infamous 4 speed whine?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
hey guys ive heard of the infamous 4 speed whine. when exactly do you hear it. cause i cant hear it whine till i let off the gas lol.

Yep sounds like mine. The old trannys are loud.

The loud whine heard in reverse is because reverse in any manual trans that I have ever seen uses straight cut gears, as does bull low in most truck transmissions, and pre synchro car transmissions. Straight cut gears are stronger, but noisy. The infamous Muncie rock crusher transmission was noisy in forward gears because it used gears that were cut near straight, for strength. Helical gears are quiet, but are much harder to shift or engag while rotating (straight cut gears can be by double clutching), thus helical cut gears use synchros.

my NP435 in the ol 74 power-less wagon likes to whine in decelleration, it happens. ive seen more than one unit go 300,000+ and whine the entire time.

The whine of a stick transmission, and I'm assuming you are talking about modern Mopars and NOT an old "crash box" also depends somewhat on the condition (or lack of) a nice tight shift boot, and sound is also transmitted by the shifter. Floor mats, deadening, all pay a part.

"Back then" a buddy and I both bought new cue balls, drilled and tapped them and used them as shift knobs. Mine on my 69 RR, he on his 70 4x4 Chev truck. Both of those damn balls increased noise radiated into the cab, and we both eventually removed them, not realizing for several weeks that both of us had done so for the same reason.

I never thought my Mopar 4 speeds were particularly noisy.

Nothing beats a crash box in about a 48 Ford flathead pickup for "sound."

3RD gear...

Dads '68 340 4spd always whined in 3RD. The harder it was pushed, the louder it howled. He changed the lube later on and it quieted it down, but without the song it wasn't quite the same anymore.

My Comuter bubble also whines in 3RD gear (2011 Focus), the dealer says it's normal (shrugs). It's done that since I drove it off the lot.

I had a 70 RR that would whine and got louder as you went up thru the gears.4th was the loudest, the front bearing in the tranny was on it's way out.Changed it and noise was gone.Lasted a few years that way, was waiting to change the clutch at the same time.Just a thought.

-
Back