Inferno Red 74 Duster!

-
I had a great couple days off! The kids were home with me, so I didn't get as much done as I'd like, but they are great to have around anyway.

I got the motor and trans out of my donor car. It turns out that I have a 904, not a 727. That will teach me for blindly trusting. I loaded the motor and trans on my trailer so I can take it to a pressure washer as soon as possible.

Why does this picture look familiar?...

Hmm, I remember! It was on that A-body facebook page where I got into an argument with some moron about the 904.
He kept saying that the 904 was a weak piece a junk that can never be made to handle a lot of horsepower.
(Emphasis on the never, sheesh)
Never mind the fact that technology has advanced quite a bit since the 70's
The funniest part was he said the 360 is a boat anchor and is made for trucks only. :banghead:

Methinks that guy was still stuck in the 70's. :banghead:

I think I like the way this turned out! I'm probably going to put a cup holder in the old ash tray area. Eventually I'd like to redo this by smoothing it out and having it hydro dipped to look like carbon fiber. I just painted the old console body and it looks great!

I have the aluminum body that comes with the Hurst Quarter stick. I thought about cutting it and attaching it somehow to clean up the top. But I kinda don't think it needs it.

Cley

Attachments

• console 6.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 411
  • console 3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 406
Package tray and rear speakers are in. Weatherstrip installed on doors and windows adjusted. Dash all in and done. Now if I would just stop running the paint on the steering column every time I paint it, that will be in too.

Turns out that the headliner I had for the car was the wrong one! I wish I had known that prior to covering it in vinyl. It was shorter but wider than I need. I think it must have been from a Scamp instead of a Duster.

Hopefully soon I can get someone to install my vinyl top and my front and rear glass. Then I will be seeing some progress!

Attachments

• 20160319_131348.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 357
I'm working on the interior and exterior at the same time! I lifted it up and got the driveshaft, the e brake cables and exhaust in. I'm still screwing around with the passenger side tail pipe, as I needed to cut a section out of it so it would tuck up where it should.

I put my front chrome bumper on but will be on the lookout for a nicer one. Same with the back bumper. It is way rougher than I remember. They will have to do for now because I really want to drive this thing! Both bumpers are getting tucked in to the body. For the front, I just slotted the factory mounting holes and it slid back exactly where I think it should be. The back is not quite so easy. I disassembled the rear shock mounts and am modifying them to work by removing the spring shock part and shortening them to work. I was hoping to leave the heavy steel backing for the rear bumper alone, but in order to tuck it in where I want it, I`ll likely need to modify that too.

The interior is coming along too. I got the console in and hooked up. I`m really happy with it! I recovered the door panels with plain black vinyl. They look really cheap. Definitely wont be there permanently (They likely will). My modified steering column is in for likely the final time. I even got the stereo working which only really matters to my kids.

It`s definitely getting fun!

Cley

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 391
  • 3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 5.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 8.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 384
20160501_105816 (800x450).jpg

20160601_093541 (1024x576).jpg

My exterior is done for now. The interior is 2/3rds done. Then everything under the hood goes in and it's cruise time. After a good wash that is! And some suspension adjustments, and, and, and!

Cley

Looking good, you defiantly have to wash that baby off before you go cruising.

Great looking color.

Well here it is, Exterior done for now, Interior done for now, I finished up the fuel line, trans cooler lines, grounded the fuel sending unit this weekend, so now all I have to do is figure out what I am going to do with the tank vent.

I pulled the intake off because I have to remove the P.S. head due to a screwed up frost plug in the back of it. As soon as the top end is back together I need to get everything under the hood buttoned up and away we go right?

Of course it is never that easy!

Cley

Well I learned something last night. If you don't plug in the distributor you get no spark. If you have no spark your car won't start. If you whirl it over toil the battery is dead before you find the distributor issue, you are best off to have a beer and go to bed cause 4:30am is very early.
27.jpg
30.jpg

Most people already know this but I'm not as sharp as most people.

