I'm thinking I put too small a cam in my 360 Magnum...

-
Unknown cam/installation is a gamble. If you're not willing to run it first then get a properly selected cam installed. You will be limited by compression which is I think 9:1 at best.

you have the gears and stall for the cam, but with that compression and that much carb it's probably going to be a little lazy till it wakes up and gets cookin'

It’s hard to find information on fireball cams.

A buddy of mine had one in a 70 340 dart, stock except the 850 holley and headers. Not sure which fireball it was but it flew, way better than the 500 lift 302 duration generic cam that was previously in it.

If you stay under 150 nos, those cast pistons will last for a while, but increase the ring gaps just to be cautious.

Unknown cam/installation is a gamble. If you're not willing to run it first then get a properly selected cam installed. You will be limited by compression which is I think 9:1 at best.
It was degreed to verify lift, valve clearance, and LSA only

Interesting that you said 9:1 at best, has anyone actually measured the CR
Of a stock magnum, pistons 60 down in the hole ?

you have the gears and stall for the cam, but with that compression and that much carb it's probably going to be a little lazy till it wakes up and gets cookin'
That's why the 750 Holley is , a vacuum secondary. I have the assorted vacuum springs kit so I can really dial it in
A Thermoquad with an adapter wouldn't fit under my hood...for now

Good luck getting it to hook with 7" wide slicks, you will most likely spin to half track or further.

With the goals in mind, it’s not going to be an issue if you’re spraying it. Traction is going to probably be the limiting factor, so if the cam bleeds off some dynamic cylinder pressure, it will probably help more than hurt. It’s plenty of cam for the application. What’s the installed ICL? I’m guessing 216/222 @ .050 going by crane’s typical lobe profile.
For comparison purposes, my old Crane cam was 272/284 - 216/228 - .454/.480 - 112.

Summit's web site says that cam is not in stock.
Sorry, but that is super funny since Crane has been out of biz for a very long time. Of course it’s not in stock.
Rhoades fast bleed down lifters. Yeah, it’ll sound like it’s got a solid lifter cam in it then, though.
I have run them. They do what they say. Sound like a solid cam???
IDK about that.
I’d probably go with this one, then. I definitely wouldn’t want to wait for them to grind one to get to me. This wouldn’t need the Rhoades fast bleed lifters, either. The only issue may be the close to .540 lift with the magnum 1.6 rocker arms.
Howards, Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft, Chrysler SB 273-360, 220/220 @ .050, .506/.506, 108 LS - Competition Products

I have this exact cam with there lifters on deck to be installed in my 5.9 with the Hughes valve springs from PAC, RPM intake/750 & Hooker 1-3/4 super comp headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust. 727 with a basic shift kit w/2500 stall, 3.55’s in 245/60/15’s.

A stock converter would be OK, not great. The 3.91’s help in a big way. Might not even notice the lack of converter to much. Even more so with the small tire.

Last edited:
The cam I was referring to was the Howard's cam that was recommended by Garrett Ellison in post #9. You know - the post I quoted in my response.

Whooooopssss!!!

LMAO, thanks for the correction.

And goodluck getting a 235/60/14 to hook behind 500hp.
Exactly; without traction aide, those will be roasting still at the Eighth mile., probably even on just motor, lol. Try to keep it straight..........

I've been running a 276/286/110 Hydro with .549/571 lift, on the street, since 2004. with OOTB Edelbrocks, that thing is still pulling at 7000.
She went 93 in the Eighth at 3457 pounds at 900 ft .
I think she trapped at 6150; well the tach was still reading 7000, since right out of the gate. Track official says the tires were still hazing at the lights,
325/50-15 BFG-DRs. Airport runway lol. 2.4x on the 60 ft.

I put those 235s on the front, cuz they're pretty good stoppers. and 245s rub on everything.
I think 255s is all the rear tubs will accept and you gotta center them.
Ima thinking Caltracs
--------------------------------------------
I got a story for ya.
At age 17, I bought a nearly new 1970 Swinger340 in late summer of that year. It was a 4-gear with 3.55s. The tires were like new on it.
By summers end 4 years later, she was on her Second Engine, second Trans, second rear-end, second alternator, third starter, and TEN tires were on the scrap heap, and the four on the car were bald again.
Without exception, that car was the most evil-handling car I ever owned.
On the Factory E70-14 Polyglass tires, that car regularly changed lanes with little more than a blip of the throttle; those tires were like driving on ice.
I think radials came out in 1972 IIRC, and man I couldn't wait to try those.
and man was I disappointed, so I burned those off in a few weeks, then got some G60 Radials on wider wheels. Still sucked. So I got me some custom -made slapper bars, which actually worked pretty good in a straight line, but helped nothing in the turns. I learned to be a trick rider, doing 360s in the middle of the corners, cuz the tires just let go.. But the learning curve was hard.
In 1970 I was going into grade ten. and there was NO shortage of passengers willing to ride with me. A year later, By grade 11, I had the well-deserved nick-name of "ditcher", and the only guy that would still ride with me was my younger brother.
He died about 4 years ago, but before he went, he told me some hair-raising stories, none of which I remembered, cuz to me, those stories were just everyday life in that car.
I loved that car dearly, but at age 23, I had my sights set on getting a wife. and that car was not gonna be of any help.
So I sold it.

Last edited:
Magnum hypereutectic pistons
Thanks
Then the ring gap becomes even more critical. Hyper pistons expand at a greater rate than cast pistons and require larger ring gaps. Add nitrous to the equation and you need even more gap. Probably .030" or more.

Then the ring gap becomes even more critical. Hyper pistons expand at a greater rate than cast pistons and require larger ring gaps. Add nitrous to the equation and you need even more gap. Probably .030" or more.

It's on their site, small print .

Exactly; without traction aide, those will be roasting still at the Eighth mile., probably even on just motor, lol. Try to keep it straight..........

I've been running a 276/286/10 Hydro with .549/571 lift, on the street, since 2004. with OOTB Edelbrocks, that thing is still pulling at 7000.
I think she trapped at 6150, well the tach was still reading 7000, since right out of the gate. Track official says the tires were still hazing at the lights,

I put those 235s on the front, cuz they're pretty good stoppers. and 245s rub on everything.
235 on the front, do you have aftermarket upper control arms ?

I've been running a 276/286/10 Hydro with .549/571 lift, on the street, since 2004. with OOTB Edelbrocks, that thing is still pulling at 7000.
I think she trapped at 6150, well the tach was still reading 7000, since right out of the gate. Track official says the tires were still hazing at the lights,

You gotta get rid of those tires AJ! Garbage track tires. I can spin those bologna skins with a /6!

235 on the front, do you have aftermarket upper control arms ?
No sir, stock 1968 arms. But I had to clip the fenders at the bottom front, about an inch wide and an inch and a half tall. I made the trims a lil bigger than they needed to be, cuz I drive a lil crazy sometimes. lol. Not all four wheel are always on the ground and sometimes none are.

Last edited:
No sir, stock 1968 arms. But I had to clip the fenders at the bottom front, about an inch wire and an inch and a half tall. I made the trims a lil bigger than they needed to be, cuz I drive a lil crazy sometimes. lol. Not all four wheel are always on the ground and sometimes none are.
I was wondering, I was told that 225 were the best hope with upper arm offset bushings, I erred on the side of caution and got 215 even tho I did the offset bushings

-
Back