I'm sure this has been asked before, mechanic precautions

-

kiss

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My original post is here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=296681
I have found a mechanic to do the engine swap (slant6 to 360) on my 71 Dart. I'm wondering what things I should do to protect myself during this.

The deal is they're finding the 360/727, having it rebuilt, putting it in the car, exhaust/driveline etc. I've never had a mechanic do this amount of work to my car. Should I write a contract or something for both of us to sign, guarantee a warranty, etc?

I'm sure these types of questions have been asked before, but I didn't have any luck using the search function and finding it. I definitely don't want to get screwed over on someone that's going to cost a few grand.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

............I'd get it in writing.....but when doing a swap from 1 engine family to another there is always problems and other minor incidentials that add up big time.....have he/they ever did this kind of a swap?.if he is not a mopar mechanic, look else where..........kim...........

plus educate yourself--- there are threads on this site detailing the struggles swapping from a slant--- Good luck ,lawrence

it is so easy to do , it would be great to see you save yourself thousands of dollars and just do it yourself.

I did this not too long ago and have literally right at 1,000 bucks in it including the engine and transmission.

The deal is they're finding the 360/727, having it rebuilt, putting it in the car, exhaust/driveline etc. I've never had a mechanic do this amount of work to my car. Should I write a contract or something for both of us to sign, guarantee a warranty, etc?

I'm sure these types of questions have been asked before, but I didn't have any luck using the search function and finding it. I definitely don't want to get screwed over on someone that's going to cost a few grand.

Not being nosy, but how much is a few grand?

At the very least, I would ask them for a plan, in order and in writing. Cost of materials, what they intend to do to the engine, how they plan on installing it (conversion mounts or a K frame swap). Same on the trans. Ask them to break it down, cost of engine build, cost of trans build and the cost to do the swap.

In other words you will be testing their knowledge in doing this swap without them really knowing it.

If it's a reputable shop you'll probably be OK, or they may see a money tree in front of them and take advantage of you.

Once you have that come back to this thread and update it. You can get some much better answers that way, along with some pointers of things they are adding which aren't necessary or some things they are missing.

wow! I would want to know everything and make it all in writing. they are finding you the engine/ trans. having it rebuilt? rebuilt with what? machine shop work can run from here to there, depending on the condition of your core. what brand parts? rebuild trans? new convertor? what stall? new oil pump? dist? alternator? belts? hoses? carb?
and like he said, get yourself familiar with what the engine swap entails, and ask them good questions! you don't need pro chevy builders, ya need mopar builders.

and like he said. not hard to swap engines and save yourself a lot of $$$. I would find out the name of the machine shop, and GO there when your core arrives and findout the condition of this CORE!????

knowledge on your part, will be a good defence. lets hope these are honest, knowledge, good people. there are a few left in this world.

wow! I would want to know everything and make it all in writing. they are finding you the engine/ trans. having it rebuilt? rebuilt with what? machine shop work can run from here to there, depending on the condition of your core. what brand parts? rebuild trans? new convertor? what stall? new oil pump? dist? alternator? belts? hoses? carb?
and like he said, get yourself familiar with what the engine swap entails, and ask them good questions! you don't need pro chevy builders, ya need mopar builders.

and like he said. not hard to swap engines and save yourself a lot of $$$. I would find out the name of the machine shop, and GO there when your core arrives and findout the condition of this CORE!????

knowledge on your part, will be a good defence. lets hope these are honest, knowledge, good people. there are a few left in this world.

I have to agree with this, as it's hard to imagine it going well with everything going on the way it is out there today.
They could slap anything that just runs in there and call it whatever they want.
I/we cannot emphasize enough that you need a written documented plan agreed on by both parties.

like:
What block being used.
What is the original condition of the engine.
Every bit of machine work planned and costs.
Every part going into it, and it's cost to you.

It is very tempting to cut corners when costs get high and your shop is going to start loosing money.
If they hesitate AT ALL to be totally up front with information on a plan or WRITTEN documentation run.

"We'll take care of you" doesn't cut it.
"Don't worry, we'll do it right just trust us" doesn't cut it.

They don't get a dime until this is all settled.
If it's too much trouble for them to do this, or they say anything like, "well we are a little busy but I'll get that paperwork to you as soon as I can" RUN.

