in dire need of some 68 Barracuda parts

-

Kuda Rag

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a rookie to this sight. I have a non-original Triple Black 1968 Barracuda Convertible that is in need of some apparently elusive parts. The car is a driver, not a show quality car, therefore nice used pieces would be great. If not available, then it will be new pieces if I can find/afford them.

1. There are two (aluminum?) trim pieces that go across the width of the trunk lid between the tail lights. I am in need of the lower piece, but would be interested in both pieces if they are in decent shape, or insight as to where I can purchase new piece(s).
2. chrome/stainless trim that goes across the bottom of the windshield.
3. any of the clear plastic gauge covers and dash knobs.
4. complete ashtray assembly that is in the dash.
5. ashtrays (2) that are in back seat side panels. Can buy new ones $125! WOW!
6. Black rear armrests. They are an irregular shape, not rectangular as most that I have found. At what would be the rear of each piece, it comes almost to a point to one side, congruent with the shaping of the side panels pre-formed ledge that the armrest sits on. Hard to describe. There aren't any bolts or holes through which they are attached, rather there are two clips on the bottom and the armrests are pushed onto the top of the side panels' ledge. confused yet? I haven't found these ANYWHERE.
7. console top pieces and automatic shifter knob, again they are available new $$. Mine are BADLY pitted.
8. Top and bottom(2 piece) dash pads. My top is very badly cracked/worn, two bottom pieces are just rock hard. Prefer dash pads over the covers that you can glue on top of the originals, just due to the poor state of mine.
9. White plastic windshield washer fluid container (that's a mouthful), foot pump type, not electric. $60 new. Might just hook up a container of fluid that you buy at the gas station! lol

I have been pounding the proverbial internet highway(pavement) in search of the above parts, but have realized that right here is quite a more knowledgable group of enthusiasts than I am. Any and all advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you and sorry for being so needy on my first post,
David, another crazy canuck

Hello David,
Welcome to the site. There are indeed many knowledgable (and helpful) people who hang out here. I'll contribute a small part here and I'm sure there will be others who can add much more info.
I owned a '68 ragtop for 4 years until I foolishly priced it last summer. I really liked that car. I put 20,*** miles on it during the time I owned it. It was one of the best older cars I've owned and I drive old cars all the time.

1. Upper and lower trim is reproduced but kind of expensive. The two pieces look very similar but are different. I believe there was a thread on here showing the differences.
2.I'm not sure whether this is reproduced but I think you can find an aftermarket trim that will work decently. I would check with a windshield company. They might know of something that would work off of a later model vehicle. (I'm thinking 70s or 80s truck.)
3.Knobs, used. Gauge covers can be polished.
4.Should be fairly easy to find used.
5.I think the ash trays are 'vert only but I'm not sure.
6.Arm rests are definately 'vert specific. Dart may be the same but I'm not positive.
7.Most seem to be pitted to some degree.
8.Dash pads are '68 only so your choices are pretty limited.
9. Might find something off of a later model you can use.

If you don't want to spring for the high dollar new stuff you just have to be patient and pick up a piece here and there as you find it. I search the ad section here on this board and ebay. If you are patient you can usually find what you need.
Good luck,
Dallas

Hi David,

Welcome to the board!

I can offer you quite a few of the parts you have listed for your 68 Cuda convertible. Please feel free to browse our online catalog at www.laysons.com, there is a link to our catalog in PDF file that you can either browse or download for your convenience.

You'll find some of the most knowledgable MOPAR folks here on FABO that exist on the face of the earth!!!!!!

Let me start by welcoming you to the site!
This is bar none the best site for "A" body resources.
Someone here will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

welcome, i'm not gonna post the # but i will give you a place to call. king- stokes auto parts in King, North Carolina. ask for eddie.he is the a-barracuda man. there are so many helpful folks here. yer gunna luv it.

send a PM to member - jimacuda

He has or had quite a few 68 parts over the years.

I have been out of town for a couple weeks. Thank-you all for the kind words and the advice. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.
David

Welcome David to the best A-bodies site going!Lots of knowledge and help here.Try posting an ad in Car parts wanted Forum.You might be able to get what your looking for quicker.Good Luck!

We're glad to have you aboard David, but quite a few of those parts you've listed are generally classified in this hobby as "un-obtainium." Tough to find and expensive when you do.

You're in the best place to find decent used ones though. Keep searching the For Sale section and post wanted ads every so often.

Welcome to FABO. It's great to have you and your ragtop here.

David, I will be pulling out the 904 trans, shifter, and console from my '68 'Cuda in late spring of this year as I will be changing to an 833. Of course, that will be a few months from now as I am focusing on finishing my shop construction. If you can wait a while, let me know and I can take some pics of it.

Hi Dave and welcome..I have the windshield stainless trim and I believe I have a complete ash tray setup for the dash..let me know if your still looking.

Dave

Hi GTGrinly, If you still have the stainless windshield trim and dash ashtray setup for a 68 Cuda, I am still interested. I just haven't been on here for some time. Please let me know the condition they are in, and how much, and how much for delivery. I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 5P4.
Thank-you very much, Dave.

Hi GTGrinly, If you still have the stainless windshield trim and dash ashtray setup for a 68 Cuda, I am still interested. I just haven't been on here for some time. Please let me know the condition they are in, and how much, and how much for delivery. I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 5P4.
Thank-you very much, Dave.
Have you tried a PM(private message)if you click on a persons name,a list will come up.Click on send a private message and write your message,scroll down and send.Just trying to help you get your parts,it is springtime.Hope this helps!:thumrigh:

-
Back