone productive. Make sure you have his address, write a note on quality stationary thanking him for the interview and expessing your enthusiasm for the job. If it's meant to be you'll get the job.

turn the tides, or put it on a fair mindset. Ask them questions, seem interested. Look at it as an opportunity to explore why you might want to (or not want to) work there. really dig as much info out of it as you can. remember its a learning opportunity for you both.

be a curious version of yourself.
and kill it! :rr:

First of all GO TO SLEEP RIGHT NOW.
Get there early,and you can do it.You are the best applicant they have talk to.......
Positive attitude rules....
Nothing can stop you....
TXDart

Confidant,but not cocky. First of all,you need to think you are the best person for the job. Then you can convince them you are. Good luck!!

You will do fine. You can't be 100% calm, that won't ever happen unless you don't give a crap about the job. but you do give a crap about the job, so just go there and be calm cool and collected. You can be a bit nervous but don't get too nervous. just be yourself and you should have a good chance at getting the job.

Joe,
Good Luck! Job or no job, we're still here for you! :toothy7:
You've already gotten some great advice from the other guys.

I'll add:
-Be respectful. It is "Yes" not "Yeah" or "Yup".
-Try to avoid saying "Ummm" or "Like".
-Don't cross your arms. It is a sign of being closed to the discussion.
-Ask questions. Focus on how the job meets your requirements, not the other way around.

In communication, only 7% of the message is what is spoken...

...93% is body language and tone of voice (how it is spoken).

Makes me wonder about texting...

burg

Well thats it, its over! Whewwww thank god thats done. Pretty intimidating but i prevailed. Tried act as cool calm and collected as possible. Answered all questions looking in the eye, the firm hand shake, thanked them for their time, and hoped to be hearing from them in the near future. I felt pretty good coming out of it. One thing i would change is the first 5 minutes they caught me off guard. Kind of told me that I will be doing all the talking and letting them know things. I did my best and went with it. Did my best not to pause, say "uhmm" or anything of that nature. I actually got so nervous my throat dried up and I could not swallow. They almost paused the interview to get me some water. I tough it out and finished strong. I finally had some positive interaction with one of the big bosses in charge of the whole security detail for port authority tunnels and bridges. He told me about the type of show they run and what I would be involved in if i get chosen. Well Im off to go fill out more job applications because this experience has me hungry for another interview. Possibly with another agency.

Thanks guys!

EXCELLENT! You go gettem dude! You were given some really good advice by many members. Hats off to those replies guys! Realllly good answers and advice.

Good luck with that stuff Joe.

-
Back