In the market for a truck...

-

Lecki6

Reaction score
So I've decided that to be in this game I'm going to need a truck... Both for hauling a car trailer and for miscellaneous things for around the house like hauling dirt/gravel or what have you.

I was thinking like a 85 d150 but it seems most are 2wd, what do my mopar people recommend?

If you are going to be towing or hauling very much I would look for a W250. I always prefer 4x4 but either way I'd get a 3/4 ton if you are using it much. I've owned several mid 80s and love them. I think there is actually one in the for sale ads right now.

If you're going back that far and I know I will get flamed here, but so what, Ford had Dodge and Chevy beat all to heck in the truck market that far back. Not so much now, but back then, yes.

If you're going back that far and I know I will get flamed here, but so what, Ford had Dodge and Chevy beat all to heck in the truck market that far back. Not so much now, but back then, yes.

I'll back you on that RRR. :coffee2:

So I've decided that to be in this game I'm going to need a truck... Both for hauling a car trailer and for miscellaneous things for around the house like hauling dirt/gravel or what have you.

I was thinking like a 85 d150 but it seems most are 2wd, what do my mopar people recommend?

sadly, 95% of what you're gonna find that far back are gonna be rusted out, beat to hell basketcases.

I wouldn't touch another Ford with an E40D. They made the 700r4 look like Allison's. However I do really like the 80s fords with the 300 six and a 5 speed. I am also a big fan of the FE 352. I can't say enough good about those motors.

But if you're looking for 4x4 then the W instead of D is what you are looking for. I have a 78 Powerwagon that was abused for many years, an 85 ramcharger and a 77 b300 maxivan. For what its worth I love my hitop maxivan. Its awesome and can tow a car on a car trailer.

If you're handy with a wrench, let me throw another idea at you. Get a van conversion motorhome. Easy to find with a 440. Turn the back into a flatbed and you've got a heck of a machine. I've seen lots of them that have been so converted and kept a small extension of the box behind the cab. Its a thought anyhow.

Full size late 60's to early 90's trucks are on the bottom of the market right now.

Super nice stuff CHEAP.

And I agree that you will really want at least a 3/4 ton. If I were where you are, I'd be looking for a w250 or 350. I'd also look for a crewcab but you will pay for those. I deal a lot with vintage Dodge trucks. A crew cab will cost you but man they are handy.

How about a '95 Dodge 2500 with a V10? It'll pull anything - pulled our 32' 5th wheel effortlessly on a couple of trips from SoCal to Yosemite.
Needs paint and some interior work but the price would be right.
Bought a '09 1500 a year ago and don't use the '95 hardly at all.
PM if interested with your email and I can return some pics.

Full size late 60's to early 90's trucks are on the bottom of the market right now.

Super nice stuff CHEAP.

The 70s Dodge trucks are climbing quick as there is a restoration movement right now in those circles. 2wd can be had cheap unless its a short bed but not as cheap as they were a couple years ago.

I've found that many times I end up in a yard or field when picking up and have needed 4 wheel a lot of times... though a selectable locker can help a huge amount. I tow a lot with that B300 but it doesn't like unpaved roads much... particularly while towing.

Well I've been cruising through CL looking for any gems, would like to get opinions on a couple:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5513823876.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/5425933500.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/5485541652.html

As I'm learning to wrench on things the $500 one sounds good, potential to learn and worst case I can scrap it without losing much, or get lucky and it turns out alright. I have a commuter (14' subie) and a project (72 valiant) so budget wise I'm thinking sub 2k as it wouldn't see that much movement

I like the one that's labeld as a 73. It's about a 78. I would steer clear of anything past 79. That's when they got crazy with vacuum operated systems. Before that, they were very simplistic.

You don't expect to get an ub-biased opinion on THIS site...

I'm a bit biased myself as I prefer the classic dodge looks, but quality over eye candy.. (Please don't shoot me) haha

Rusty is more of an expert than me, but I wouldn't be afraid of those '84's. I ran my '83 300 six about 300,000 miles with very few problems. Those motors, kind of like the slants, are almost bullet proof. The 351 Windsor motor has a pretty good reputation too.

I'd pass on the 460. It's got plenty of grunt but they are very thirsty. However it should be dependable. And like was said, that's not a 73. Likely 79. No dodges up your way? Nice thing about a dodge truck is you have plenty of parts to swap around. Frankly, the 727s are better

Out of that lot, I think 500 for a 250 wouldn't go amiss. I mean... what can you buy for $500 these days?

If I was where you live, I would have this dodge in my driveway by now

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5513011935.html

I bet 1800 would take it home. Ditch the brush guard and get a grill ad bumper... you're set. Where I live, you wouldn't touch that for 4k without some luck. And it's a 4 speed! In the dodge truck world, that's a desirable option just like on cars. Most convert the full time to part time, but my power wagon is still full time and I'm leaving it that way for the foreseeable future. I will say that it either doesn't have the right hood or it's a 79/80. It should have the birdbath hood. But seeing as the grill isn't there I'm betting they hit something and dented the hood, bumper and the grill.

And may I say, I have to envy how clean the trucks are up there. I've seen guys post about sending trucks to the scrap that are nicer than the ones I drive.

Rusty is more of an expert than me, but I wouldn't be afraid of those '84's. I ran my '83 300 six about 300,000 miles with very few problems. Those motors, kind of like the slants, are almost bullet proof. The 351 Windsor motor has a pretty good reputation too.

Naw, no expert at all. It's just personal preference. I like things caveman simple. I had my time workin on computer and electrical diagnosis and that was not my forte, yet I was the best that dealership had at the time, so I got it all. That ruined me of ever wanting anything more complex than a regular wiring harness or vacuum for the distributor, heater and ac or brakes.

I am SURE there are tons of people out there with WAY better diagnostic skills than I.

You're dead right about the 460 bein thirsty.......but in the same post you say you want that W300 4x4. LOL

I am not crazy about the 460 myself. I think the Cleveland style engines are superior. BUt I am biased sho nuff there as mine has a 351M.

I'd pass on the 460. It's got plenty of grunt but they are very thirsty. No dodges up your way? Nice thing about a dodge truck is you have plenty of parts to swap around. Frankly, the 727s are better

Out of that lot, I think 500 for a 250 wouldn't go amiss. I mean... what can you buy for $500 these days?

If I was where you live, I would have this dodge in my driveway by now

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5513011935.html

I bet 1800 would take it home. Ditch the brush guard and get a grill ad bumper... you're set. Where I live, you wouldn't touch that for 4k without some luck. And it's a 4 speed! In the dodge truck world, that's a desirable option just like on cars. Most convert the full time to part time, but my power wagon is still full time and I'm leaving it that way for the foreseeable future.

the 460 powered trucks of those years, either Carbed or Fuel injected, gets 6MPG either loaded pulling a trailer of unloaded. you just go slower loaded. I loved my 460 powered F350, Ad I loved my 390 powered F250 4X4, 1972.

-
Back