Indy Cylinder head 408 Crate motor

-

67mopr

Reaction score
Has anybody bought or heard anything about the 408crate motor from Indy? Didn't seem like a bad price.

Link, price?
Not sure on how to put the link on here. It's on their website this is off the flyer I got and has a pic

375 HP
470 TQ $4,979.95 Dyno be hear to watch. price is with dyno. also has complete ignition, dist. cap, plug and wires. looks like a mopar ignition
cast iron mopar heads
porting-9.5 to 1 compression
crane hyd roller cam
mopar alum. duel plane intake
alum 8 blade pump and cover
600cfm Edelbrock
magnum black valve covers
electric fuel pum required

If you are looking at the $5,979.95 version of the engine, Ask if they will substitute the INDY LA-X Magnum heads for the same price. It will bump up the HP and Torque. Also the alumin heads they are using is the Mopar performance heads which may cause you problems with header fitment (TTI will have to build a one off if you have an early A Body).

You can get the 408 from Indy with either Magnum X top end parts or LA-X heads. They partnered with RHS on recasting the X head design. I have the LA-X pieces on my 408 build and they flow great as cast. Indy has upgraded large valve, 3/8 stem, CNC chamber, and trick spring/retainer options too

If you are looking at the $5,979.95 version of the engine, Ask if they will substitute the INDY LA-X Magnum heads for the same price. It will bump up the HP and Torque. Also the alumin heads they are using is the Mopar performance heads which may cause you problems with header fitment (TTI will have to build a one off if you have an early A Body).
Actually I was looking at the cheaper one. But I had wonderd if they would put the RHS with 202 valves on it.

Save your money and have a 360 built by someone you can trust, for the same money or a little more..and end up with more h.p. then that crate stroker...

I wouldn't buy anything direct from Indy. Once they have your money, even if the item is not right, you have hell getting them to do anything about it. It will be your fault regardless of what happens. I know of two big dollar alum hemi engines from them that didn't last 10 minutes because of the debris left in the engine after machining. If tyhey can't couldn't get those right, what about the lower dollar stuff.

If you must buy one of those engines, I'd buy it through a dealer so you might have some traction if something happens.

Another thing, you may look into what a good machine shop will build the same type of engine for you. I bet you could find one that will give you more power for less or equal money and be a quality piece.

Save your money and have a 360 built by someone you can trust, for the same money or a little more..and end up with more h.p. then that crate stroker...
Ahh Glad you posted that Stroked, actually a buddy of mine will be the one building my engine if I don't get a crate. Well since I have been off work due to back surgery funds have gone down ALOT! I'm sure theres alot of people that have been there and done that. Anyway he said we could get the block done cleaned bored and honed or whatever it needed. Then get a decent performance/ street rebuild kit. Then get some good heads, intake and a cam and thats where the power would come from. have copression around 9 to 1 or 10to 1 have the cam around 292 with the lift around 501.. One guy he talked to said the block worked stroked to a 408 would probly be around $1000. plus roating assemblies are like $1100 and up. I have a LA 360 block, I guess it's around 500 or so to get cleaned bored and decked if I keep it as a 360. Actually thats what I was kinda thinking about some RHS heads w/ 202 valves and decent rockers good cam intake, good bottom end and tti headers.

I wouldn't buy anything direct from Indy. Once they have your money, even if the item is not right, you have hell getting them to do anything about it. It will be your fault regardless of what happens. I know of two big dollar alum hemi engines from them that didn't last 10 minutes because of the debris left in the engine after machining. If tyhey can't couldn't get those right, what about the lower dollar stuff.

If you must buy one of those engines, I'd buy it through a dealer so you might have some traction if something happens.

Another thing, you may look into what a good machine shop will build the same type of engine for you. I bet you could find one that will give you more power for less or equal money and be a quality piece.
Same thing I have heard from three different friends that have purchased big motors from them. All three have been completely redone.
Two big wedges and a Hemi.

Same thing I have heard from three different friends that have purchased big motors from them. All three have been completely redone.
Two big wedges and a Hemi.
DAMN!! Glad you guys have said that. Thats where I thought about getting the RHS La heads from.

Ahh Glad you posted that Stroked, actually a buddy of mine will be the one building my engine if I don't get a crate. Well since I have been off work due to back surgery funds have gone down ALOT! I'm sure theres alot of people that have been there and done that. Anyway he said we could get the block done cleaned bored and honed or whatever it needed. Then get a decent performance/ street rebuild kit. Then get some good heads, intake and a cam and thats where the power would come from. have copression around 9 to 1 or 10to 1 have the cam around 292 with the lift around 501.. One guy he talked to said the block worked stroked to a 408 would probly be around $1000. plus roating assemblies are like $1100 and up. I have a LA 360 block, I guess it's around 500 or so to get cleaned bored and decked if I keep it as a 360. Actually thats what I was kinda thinking about some RHS heads w/ 202 valves and decent rockers good cam intake, good bottom end and tti headers.

Hmm..why 500.00 more for machine work if you go the 408 route its should be the same as going the 360 route,unless you use h-beam rods then the block needs to be clearanced for them,but it shouldn't be 500.00 more...not my choice of heads..but,its your motor good luck with the build..i know i was surprised when i saw the numbers my 360 put down when i needed a motor in a pinch to replace my 416,built right they can be real screamers..