I don't know what state you live in, but check your state laws for recovering a vehicle from a shop.
In CA they cannot by law keep your car for any reason.
They can sue if you take it and they feel shorted, but cannot keep you from taking it at ANY time.

Some states they can keep it if they feel they are not getting what they want out of the job.
This is a VERY easy way to take a car from someone, as all they have to do is claim some rediculous price that you won't pay, and thats it.
Your car is gone.

How long has he been a mechanic?
What satisfaction ratings, if any, does the mechanic have?
What is his niche?
Will he provide a preliminary written estimate?
What are the mechanic's contingencies and concerns?

Maybe someone with Mopar experience from this site is near your area that can help you.

Thanks for the awesome replies! Here's some more info:

First, my situation. If you guys saw in my original post I live in an apartment in San Diego, CA. I have no room what-so-ever to do an engine swap. I need to pay someone to do it. it totally sucks, I am confident enough to do it myself, but this is the crossroads that i'm at. Sell the car or engine swap. I do not know anyone willing to do this at their house. Again, this sucks, i'm literally at the crossroads I described above.

The shop's name is Harold's Automotive, it's in La Mesa if you want to google search it.. I have had them do a few minor things since I moved here. They have done a great job. I talked with them several months ago when I needed the reverse band replaced in the transmission about doing engine swaps, and they do them. They have a variety of cars they do that on. That's really all I know.

Thank you for the advice in CA they can't hold your car, that's comforting.

I'm aware of the incidentals that nickel-and-dime. I have most of some of them covered. For instance I have a mini starter and a higher amp alternator currently on the slant6, so those can be swapped over. I will also be purchasing directly the conversion mounts, a distributor, spark plug wires, intake manifold, and carburetor.

As far as the engine, this is a reason why i'm doing a stock rebuild. Keep it simple sort of a thing (with new intake/carb/distributor).

At this current time the engine is still being looked for. The 727 has been found. Once the 360 and 727 have been evaluated we will go from there. I think this would be a great time to get everything in writing. I will post here after this meeting and let everyone know what happened.

I can't thank you guys enough. It's nerve wracking paying someone else to do this kind of work on my car. All the previous work i've done on it myself, before I moved into an apartment.

I Live in vista ca. near you. pm me if you want to see my 1966 dart almost completed restomod. Matbe I can help you out with yours

Good news everyone, I have found a friend of the family willing to take this on. I will have to be without the car for a few months but that's okay!

The project moves forward!

Good news everyone, I have found a friend of the family willing to take this on. I will have to be without the car for a few months but that's okay!

The project moves forward!
that's great ! Reading through this thread was bringing a flood of red flags ! Beyond the motor and transmission - the radiator, the breaks, that poor little 7 1/4 rearend ?

im in the middle of this swap with a 71 duster
im almost done building the 360 and the /6 is ready to come out

ive found that once you get going its pretty straightforward

Working on an old car is like a big version of Legos. Did you make other kids build Legos for you?

Working on an old car is like a big version of Legos. Did you make other kids build Legos for you?

He has no shop space, R3.
But you are correct-it's not that hard, and participating is 90% of the satisfaction.
For the OP...if you've found a family member willing to take it on, I STRONGLY suggest you be there on a daily basis helping and being involved if at all possible...and buy the pizza and beer, for cryin' out loud!
Won't be long before wives/family members start bitching about time spent and the guy himself starts resenting it.
If it were me, I'd show up with the beer and pizza and ask "Where do I start...show me what to do!"
I watched my son change a clutch on an Explorer in the dead of Illinois winter....days and days in sub-zero temps....for a friend because he had no money and "didn't know how". All he did was hold the light for my son, and in the end, he still doesn't know jack-s**t about his own car.
"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime"
Old Japanese proverb

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime"
Old Japanese proverb

that makes no sense
why would the old Japanese people tell proverbs in English?

looks at it this way, if you can laugh at monthy python you can get my sense of humor

Never got into it....but funny is funny, regardless of where it comes from.

If I said it was an old English proverb, ya wouldn't have believed me.
We don't think of **** like that.....

I think the English proverb says
"build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night but light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

-
Back