impact of modern muscle cars on the old car market

-
Very valid points Khalid. I just took a stroll thru the salvage yards in Dallas this weekend. Shook my head at all the 10-15 year old cars in there and said, "they all end up here" . I look at comnercials for the latest wundercar the manufacturers are trying to sell, and say well in 10-15 years it will end up in the junkyard. Had a co worker i nicknamed fast n furious. He had a lancer evo with the turbo awd setup. Nice car stock IMHO. But as he tried to FnF it, the weak links in the chain started to break. Plus he had to have his "mechanic" do the work as he wasnt capable, and blew the warranty by ******* with it. This was the same guy who thought my 67 barracuda weighed 4,000 lbs LOL.

Very valid points Khalid. I just took a stroll thru the salvage yards in Dallas this weekend. Shook my head at all the 10-15 year old cars in there and said, "they all end up here" . I look at comnercials for the latest wundercar the manufacturers are trying to sell, and say well in 10-15 years it will end up in the junkyard. Had a co worker i nicknamed fast n furious. He had a lancer evo with the turbo awd setup. Nice car stock IMHO. But as he tried to FnF it, the weak links in the chain started to break. Plus he had to have his "mechanic" do the work as he wasnt capable, and blew the warranty by ******* with it. This was the same guy who thought my 67 barracuda weighed 4,000 lbs LOL.

That sounds like basically everyone my age LOL... all these new cars are designed to be junked after 10 years. Trying to keep our 2005 Passat with 210k on the road hasn't been straightforward, the parts that wear out and the way that they wear is so different compared to conventional old-school '60s-'80s vehicles. I remember the trans shift solenoid went out and left the car undrivable, all it did was sense electronically which gear the shift lever was in, even though there's a frickin cable also going between the two... like WTF do you need that for?? Of course it wasn't cheap or easy to find the part either, and was a royal pain to figure out!

The funniest part is the guy is an aircraft mechanic like me. Oh and he also said a 400 hp small block in my cuda wouldent be fast enough lol. I guess he's never been in an old muscle car before. He must have became illusioned by the FnF movies. He even thought the stunt car used in tokyo drift used a nissan engine to make it a drift car. I showed him an article where Rhys Millen used a 430 inch windsor ford V8 and a toploader in the mustang stunt car for drift stunts, and dubbed in the nissan skyline sounds. All movie magic. His response was that the skyline engine was to valuable to damage. I laughed my *** off, shook my head at his absurdity, told him his car would be in the junkyard in 10-15 years after he tires of dumping money in it and sells it to owner #2

Last edited:
I see tons of people on various boards selling off their old stuff to get into modern muscle. At some point guys get older and either can’t or don’t feel like doing constant upkeep or they are just afraid to drive the old cars or leave them in s parking lot somewhere. Theres many other reasons guys get out of their old muscle too.

Want to see how modern muscle effects the market just go to Chrysler’s at carlisle. They are breaking attendance records every year and it’s not more old cars showing up. It’s tons of modern muscle showing up.

Kinda hard to justify messing with these old rust buckets with modern muscle sitting right there that out performs most of the old stuff in every imaginable way. And that modern muscle is cheaper in many cases, has a warranty, creature comforts and performance out the ***.

Personally I’d love to sell out and pick up a new/newer mustang. Hell new Camaro has been catching my eye lately too.

On a side note: Looking at new Challengers, Jeeps and 300's does nothing for me. Just like a picture of a nude man........Keep them parked far away on the hill! I noticed the past few years there are less older cars on the show field

On a side note: Looking at new Challengers, Jeeps and 300's does nothing for me. Just like a picture of a nude man........Keep them parked far away on the hill! I noticed the past few years there are less older cars on the show field

LOL great analogy... like they look "good", but don't give you that feeling like when you see a classic. Few cars are enjoyable to look at at all anymore.

I have an 07 mustang GT as well. I love the car very much. I feel like Steve Mc Queen every time i slide behind the wheel. Its a nice well thought out car. Gives more than a nod to the 67-68 fastback from which it is obviously inspired. But to me it is a NEW car. Wife said i should take it to car shows since cuda is not done. I said, what the hell for. You can see these on a used car lot all day long.

