Importing a Mopar from Canada to The USA

-

CudaLou

67 Barracuda
Reaction score
I’m in the process of negotiating a Mopar in Canada. I feel there is a good possibility of me purchasing the car. However, I’m not vaccinated and can’t get into Canada without the Vax card. Has anyone been through this process lately? Does anyone know what my options are? Can I use a friend who is vaxed to enter and do the deal for me or are there companies that could handle the sale for me? Thanks for any help. Lou

I'm not up on the latest and greatest, but can you buy it and have a shipper/transport bring it across the border?

You sure you need vaxed? Or can you provide a neg test and quarantine?
What's the car? :poke: I'm near the border depending on which crossing you're thinking of using.

Do not listen to the vaxers, they don't care about you, only about themselves. There are brokers and customs paperwork that need to be handled correctly or there will be issues. I used to do it but am not allowed in Canada anymore, anyone who ever had a felony or even one DUI are not allowed into Canada now do to the idiot in charge up there. Contact people at the border crossing, and check online for the correct forms...

You know you can apply for a pardon for that DUI and the same **** applies if we want to go South...

At least the Canada to USA import is painless, you pick it up and take it home simply declaring it to US customs on the way by! For us to bring one North there is only one broker that can do the paperwork for you and you can't do it yourself. They have to have said paperwork, including a title (which limits states we can buy from!), at US customs at least 72 hours before you can bring the car across..and the f'n broker disclaims that they won't guarantee they'll get it done in that time frame. We then have to stop at US Customs on the way home, which is a chore in itself, hope the paperwork is there at US customs, go in and have them officially remove the car from US registration, fill out forms for us and then we proceed to Canada Customs for more forms and to pay tax on the sale price of the car.

Pay the guy to drive it to our side of the border and buy it here. What do they ask for vaccination papers wise? A 3x5 that says your vaccinated...really? There is no federal database on the vaccinated. Arrest record is.....

Importing a Vehicle from Canada | ezbordercrossing

Perhaps you have already looked at EPA and DOT compliance which is more reporting than anything else if the car is over 25 years old. You can complete the forms. Yes a customs broker can get the vehicle across for you.

As to the actual deal, in British Columbia there is a form, APV9T, that is completed to document the sale of the car. The seller will hand over the BC registration at the time of purchase and the sale amount for tax calculation is documented. In your case You would not pay the tax because you are not going to register the car here. Info is all online for this province.

I think It would be best for all docs (Bill of Sale, Transfer form APV9T, etc) to be in the same name if you are going to cross over. If it is someone else other than the new owner that person might have to provide a brief explanation to CPB. As per above you would have already notified CPB you are coming and if tax is payable they get you there.
Happens all the time so all of the info is online. Border towns would likely have a storage lot/pick up point for auto transport to all points in the US.

I am 5 mins from the US/Canada border in BC.

@Dart WR White rock? We partied somewhere there when we were under 21. Came over from Bellingham, WA...Ocean Beach?

Last edited:
Pay the guy to drive it to our side of the border and buy it here. What do they ask for vaccination papers wise? A 3x5 that says your vaccinated...really? There is no federal database on the vaccinated. Arrest record is.....

Not advisable for a foreign citizen who has to declare to CPB that they are bringing in goods to sell. Whole world of hurt.........

Does it work the other way around, ie you driving yours down to Bellingham and selling it here?

Does it work the other way around, ie you driving yours down to Bellingham and selling it here?
Non disclosure at the border either way is not advisable if you want to continue crossing in the future. If there is a process you are expected to follow it. I was referring to a Canadian car being driven south and not declaring that to CPB and not having the docs. I have imported US cars to Canada and as per a previous post you notify CPB in advance, surrender US title, and go to Canadian customs to report and pay tax etc.. All that to say make it easy and follow the process.

Non disclosure at the border either way is not advisable if you want to continue crossing in the future. If there is a process you are expected to follow it. I was referring to a Canadian car being driven south and not declaring that to CPB and not having the docs. I have imported US cars to Canada and as per a previous post you notify CPB in advance, surrender US title, and go to Canadian customs to report and pay tax etc.. All that to say make it easy and follow the process.

CBP not CPB bad typing on my part.

Good lord. Livin in Canada must be a downright PITA.

Thanks for all the help and info. I really appreciate it. If the deal works out I’ll post some pics of the car.

i think the bigger idiot is the one that got the felony or the DUI.. just saying..

while I do agree with you on the idiot part, people change. I haven’t had a drink since 2001 after my last DUI. After folks pay their debt to society, they should enjoy the same freedoms as others except voting rights.

@89on35s bought his duster in Texas and took it back home to Canada. Im sure he will chime in and help out with more info.

Do not listen to the vaxers, they don't care about you, only about themselves. There are brokers and customs paperwork that need to be handled correctly or there will be issues. I used to do it but am not allowed in Canada anymore, anyone who ever had a felony or even one DUI are not allowed into Canada now do to the idiot in charge up there. Contact people at the border crossing, and check online for the correct forms...
im 62, ive never been allowed into the states as i stupidly got a dui when i was 18.u are absolutely correct about the idiot in charge. canada has always been lenient letting americans cross into canada with criminal records,firearms etc.. we used to go to washington and buy mags and tires, half the time the tire store/speed shops would phone border patrol buddies and nail us on duty and taxes

What the hell do all your bullshit stories have to do with helping me. No one cares. I’m trying to get ideas and help with a car. That’s what this site is supposed to be about.

You should be able to have any reputable vehicle transportation company and customs broker manage the deal for you, for a price. I have brought vehicles up into Canada myself, without a customs broker, but the last time was 2011, things might have changed.
My asshole brother did sell a car to an American buyer, and he transported it across the border himself, but I don't know all of the details. I doubt that it was overly complicated, because he wouldn't have done it if that was the case. I do remember that the funds had to be transferred to him before he was allowed to move the car across the border, and he was required to show proof that he had received payment in full before.

-
Back