Cley

Well after much more hassle than was necessary, I got her running, driving and loaded on the trailer.
20160723_214354.jpg
20160723_214416.jpg
20160723_214447.jpg
20160723_214500.jpg
20160723_214517.jpg
20160731_151634_1470149227642_resized.jpg
It was kind of a last minute thrash caused only by my own foolishness. I ended up putting the plug wires on the cap in the wrong rotation. This caused a massive backfire that caused the timing chain to jump a lot! So,anyway after a new double roller that I needed any way as it turned out, it still wouldn't start. Now I'm mad. That's when I figured out the plug wire mix up and all was good! I just had to fix a loose fitting on a trans cooler line and a hung up starter and I was off to the burn out pit!

I still need to learn how to speak Holley as It doesn't idle well until warmed right up. It is also not charging and badly needs a wheel alignment. After that I will step back and enjoy the car a little, then dive back into it again this winter, finishing the AC underhood install, Get the correct 26" rad re-cored and reinstalled, Recover the front seats and install side stripes and a 70 wing. Oh and I badly need to polish those aluminum slots.

I am super happy as is even though it is far from finished. Taking her for a cruise was so worth it! I even took it to my first car show as a participant in my hometown homecoming car show.

Cley

Thanks! taking the family for a cruise to Dairy Queen last night was the crowning point of the weekend.

Cley

Well I got a few miles on my Duster this year! So that goal is met! It wasn’t June but August when I first drove it. After my first time out, I uncovered an ignition gremlin that I am still not confident is totally gone. I did however take my son into the city for a football game in my car and it was awesome for both of us. 70 mph at 3000 rpms with the windows down felt great! It made the entire resto process well worth it.

I also unearthed a front suspension issue that prompted me to park it for the year. I’ll redo the entire front suspension over the winter and be ready when the snow melts! But I think that kinda sounds like something I said last fall too!

Cley

Well it’s been a while since I updated this thread. Once it ran and drove, I was so happy, then to get sidelined by a front suspension issue really let the wind out of my sails. I have been piddling around with some small stuff lately but now I am ready to get back at it more seriously.

As far as my front suspension goes, I think I must have severely screwed lower control arm bushings. Hopefully the K member is not screwed too. What happens is when I get on the gas, the front end rises as you would expect but it doesn’t settle back down to ride height because the torsion bar keys end up resting on the frame rails. I am not going to take this apart until I get all my lower control arm parts, tubular upper control arms and 1.03 torsion bars because I want the car to stay movable.

20161230_141639.jpg

I have used an old dash face along with some thin metal and fiberglass to make a new gauge carrier plate. It turned out pretty good, but I can’t see it staying red like in the picture. I’m looking at Intellitronix digital gauges but still need to do some more research. Also considering Dakota Digital.

20161230_145919.jpg

I have also been looking at this old hitch that I got with a 73 bumper I bought a couple years ago. It will likely serve no practical purpose but I think I will blast it up and paint it before installing it on my car. I think I have to figure out a way to support the back of it other than the spare tire well cause that seems kinda hokey. Maybe I can span from frame rail to frame rail with angle Iron or channel to keep the pressure off the tire well. I do get this feeling that my car would look great pulling one of those old Vanguard Banshee ski boats from the 70s if I could find one for a decent price!

20161229_143517.jpg

The big project I have started looking at is an 8 ¾” rear end for the spring. I purchased what I thought was an A body 8 ¾ housing a couple years ago, but when I put it up on the bench and threw a measuring tape on it, It measures 55 and ½” flange to flange. Definitely wider than an A body housing. It also has spring perches at 44” on center putting it in B body territory. So now I am looking into having it cut to A body width or possibly using it at the width it is at now and just relocate the spring perches. I really want stock A body width so the axles and rims I already have will work but I have to weigh out all my options.

I am really glad to be getting back at this, but my upcoming bonus will dictate exactly how much gets done this year. The front suspension will be done for sure, as well as a few other small things to make it drivable. Maybe I’ll have to have a spare parts sale to fund the rear diff build up, cause I’d really like 4.10 gears to hit the strip with this spring.