In my early days I never cared for the 40's 50's and such. I am 46 now. Now, after watching American Pickers I can't help myself liking these cars either in their original state or updated with modern motors but leaving the petina on. Those cars can be rescued and I wish I could save a lot of them, but I don't have the cash

It would be cool of there was a shop that would get them driving again and sell them at reasonable prices as they are at least as a base. That's why I enjoyed Junkyard Wars and Desert Valley Auto Parts

you don't have to like them but you are quickly becoming the minority. with how stupid the prices got on classic muscle, their older bodies breaking down, the realization that life is passing by and they are coming to the end seemingly quicker and quicker, those guys are choosing to buy modern muscle. they are enjoying the cars instead of dumping thousands into classics that are years from being done only to be afraid to drive the damn things once done... just the way it is.. you don't have to like it

you don't have to like them but you are quickly becoming the minority. with how stupid the prices got on classic muscle, their older bodies breaking down, the realization that life is passing by and they are coming to the end seemingly quicker and quicker, those guys are choosing to buy modern muscle. they are enjoying the cars instead of dumping thousands into classics that are years from being done only to be afraid to drive the damn things once done... just the way it is.. you don't have to like it
Still going to drive it when done. Would be done sooner but life and family gets in the way a bit. When that slows down as the kids get older i will be right back on it.

those guys are choosing to buy modern muscle. they are enjoying the cars instead of dumping thousands into classics that are years from being done only to be afraid to drive the damn things once done... just the way it is.. you don't have to like it

To use a partial quote, not that I don't pretty much agree, BUT with me, it does not take me years and never afraid to drive it,
Being retire poor, I have the time but lack $$ generally, but I always have a plan. I get it done cheaply one way or another But I rarely pay for any work, just parts and pieces. I Get it running down the road safely, then fix all rust and smooth out the welds, prime and seal it, and keep driving it as I work on it. Only time I tended not to drive a perfect restored car was back in the 90's when I was always restoring a E or B body that was worth a few $$. I hated to get a gravel peck and someone coming to look at it, bitched and claimed they would have to repaint the whole car. BS!! I came close to strangling those types!!

I agree modern cars in general are throw away cars. A 3/4 up truck will hold up longer than any light weight , and If a diesel it will run forever (Cummins that is)... sad world of throw away and immediate gratification, and worthless built chit in some cases????.

As a side note, today I went to get Tx. insurance on my 95 1 t. dodge Cummins, they would only write liability! Funny part is last year, the lumber yard was loading a bundle of lumber into the back of this truck with a forklift, the Mex, slammed it all into the bed, the bed into the cab f---ing it up pretty good. So their ins. paid me. co. wrote it off as a total loss, gave me $6500 and I kept the truck. I fixed it for $500. No doubt I can sell this trck for $7-8000 if I wanted , but the friggin Tx. will not write collision because it is TOO old and worthless! LOL FUNNY how Missouri would write full coverage!!! LOL YES I light my *** off

Still going to drive it when done. Would be done sooner but life and family gets in the way a bit. When that slows down as the kids get older i will be right back on it.

you say that now.. but what if the body lets you down? lots of the classic muscly guys are older now and can't physically do the work and or can't/don't want to pay tyo have it done so they go modern muscle for all the performance they want and in comfort..

Well if my body lets me down, i have options. I am 49 now, i plan on jumping back in with both feet in a year or 2. For now both cars have growing parts collections with them. I plan on starting on my 360 stroker rebuild this fall now that i have collected up enough cash for machine shop work, and have most of the parts rounded up to do the job. As i age, i will be teaching my son to do this type of work. He loves the old cars, why not foster the interest.

Good. Hope it works out for you. Either way it doesn’t change the fact that more and more older guys are selling their old stuff and buying modern muscle. Others are dying off. They are facts that just can’t be argued.

you say that now.. but what if the body lets you down? lots of the classic muscly guys are older now and can't physically do the work and or can't/don't want to pay tyo have it done so they go modern muscle for all the performance they want and in comfort..

