Indy RHS head failure

-
Please don't take this wrong, but why would a reputable builder use something that he knows has failed? I'm really sorry you had problems and hope your builder makes it right.

They could have all gone out the door before any one of them failed.

Interesting on the Comp keepers..... I'd take one to someone local first and have my own hardness test run if I was thinking of pursuing any damages. And send them to Comp only after an agreement that you can get them back. Ask them how their hardness test works too.

I thought the keepers failed, I said so way up there^^^^^:cheers::burnout:MT

Please don't take this wrong, but why would a reputable builder use something that he knows has failed? I'm really sorry you had problems and hope your builder makes it right.

Sorry for the lack of information. The ones that have failed in the past have been confirmed from over revving the engine. I let him know I've got a MSD 6AL in the car with a 6500 chip. As long as it's working the engine should have never been over revved in my case. He has mentioned he will work with me to get it fixed, not the whole motor but what he can do to help.

I'm wondering if comp got cheap, or maybe there's counterfeit keepers on the market now.

They could have all gone out the door before any one of them failed.

Interesting on the Comp keepers..... I'd take one to someone local first and have my own hardness test run if I was thinking of pursuing any damages. And send them to Comp only after an agreement that you can get them back. Ask them how their hardness test works too.

Sounds like a good idea I will just have to figure out where I can have that done, I live in a pretty small town. May have to ship them out to have that done.

Sounds like a good idea I will just have to figure out where I can have that done, I live in a pretty small town. May have to ship them out to have that done.

I would do this, a lot of times company's know to tell the costumer something, maybe it's bad maybe not. I hate to think how many bad keepers are out there they don't heat treat a handful at a time!!

Anyone in the northwest have any leads where I can send some keepers for a "second" opinion?

If you look locally for Rockwell Hardness testing you can probably find a lab very close by.

A valve keeper is like an O ring. Small innocent looking part, BUT when one fails, catastrophe! Look at what a failed O ring did to the Space Shuttle. :burnout:MT

Anyone in the northwest have any leads where I can send some keepers for a "second" opinion?
I would start by calling some general machine shops in the area, not auto machine shops. Machine work sometimes requires a finished hardness in the part's spec. If you are around the Sleez-attle area, there ought to be machine shops there that support Boeing.

Yeah but those were Chinese

I'm wondering if comp got cheap, or maybe there's counterfeit keepers on the market now.

Hopefully they're not outsourcing to China now like so many other auto parts. That Chinese steel just isn't the same quality. My crappy made in China brake rotors on my daily driver wear out and warp rather quickly. I'm going through two sets of rotors to one set of pads. That's just sub par steel if you ask me.

Hopefully they're not outsourcing to China now like so many other auto parts. That Chinese steel just isn't the same quality. My crappy made in China brake rotors on my daily driver wear out and warp rather quickly. I'm going through two sets of rotors to one set of pads. That's just sub par steel if you ask me.

Blame China all you want, I guarantee there's an American putting the price difference in the sub-par steel in their own pocket. The problem isn't China making the part, it's the customer demand for such low dollar items that producers have an incentive to go to China in the first place. When 99/100 customers buy the lower-dollar item, despite the fact they know it's poorer quality, and the higher-quality items buy up precious shelf space and cost more, it's easy to see why retailers simply drop the better items. But then the person who finally gets fed up with inferior quality has no choice left in the matter. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Yeah but those were Chinese... ;)

No they weren't.

You can search around for machining service providers, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts someone has a Rockwell tester. Keep in mind though that hardness testing typically requires a flat surface. Otherwise the deflection of the part can cause a bad reading.

Also, if you don't know the type of steel and hardening method, you can get bad readings. If it's a case hardened material, you'll get a lower reading than the 'actual' hardness, but micro hardness tests are tougher to do quickly. Best way would be to cut a keeper in half, top-to-bottom, and then test the 'core'. Then flip it onto the OD and test on the ID surface and compare results. You'll need 2-3 tests in each orientation, but the parts are small enough that it's going to be tough to get even 1.

If they're case hardened by design, it will be tough to make any decisions based on hardness. It would take microscopy to tell if the case depth is where it should be and if the material composition is correct and heat treated properly. Also not the easiest thing to do.

None of this testing is terribly expensive, but all told would be several hundred dollars to do through a competent lab. That can be cheap if it means getting any significant compensation for the destroyed motor from any of the component manufacturers.

Guys.... The Chinese comment was a joke...lol
If they got a bad batch it would be no different than the Crane rocker adjusters from a few years ago. It happens, and using a reputable name is the best way to minimize exposure. But that's the best you can do.. Minimize exposure. After that it's up to the parties involved to handle it in a way that both find acceptible.

Maybe check with a materials testing lab. Like the labs that do weld tests and such. They might have the capability to do such a thing.

Guys.... The Chinese comment was a joke...lol

Actually its pretty true the stock made in America front hubs on my(gone now explorer) lasted 90k i went THREE sets of made in China junk in less then 3 years:violent1::violent1::violent1:

Fyi, if you need hardness testing done while you watch, contact the nearest university with an engineering or materials science program.

I can probably get them tested if you want to send me a couple.

-
Back