Hmm..why 500.00 more for machine work if you go the 408 route its should be the same as going the 360 route,unless you use h-beam rods then the block needs to be clearanced for them,but it shouldn't be 500.00 more...not my choice of heads..but,its your motor good luck with the build..i know i was surprised when i saw the numbers my 360 put down when i needed a motor in a pinch to replace my 416,built right they can be real screamers..
Thats what I wonderd. I'm gonna call him tomorrow. as far as rods it depends on what kind of rotating assembly I get. I have seen run from 1195 on up. Indy had one for 1195 and so does muscle motors.

I would recommend this engine through Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BPC4080CT/

375 HP
460 TQ
$3,995

Nobody in the business is better with customer service than Summit Racing. DO NOT order from Jegs, they treat you like dirt and are very condescending.

I was getting ready to purchase the 572 aluminum Hemi through Indy Heads and I am glad that I checked the blogs first. It seems that very few have anything good to say about them. I am surprised about that.

Very few have anything good to say about Ray Barton either. Stanton racing in KY seems to be the builder of choice, they assemble the 426 Crate Hemis for Mopar now.

Good luck.

Has anybody bought or heard anything about the 408crate motor from Indy? Didn't seem like a bad price.
I would recommend this Blueprint crate engine sold by Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BPC4080CT/

408"
375 HP
460 TQ
$3,995

Summit Racing has the best customer service in the business. Don't buy from Jegs, they are rude and condescending to their customers and don't know the meaning of customer service. I have dealt with Summit for 25 years without a single problem.

I was just getting ready to purchase the 572 aluminum Hemi from Indy Heads and I am glad that I checked the blogs first. It seems that very few people have anything good to say about them and that surprises me. Same with Ray Barton, very few have anything good to say about him either.

I have read that Stanton Racing in KY seems to be the prefered builder. He also now builds the 426 crate Hemis for Mopar as well as the new style 426 Hemi small blocks making 600 HP.

Good Luck!

375hp from a 408 is very low IMO.MadDart has a 318(stroked to 402)making over 500hp.I also have a 408 making over 500hp.Ofcourse this cost over the $4000 these engines cost.Your best bet is to buy a stroker kit,some RHS heads,use your 360LA block and have a respected engine builder assemble for you.It may cost more cash,but the outcome will surpass any crate engine.This is just my opinion,from experience and reading.Good luck.

Heck, I wish I could have an engine built as cheap as you guys say you can. I am in the process of gathering parts and prices for a similiar build. I have a 1978 360 LA block, 125.00, a forged stroker kit ,Eagle, 1,600.00, if Scat around 1,800.00, both with H-beams. Edelbrock RPM heads, 1,500.00, Airgap, 260.00, machine work about 1,500 - 2,000. Plus then all the nickle and dime stuff, like, oil pump, oil pan, valve covers, lifters, push rods, roller rockers, cam, carb, ignition and the list goes on. A good build will be about 5-7,000. I hope I am wrong but I will feel lucky to get by for that.

375hp from a 408 is very low IMO.MadDart has a 318(stroked to 402)making over 500hp.I also have a 408 making over 500hp.Ofcourse this cost over the $4000 these engines cost.Your best bet is to buy a stroker kit,some RHS heads,use your 360LA block and have a respected engine builder assemble for you.It may cost more cash,but the outcome will surpass any crate engine.This is just my opinion,from experience and reading.Good luck.

There is no doubt that he could spend more money and get more power. My point was simply that he could get pretty much the same build that he was asking about for $1,000 less money and from a reputable supplier.

The old racing addage applies here..."How fast can you afford to go?"

Arrington and Stanton make new style stroker hemis that make 600 HP and higher on pump gas (well over 1 HP per cubic inch) but you will pay over $20,000 for them, which isn't cost effective for the average driver.

My brother is looking for a small block crate for his Dart and we searched for weeks and found that the Blueprint crate is the best bang for the buck.

Sorry for the double post above, I didn't realize that it took so much time to post/hit the blog. The 300C forums hit almost immediately so I thought that my comment didn't go through the first time.

I wouldnt buy a crate engine period. read some of the horror stories on blueprint crate motors...

I wouldnt buy a crate engine period. read some of the horror stories on blueprint crate motors...

I have been searching for the horror stories but have not found them yet.
Can you please provide a link?

I am not being sarcastic but, like I said, my brother is getting ready to buy one. If they are not decent I will tell him to avoid them.

Also, where can I have a stroker small block engine built for that price that also comes with a 30 month or 50,000 mile warantee? Not 30 DAYS like many shops, but 30 MONTHS.

If they are junk I would have a hard time believing that Summit would sell them. If I ever had problems with parts from Summit, they take them back and refund my money with no questions asked.

I am not trying to defend Blueprint, I don't know anybody who has purchased one, but I have also not found a better deal anywhere.

My last engine (440 525 HP) was built by Hughes Engines in Washington, IL and I was not impressed with them at all.

My next one will likely be built by Stanton racing since the blogs on here say that the Indy guys are jerks and rip people off.

I emailed Indy Heads about their warrantee policy on crate engines and they would not even reply to my email! I guess that the stories on this site and others seems to be accurate. I would definately avoid them if I were you.

If you don't go with the Blueprint engine, try Gary Stanton Racing in KY. They are building the 426 Hemis for Chrysler now but they also will build anything and everything.

I talked to them on the phone and, as mentioned on other sites, they were extremely friendly, patient and answered all of my questions. They also run 2 race teams and build engines for World of Outlaws cars.

They will be building my 605" hemi.

Go ahead and buy that blueprint junk. You'll be sorry. Buy the atk performance engine from summit much better quality. The summit salesman even told me so.

-
Back