It definitely doesn't help that the average American has horrible dieting and exercise habits... eat healthy and work out a few times a week and you won't have to worry about your body giving out at 50. My dad's 51 and works out every day, he can run 5 miles or bench press 200+ lbs at the drop of a hat; definitely motivates me to keep going to the gym and I'm only 27. I want to still be able to crawl under a car and wrench when I'm old enough to retire because that's how I plan to spend the vast majority of my retirement lol.

Exactly.

I’m 49 whatch what I eat and work out 3 times a week when possible. I see a lot of people way younger that are in very poor shape. Aside from some aches and pains probably from stupid stuff I did when young I feel good and can crawl all over and under a car still. I’m sure I will still be able to in a few years too. Just not sure I’ll want to. As it is now the toys are getting less and less time spent on them. I’d rather be out somewhere exposing my daughter to different things. Much rather hit the road with the travel trailer and family and get away for a weekend or more these days. So much in this country to see and do.

The more I read posts about modern vs classic, the more I see people going modern which is fine. What surprises me is that all the car guys (and gals) are almost insulting now to the older stuff, unsafe, slow, doesn't handle and brake and too expensive. This is a new nuance I had not seen in years past. Say what you will about the old stuff but on my street I have my 2006 Go Mango Daytona Charger, numerous other Charges, new Mustangs including a Saleen and a few new Challengers and Camaros and the only time people stop and get out of their cars and chat is when my Duster is parked in my driveway. Workers, passersby, you name it. The other thing I have noticed about new, I can drive my Daytona and no one in a new Challenger or Charger gives it a look, and the same when Challenger people pass each other, which here every fourth car is a new Challenger. Pull up in an old car and people give the thumbs up, etc. I do however feel bad for people who just can no longer work on their cars. I just did a front end lube job and radiator flush on mine and I still enjoy working on it when I can.

Last edited:
I doubt many who own modern muscle really care if the get a stranger to stop and check out their ride or get a thumbs up while driving them. Modern muscle owners have their reasons and classic muscle owners have their reasons.

It definitely doesn't help that the average American has horrible dieting and exercise habits... eat healthy and work out a few times a week and you won't have to worry about your body giving out at 50. My dad's 51 and works out every day, he can run 5 miles or bench press 200+ lbs at the drop of a hat; definitely motivates me to keep going to the gym and I'm only 27. I want to still be able to crawl under a car and wrench when I'm old enough to retire because that's how I plan to spend the vast majority of my retirement lol.
Wow thats great your dad can be that active at 50. I am 49. My wife and i have an eating right diet plan. Some stuff is more healthy than others. I had a #6/7 vertebra fusion in my neck a few years back. Pinched nerves making my hands not cooperate. I was getting numb feelings in my hands , dropping stuff. Got that fixed. Inly get random twitching in my left shoulder and bicep once in awhile. Cant turn my neck as far. Minor annoyances.

Had a bulge in my lower back disc trimmed last summer. It was pushing on my left leg, and wreaking havoc. Could not walk without dragging it. Got that patched up only get minor random twitches in my left calf, again minor annoyances. I keep my wallet in my front pants pocket now to keep my lower spine even. It slowed me down a little bit.

My knees are not too hot either. Spent 18 years crawling around in aircraft doing sheetmetal structure repairs. Impact aerobics es no bueno for me. I now run a sheetmetal shop at the overhaul facility i work at. So most of what i do now is work at a computer, direct my minions as i call the guys who work for me, and deal w parts, scheduling, and people issues

I ride my bike daily if i can, plus i do as much walking as i can in the facility where i work. I protect my knees by not lifting too much weight. Working smarter, not harder. Explained to my wife that sex is great for the heart, a total aerobic workout. Keeps a person young looking, and all the great bennies with it. Told her it will help us to live longer etc. All of which is true. Lots of bennies to it. So not to go any further with that, i keep pretty active LOL. It also helped that i found a good article about it for her to read.

