In need of mentor.

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
... Or just advice here.

I'm lookin for a volunteer I can pm, text, call, Facebook message, etc. to get help, advice, tips and pointers on body work and paint. I'm 19 n haven't done any body work other than some sanding and cut out some rust spots and cut patch panels out of a hood but never installed them b4 I sold the car.

Story is, A few weeks ago I got a 99 Neon (not an A-body but let me explain) I traded my s10 with a knocking motor for it. The neon has a completely rebuilt 2.4 DOHC motor with 9,*** miles on it, everything internal and rubber on the engine was replaced. The car has a really nice body overall, the front passenger side door and rocker have a dent and there's some surface rust and high spots on the hood. I have an extra door to replace the dented one and can get a brand new rocker on eBay for $36 shipped. It's originally gray but has a black hood and bumper, since I'll need to paint the front end anyway I decided I'm gonna fix the few small things on the body and paint the car sassy grass or lime light with a flat black hood and put rallye wheels on it. I basically want to use this car to learn body n paint as I really can't hurt the value of the car, I mean, IT'S A NEON!! Lol!

So the main thing I'm lookin for answers for right now is the good... As far as high spots do you just keep sanding then till they smooth out? What do you use for skim coat, filler, sealer n all that? I wanna keep this cheap as possible as its just my beater work car but I've heard that Bondo brand doesn't stick well but will it be fine for what I'm doing? This will by no means be a show car! Just lookin to learn n hopefully improve my cars looks and value at the same time.
Thanks in advance!

N by all means post advice and suggestions here too!!

Why not just post your projects here so everyone can benefit?

I could do that too TrailBeast. Lol. Just figured since its a neon n not even a classic much less an A I'd keep it off the board as much as possible.

Thanks. I'll have to get me a set. I tried to just tap it down a little but that just caused it top pop in n out like the lid of a canning jar.

Go to you tube....you will get a visual idea of whats going on. I've got a few good pointers that way + read as many threads as possible here that pertain to body work.Lot of very smart people on this forum.

Ok, first question(s). For the hood, should I take the whole thing to bare metal or just scuff it up? What grit paper? What type of sander works best? And if I take it to bare metal what do I use to seal it so it doesn't rust?

Several years ago when my son and I were working on Honda Accords, we found new reproduction body panels for these little rides cost a lot less than the materials needed for repairing. All we needed to do was have a local body shop order the aftermarket panels and they would be delivered there.

Well the factory DOHC cars had the bulged hood to clear the timing belt cover but this one has the DOHC swapped into a SOHC car and he forgot to flip the one motor mount so the motor sits a little higher than stock and it hit the underhood bracing so the PO notched the bracing. So even if I got a new hood I'd have to at least notch that. The high spots are all small and only 1/8" high or so.

I'll try to get a pic of it tonight n see what y'all think.

Well the factory DOHC cars had the bulged hood to clear the timing belt cover but this one has the DOHC swapped into a SOHC car and he forgot to flip the one motor mount so the motor sits a little higher than stock and it hit the underhood bracing so the PO notched the bracing. So even if I got a new hood I'd have to at least notch that. The high spots are all small and only 1/8" high or so.

I'll try to get a pic of it tonight n see what y'all think.

Can you not flip the motor mount and get the engine to sit where it should? Depending on how much out of whack the engine is sitting it may not be real healthy for it in the long run.

He said he thought about it but it was a royal pain to get to it so he just left it. Might have to check into it.

He said he thought about it but it was a royal pain to get to it so he just left it. Might have to check into it.

With the hood support brace cut you will probably have issues getting and keeping the hood looking good. Those cars have really light weight metal that will flex a lot more when compared to our A-bodies.

I texted the PO about it, here's the convo...

Him:You are supposed to flip the trans insert over to lower that side of the engine, i had a hard enough time getting the new insert in the right way that i wasnt about to try it flipped

Me:Oh so it's just the insert?

Him: Yep and its a tight fit

Me: So it doesn't affect anything or wear anything out quicker how it is?

Him: No it doesn't. all I had to do was cut that part of the hood out to make it fit, the mounts are in there the way its originally supposed to be so to last as long as it always would have

Him:You are supposed to flip the trans insert over to lower that side of the engine, i had a hard enough time getting the new insert in the right way that i wasnt about to try it flipped

Him: No it doesn't. all I had to do was cut that part of the hood out to make it fit, the mounts are in there the way its originally supposed to be so to last as long as it always would have

I am old school... There is the correct way and then there is some other way that requires modification of something else to make it work. Personally, I would get it done the correct way and have an unmodified hood that won't give issues later. Got a buddy that works on works on cars that thinks baling wire, duct tape and hose clamps will fix anything. I make decent money repairing what he fuches up.

Can you post pics of the engine and the mounts? I used to own a 2.4L Dohc Turbo neon, and am very familiar how these motors sit and should look.

If he put an insert in the mounts, all that means, to me, is to stiffen up the mounts. Mainly to account for wheel hop. This shouldn't however affect the way the motor is sitting. Unless he put in an insert below the mount??

This a driver or project? If driver dont do anything till you have all the supplies and needed coatings. Makes it easier when you have the stuff on hand also doesnt leave the metal unfinished. You tube is great for this you get the basic ideas.

It's a driver. So far all I've done to it is I sanded a few spots of surface rust on the hood down to bare metal and sprayed em with spray bomb primer to keep it from rusting more.

This a driver or project? If driver dont do anything till you have all the supplies and needed coatings. Makes it easier when you have the stuff on hand also doesnt leave the metal unfinished. You tube is great for this you get the basic ideas.

Ok. Based on that what all will I need?

Plumkrazee70, I'm gonna have to wait till Saturday to get those pics as I've been working from b4 light to after dark all week. Unless I take some at work tmrw.

-
Back