Cley

That old trailer hitch is kind of neat and I even remember bolting one in through the spare tire well when I was young.

Ad far as gears go I had 3:90 gears in one of my old Dusters and dam did it rev on the highway, so if you are not into to much highway driving 4:10 gears will work for ya. I think I ran a 265 50 14 back then so it might of helped a bit if I had a taller tire, but dam does it make a difference in off line acceleration going from my old 3:23 to 3:90's.

My plan is for 275/60-15s. I will do an overdrive of some sort as my next major project after the diff. I have a 3.23 centersection already so I will be able to swap to that for long trips. I'm looking forward to trying it out at the strip with the 4.10s.

Cley

Well, winter will be over before I know it so I better get my but in gear and make this car ready for the road! I pulled the grille, bumper etc. off so I could fit an AC condenser up there in front of the 26” factory rad. I think I’ll put a trans cooler up there too. I am taking the rad to the rad shop to have them check it out and fix a couple little things. I will ask them how much to recore it (3 core) and likely go that route since I want reliability more than anything else. I have a 5 blade, 18" fan and I need a clutch for it (Low profile Hayden). The factory fan was a 7 blade so I may need more fan.

20170127_124731.jpg

I found an intake that will allow me to use a stock 85 Dodge truck AC compressor and brackets, so with some custom hoses and a mix of stock and aftermarket pieces, I hope to have a functioning AC system this year too. I was going to use the condenser from the same truck but it doesn't quite fit and its not the best for modern refrigerant. I have found some aftermarket universal ones that may work but I want to avoid cheap China made crap and not having luck finding anything else. It needs to be about 26" wide, 14" deep and max an inch thick.
20170127_105628.jpg

I sealed up the windshield with rope caulk and it passed the ”dump 5 gallons of water on me” test so I am hoping that will be taken care of. I will do the back window too.

I have been fooling around trying to wrap my steering wheel with vinyl (Superior 500 with foam grip). It seems to be working out OK and I am learning lots. When I have it the way I like it, I’ll redo it in black leather. Upholstery really interests me and I want to try and recover my front seats to somewhat match my rear seats with matching width vertical stripes up the center.

I have a bunch of little projects that I can do over the summer for free like my "Line Lock" cause I already bought the stuff I need to finish them. I have some M/T valve covers I'll put on when I change intakes. But that stuff doesn't even hit the budget!

I am waiting for my bonus to come through before I allow myself to think about doing any more. Next on my hit list will likely be gauges. My fuel gauge is the only factory gauge that works and I have cheap Equus gauges temporarily hanging under the dash looking like crap. I’m thinking Dakota digital. I really like their stuff from the research I have done and my buddy installed it on his old international truck. He was very happy with it too. They also have a cruise control system that looks like it would be a nice addition.

No matter, I really want to be back running and driving when the snow melts. The ground hog gave me a little more time today which is good and bad. I'm ready for winter to be over! And I usually love winter.

Cley

20161230_141639.jpg

20161230_141639.jpg

20170127_124731.jpg

I picked up my sweet 26" rad recorded to 3 core. Should be no more overheating problems now! My old one is a 19" 3 core and it was fine on the highway but got hot idling in traffic. I know a shroud and better fan would have made a huge difference but since I'm putting the AC parts back in I don't want to worry about keeping my cool. It wasn't cheap but it's exactly what I want for my car. I have dreams of Power Tour some day and reliability needs to be top priority!

Cley
20170210_095911.jpg
20170210_095920.jpg

Cool is good Cley! I would love it if you would take lots of pictures of the AC set up going into the car. My car is also going to have the factory AC go back into it and I could use a ton of pictures to show me the way. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't wait to drive it this spring! My new to me intake just showed up too so all I need now is time.
Cley

I was picking up parts today and I saw this. I had to stick it on to say I did something this month!

Cley
20170317_111251.jpg

-
Back