I look at it this way, when the speculators get out of em, then prices will go down, and maybe i can get another 68-70 B body to enjoy before i die.

Last edited:
I doubt many who own modern muscle really care if the get a stranger to stop and check out their ride or get a thumbs up while driving them. Modern muscle owners have their reasons and classic muscle owners have their reasons.
The reason they dont, is to most of them its just a nice new daily transport. I love my 07 mustang, but its just a nice new car. Now if and when those cars reach 35-40 plus years old and end up in the hands of enthusiasts restoring them, and enjoying them people will be giving those " 40 year old modern muscle" cars thumbs up, and want to talk about them, or this conversation will be playing out all over again with modern muscle now being the "old car" in the equation.

45-50 years ago when people bought the cars we now revere as brand new cars, i suspect most people bought them as nice new distinctive modes of transportation. They were all over the place much like modern muscle is now.

The reason people stop to look at our older cars and or strike up conversations is sometimes out of curiosity since this stuff is rarely seen anymore, or maybe someone they knew way back when had one etc. This will come full circle with the current crop of factory muscle cars.

Last edited:
Probably the best thing about modern muscle cars is it drives like a normal car until you get into the gas but worst thing its a normal car until you get into the gas.

I love driving my 68 Valiant its a beast. Driving 10 or 100 mph is fun. Even a trip to the corner store and back is an experience.

I thought about buying an SRT 8 before I bought the Valiant but I got an Avenger RT for normal driving and the Valiant when I want to drive something more brutal.

One good thing about older cars is there a blank canvas for you to make away way you want where a modern car is more limited. Plus I can't see them have a very long shelf life. Imagine trying to restore one of these mordern muscle cars forty plus years from now. With all there electronics. Don't see it.

The reason they dont, is to most of them its just a nice new daily transport.

I don’t know. Go look on a site like moparts under modern cars for sale or a place like challenger talk and look at the super low mileage challengers for sale. They sure aren’t being used as daily transportation. The ones that are showing up at major mopar shows. Some may be daily drivers but the majority of them are show cars for the owners.

45-50 years ago when people bought the cars we now revere as brand new cars, i suspect most people bought them as nice new distinctive modes of transportation. They were all over the place much like modern muscle is now.

Did they? Seems to me like a ton of kids back in the day bought the “modern” muscle of the time to modify, go racing and to take to cruise ins. Kinda like what a lot of modern modern muscle owners are doing with them.

As someone who is 24 I can say none of my friends around my age can afford anything remotely close to a classic car unless it's a turd gen firebird/camaro.

I've had a lot of people tell me it's nice to see a young person getting into classic cars but one thing that's itching the back of my head is how many times I've been left stranded by my "classic" motorcycle. Being a Honda you would think it can go forever but it behaves like the stereotypical muscle car. If it's above 60 degrees it will overheat in traffic, even with discs it can't stop for **** and while it does feel like it has limitless power you're paying for that with your mileage.
Maybe I'm just old before my time.

Did they? Seems to me like a ton of kids back in the day bought the “modern” muscle of the time to modify, go racing and to take to cruise ins. Kinda like what a lot of modern modern muscle owners are doing with them.
Yeah sure i agree with that but only partially. Most people bought them back then as everyday transportation. Slant 6, 318 and 340 cars typically kinda like the V6 and 5.7 hemi challengers are now. Out of all the volume produced yearly. The ones who bought these cars new to show boat em around is a drop in the bucket. Most people back then, like now dont have and didnt have the disposable income ro buy something and not use it daily. Notice i didnt say ALL, i said MOST.

Lots of guys coming back from vietnam with a bit of cash in their pocket picked the hot versions of these cars. But the reality is most were bought as daily transportation. Most of the hot versions were either beaten on an abused by the young people who bought em playing ricky racer and using em as amateur drag cars, and most were discarded when the first oil crisis hit. In the 70s you almost couldent give one of em away. The slanty, and small block cars got ok to decent mileage and people kept em around, but they were general transportation.

Last edited:
-
Back