Indy LA-X Heads on a 318???

-

Reaction score
Was wondering if a person can run the Indy LA-X heads on a 318 with out notching the bore? I know 2.02s need notched, but these heads come with 1.92in and 1.625ex valves. And that is not much bigger than the stock 360 valves. And I know those fit. Look like some nice heads for $975 if they would work. Thanks!

Sounds interesting. These are closed chamber right? I would still unshroud the intakes as best as possible. I hope you get some good responses here. This is interesting.

The 5.2 Magnum truck engines had 1.92 intake valves stock, as did the 3.9 V-6. You should have no problems.

I think they will work without notching the bore, 1.88 intakes are only .040 smaller and they are swapped to 318's alot. Notching the top of the bore would unshroud the valve a little more, which would help, as well as a .030 overbore. I have read that even 2.02's work on a 318 without problems.

Magnums come with 1.92 intakes. I ran a set of magnums on my .040 over LA 318 with no issues.

several articles out there on 400hp 318's with various cylinder heads running 2.02 valves. Stock bore they won't contact, but to get the most out of that combo it couldn't hurt to unshroud the valves

several articles out there on 400hp 318's with various cylinder heads running 2.02 valves. Stock bore they won't contact, but to get the most out of that combo it couldn't hurt to unshroud the valves

Good to know!
All the older articles I have (from the 60's and 70's) Say that 2.02's will hit with out the notches. I always wondered if it was true or not. Thanks!

The valve notching comes from the 273. THOSE need notching with the 2.02s. Might even need it with the 1.88s, I don't know.

The valve notching comes from the 273. THOSE need notching with the 2.02s. Might even need it with the 1.88s, I don't know.

In the book Musclecar & Hi-PO Engines Chrysler small blocks, There is two articles that state the notching must be done on a 318 to keep 2.02's from hitting.

Article one is "Tune-up tips for Mopar small-blocks" Car Craft 1971, shows hot to do it and all. It states that you need .060 valve to block clearance, and that you need to notch the block .070 to acheave this.

Article 2 is "Budget-Building the 318" 1974 not sure what mag it is from. It also states that the cylinders must be notched for 2.02s.

Now I am not saying they are right. Just makes me a little leery is all. If you add up the valves 2.02 and 1.60 you get 3.62 That is getting a little close to the bore of 3.91

I will be happy using the heads with 1.92 valves now that I know they will fit. Should be plenty for a 318 I would think. Thanks!

a 318 has a bore of 3.91..

the LA engine valves open on the centerline of the bore....

2.02 + 1.60 = 3.62....plus maybe .060 between valves....3.68

3.68 is smaller then 3.91....so you dont need to notch a 318 with 2.02 valves..

I have RHS heads with beehive springs prepped by Brian @ IMM. 202/160 valves on my 318....no problems...

Hay thanks to all for the input. Since the consensus seems to be that 2.02's are not a problem I might just go with a set of Edelbrock heads. Will save some weight at the same time! Ah decisions, decisions!

thanks!

In the book Musclecar & Hi-PO Engines Chrysler small blocks, There is two articles that state the notching must be done on a 318 to keep 2.02's from hitting.

There's been lotsa wrong info about this through the years. Same with oversized slant 6 valves. It's just that. Wrong info.

Ran these on a 318 / 349...no notching - 2.02 Valve and a fair bit skimmed off the head.

Image18.jpg

WELDEDTEENHEAD.jpg

A mate of mine did them - raised the roofs and later sealed them with epoxy.

They were alittle "experiment" in increasing velocity and port flow.

I think they peaked at 231 at .500 from memory

-
Back