In-Tank Electric Fuel Pump

-

DHD

Reaction score
I'm in the process of plumbing the Fuel system on my Magnum swap, I plan on using an in-tank pump on a modified sending unit but I'm having problems squeezing everything in through the existing sending unit hole. I can fit the pump as long as the fuel sender is not attached and vise versa, but can't seem to get both in. I would like to do this without modifying the original tank, has anyone here done an internal electric pump without major modifications to the tank? Or am I just going to have to cut into it and swap in a newer style sump unit?

I went that way a few years ago and it's been working great!
There are some pictures posted in this thread:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=181027

The sender I ended up using was for an A-100 van as the variable resistor
is located at the top side of the assembly leaving room for the pump on
the lower portion. There is some non-linearity in the gas gauge now due to
this however it just takes much longer to use up the last 1/4 tank...

The original variable resistor could be relocated and the float rod extended
to eliminate this problem, but it hasn't been enough of an issue to warrant
doing.

I recall photos of people installing an external type fuel pump, like a Walbro, inside the tank by just putting it on a rubber hose at the end of the tube, where the sock usually sits. They drilled holes thru the sender plate for electrical wires, maybe sealed w/ epoxy. It seems like the pump would slide in before the float gets to the opening, so should be the same as working a normal sender in. I don't like the idea of high-power in my fuel tank, though most modern cars do that. My Walbro runs fine outside the tank, indeed in the lower engine bay where I can easily swap it on the road.

Thanks for the link Gerrys! that is what I've been trying to achieve, i think the A100 sender will do the trick

-
Back