indy "x" heads or edelbrock rpms?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking at placing an order on some heads. I am unsure on which ones would be best for my build and would like some input.

the engine is as follows,

360 .30 over w/kb 107's (block not decked)
gonna guess at about 9.5 compression using thin gaskets

hughes cam 5660AS
.579 intake lift
.587 exhaust lift
256 deg. intake duration @.50
260 deg. exhaust duration @ .50

will be running an RPM Air Gap intake w/750 Mighty Demon

I have a 3600 - 3800 stall converter from CRT

running 4.10 gears & 26" tall tires

vehicle weight is about 3100lbs

I am looking at the indy X heads through hughes engines part# hug-20301-sp they are "super prepped"

but not sure if the edlebrock super prepped rpms would be a better choice part# hug-60779-scp

it see's the track about 80% of the time, tell me what you think, also if there is something in the build that should be changed let me know also.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO HAS INPUT TO SHARE!!

The eddys would allow for higher compression (more power) because they are aluminum

The eddys would allow for higher compression (more power) because they are aluminum

He's already got a deck height and piston so choosing on the basis of more compression is a moot point.

I wouldn't buy wither set from hughes... You can get better parts from elsewhere, especially the X heads.

Of the two choices you posted, the X heads will outperform the ede's.

Indy from Brian at IMM. Best price and flow great. Also not much more to get them to flow close to 300 at 500-550

Thanks guys I have heard of some problems with hughes in the past but have never had any problem with them myself.

Also would the air gap be a good manifold to use?
I also forgot to mention I'm running spitfire headers.

the way the engine is now I dyno'ed it and it made 275 hp at the wheels, with a strip dominator intake. I will be degreeing the cam and doing the head & intake swap..... any ideas on a hp rating?

Should be in excess of 450hp with the X heads...

Run the air gap, it's a good intake.

Brian has a MUCH better value than Hughes on those X heads.

I don't, normally do this. This setup,dead on IMM. saves money, in the long run.

And the difference, that airflow, for real....Spent 40+ hours,porting LA heads,Garbage,OOTB,Eddys..

I saw an article in Mopar muscle that showed 90s swirl port heads have more potential than xheads buy them from a junk yard and get some work done they will be way better.

I think the OP is talking about different X heads than the old mopar 894 casting.

No comparison between the Indy X heads and old mopar iron.

If it was being built "from scratch" I'd say get RPMs and have them properly gone through. But as it's a shortblock that's already built I'd say the Indy Xs would be good and IMM is fairly close (CA). Anything "super prepped" from hughes would be subject to the same "check and correct" as new RPMs.

I think the OP is talking about different X heads than the old mopar 894 casting.

No comparison between the Indy X heads and old mopar iron.

Thanks for clearing that up crackedback, is right I'm looking at the new castings from Indy.

I will be getting ahold of Brian at IMM for an order.

I had a best of 12.86 in the 1/4 when it was a 4 speed. With these changes is it too much to expect low 12?

Thanks for clearing that up crackedback, is right I'm looking at the new castings from Indy.

I will be getting ahold of Brian at IMM for an order.

I had a best of 12.86 in the 1/4 when it was a 4 speed. With these changes is it too much to expect low 12?
With the Indy heads and his lower priced port job, I would say low 12s should be a lot easier.

As long as it 60's, it would run 11's easy.

Should MPH in the 115+ range

Hello all, I am looking at placing an order on some heads. I am unsure on which ones would be best for my build and would like some input.

the engine is as follows,

360 .30 over w/kb 107's (block not decked)
gonna guess at about 9.5 compression using thin gaskets

hughes cam 5660AS
.579 intake lift
.587 exhaust lift
256 deg. intake duration @.50
260 deg. exhaust duration @ .50

will be running an RPM Air Gap intake w/750 Mighty Demon

I have a 3600 - 3800 stall converter from CRT

running 4.10 gears & 26" tall tires

vehicle weight is about 3100lbs

I am looking at the indy X heads through hughes engines part# hug-20301-sp they are "super prepped"

but not sure if the edlebrock super prepped rpms would be a better choice part# hug-60779-scp

it see's the track about 80% of the time, tell me what you think, also if there is something in the build that should be changed let me know also.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO HAS INPUT TO SHARE!!

Should run easy 11s if it 60 fts....

This answer alone disqualifies you from answering any more questions. Please step away from the key board. The type of metal the head is made of is a poor guide to the power potential of the head.

They really don’t make more power-by themselves. Aluminum can dissipate heat better than cast iron heads, allowing the temperature in the chamber to be lower. This permits the compression ratio to be raised without raising the octane level in your fuel. The raised compression is what makes more power. Raising the compression still higher requires a switch to higher octane race fuels

http://www.worldcastings.com/customer_service/8/Why_do_aluminum_heads_make_more_power?.html

They really don’t make more power-by themselves. Aluminum can dissipate heat better than cast iron heads, allowing the temperature in the chamber to be lower. This permits the compression ratio to be raised without raising the octane level in your fuel. The raised compression is what makes more power. Raising the compression still higher requires a switch to higher octane race fuels

With all respect to you I disagree. Not with the theory but with the way it's written... Aluminum doesn't "allow cooling" of the chamber. By it's very nature it makes the chamber pull heat from the combustion process faster than iron. That takes away efficiency from the process. That's why the builder should raise the static ratio - to make up for that lost efficiency. But through the process of that raising you do not create a need for race fuel. In fact aluminum chambers are less prone to detonate at higher cylinder pressures. That's why I said a "clean slate" build the RPMs are my top choice. A good builder will make the same power given the same air flow, you still have to pay for valve job/assembly work, they are easier to port, and take a bit of weight off the nose especially in regard to the IndyXs. It's win, tie, win, win in my opinion.

you are not disagreeing with me...you are disagreeing with World Casting....that was a direct quote from their website... email them.....lol

Nah. That makes more sense that it's written by a major corporation...lol. It's still hazy in the reasoning. After following the link I'm sure they have the same skilled help that Comp does on the tech lines.

-
Back